Semaphore signals- help needed on type and location

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

I'm looking for some help regarding the type of signal that would have been sited at the location marked X on the attached please.

please note the following.

locaation/time period- BR,late 50s/60s - West Yorkshire.

there is a somewhat restricted view as the exit from the tunnel is on a curve

access can be gained, over the crossover to the down avoiding line and a group of 4 sidings

straight to access the platform and up avoiding lines

the tunnel is fairly short but I know its unprototypical to have a signal so close to the exit (bear with me!)

So from the drivers point of view he needs to know if he is cleared for up main, up avoiding line, down avoiding line or sidings.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Depending on the line speed and having regard to adequate signal sighting it might be better if any routing signal(s) were located before the tunnel.

Edited by Right Away
Superglue on fingertips!!!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Depending on the line speed and having regard to adequate signal sighting it might be better if any routing signal(s) were located before the tunnel.

Where you don't have to model them - bonus!

Richard

52 minutes ago, Right Away said:

You could have an underslung or very low bracket type. The one at Weekday Cross outside Nottingham Victoria was I think an underslung one, although in later years could have been a colour light. The one at New Basford to the north a low bracket from memory.

There's a low bracket type at Melton Mowbray I think where the arm is mounted almost level with the walking platform on the bracket. 

Edit: memory just kicked in, well I've been up since 03.00, some of the platform end signals at Victoria were both underslung and very low brackets. A picture search should bring up some examples.

Edited by great central
Memory

• RMweb Premium

Actually I really like modelling signals. But yes I did think the signals may well be placed before the tunnel. I'm thinking about a gantry rising from the opposite side of the tracks (better sighting) but in terms of arms what would it look like and could I fit it all in? Under slung might help LN this.

any other ideas - drawings???

This is an Ebay ad, so it might disappear

PCD-07699.jpg

At the far end of the tunnel are a pair of bracket signals positioned so there is light behind them. That way they can be clearly seen from inside the tunnel. There are drawings and images in Richard Foster's book

Now, this is a guess - Is the signal on the left of the tunnel mouth for the line approaching the camera through the tunnel? Mounted on the 'wrong' side because of the curvature?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• RMweb Gold

Perfectly possible to have a short posted signal at the exit from the tunnel, if the tunnel was short enough there would possibly be a banner repeater on the approach to it which would repeat the main arm only.

You show a line as being bidirectional, is this for passengers ? freight ? or a siding ?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

At the far end of the tunnel are a pair of bracket signals positioned so there is light behind them. That way they can be clearly seen from inside the tunnel. There are drawings and images in Richard Foster's book

Now, this is a guess - Is the signal on the left of the tunnel mouth for the line approaching the camera through the tunnel? Mounted on the 'wrong' side because of the curvature?

Richard

The signal at the far end of the tunnel is at Pighue Lane Junction and is a gantry with under slung dolls (they drop down from the span rather than being mounted on top of it) - I have a photo of me standing on its replacement.

The signal at this end, of which this shows a rear view, is Olive Mount Junctions home from Pighue Lane and is, as you say, for the line furthest to the right as the view is looking - the shunt ahead (small arm) on the post was used for shunt moves which involved running round trains in the tunnel !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To get in three arms is as much of a problem as the height. You could use something like this coming into New Street on the Down Midland line

http://warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br1796.htm

Not much clearance from the dome of the Crab when pulled off for platform 9. This was later replaced by a colour light.

There were some underslung ones at New Street as well following the provision of low canopies on the North Western side when the overall roof was removed. There are pictures on John Turner's (aka 53A Models) Flickr site. Others on there at Hest Bank and Buchanan Street to name but a few.