Liverpool - Drax Biomass

lankyphil

My place of work has recently moved to inside Liverpool Docks. So i'm now treated to sitting at the Level Crossing when (loaded) biomass trains leave for Drax. A few questions though,

1. The train leaves the biomass sidings, and runs about 200m to Regents Road LC, where it stops for a minute, before returning to NR metals and setting off down the branch. I assume that the stop is to get permission off NR, but by that point the loco and the first 5 wagons are sitting on the single line access to the docks. So why don't they get permission before they leave the biomass yard? As nothing can come the other way till the biomass train has cleared the lead?

2. The incoming (empties) run along the Chat Moss line, turn right at Olive Mount junction and then up the branch. However, the outbound (loaded) trains run, top and tailed (complete with idling and manned rear loco), down the branch, into Tuebrook sidings, reverse, then straight back out to Manchester. How come they don't use the new chord at Olive Mount and save on running a light engine up the branch to fetch it back down?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The stop exiting the docks is bizzarly to activate the now closed regents Rd level crossing lights!

also in the cupboard is a ‘line clear’ indicator to let the driver know there is nothing occupying the track between the start of NR metals and the signal protecting bootle jn

the top and tail train runs into tuebrook to remove one of the locos, the rear loco banks the train up the branch hence why it’s manned, I’ve not actually done that move so I don’t know which loco is removed on arrival (ie remove the rear one and run the lead loco round OR just remove the lead loco and use the ‘banker’ to work the train forward) 

micheal Delamar is your man regards the docks, he used to be shunter there and is now a driver who regularly works those trains, I’ve only done a handful of trains into the docks and tuebrook since I started with Gbrf but have worked in and out of there with fastline and colas since 2008

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, lankyphil said:

And so it becomes clear... Cheers Jim, Didn't realise the branch was steep enough to need a banker, hence that thought never crossed my mind!

It is! I clearly remember struggling up it with a Class 40 way back in 1973; it wasn't a happy engine!

Plans by the LMS to introduce longer trains were taken up by the LDC following complaints by the guards. In the event of a runaway, they would have no chance of controlling the train. The plans were cancelled.

Yeah train is too heavy for a single 66 to run straight through, runs into tuebrook, lead loco detaches and the rest goes back in the opposite direction off to drax. 

The light engine then comes back to LBT for the next set.

getting the 60’s was i believe to get rid of the need to do this as they can pull the train out of the branch and straight through on their own, freeing up 66’s for other tasks. not sure why they have gone back to the old way of doing it.

Edited by Erixtar1992

• RMweb Gold

In the days I used to inhabit the docks, permission to leave the cabin was given by the shunter, there was a simple diagram in the cabin, this had a couple of track circuit indicators for the double track to Bootle/Edge Hill, an arrival track on the approach to the stop board under the bridge and a departure track which was basically from the start of the double track to Bootle Junction. When this departure track was clear the train could depart although the shunters would normally speak to Edge Hill and check the line was clear to Edge Lane so the train would get a green through Bootle and not get checked on the bank.

Once the train left the cabin it would drift down to the crossing at Regent Road and the driver would then get out - or ask his assistant ;>) - and plunge to operate the crossing lights.

EWS used single 66s (as well as 60s) on coal trains to Fiddlers and Ratcliffe, not sure how those loaded compared to the GB Biomass trains. I guess GB want to be sure there wont be any issues. EWS had occasional problems with 66 hauled trains struggling on the bank particularly on damp autumn mornings when leaves added to the problem - Big Jim had one such struggle as I recall when he was with Fastline.

Unfortunately my permit was withdrawn after the 9/11 attacks and so I lost touch with the operations from 2001.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Unfortunately my permit was withdrawn after the 9/11 attacks 

I knew you were a bad un’!

dave is right I did get stuck one night and had to fill my hard hat with sand to get some on the rails between the docks and bootle jn, the problemnis you have the 5mph crossing and 15mph facing points to clear so you can’t give it some beans until you exit the first tunnel where the line is dry and then you hit the leaves and slip to a stop!

unofficially you used to go faster than the 20mph line speed after bootle jn to get a flying start at the bank, getting a train over line speed (not saying by how much!)  would result in it getting down to about 5mph by the top of the bank at Walton 

• Like 1

The loaded trains are usually routed from Tuebrook via Liverpool South Parkway station, Runcorn, Acton Bridge, Hartford Jnc, Northwich, Altrincham, Northenden, Stockport, Denton Jnc, Ashton Moss Jnc, Brewery Sdgs Jnc, then Rochdale, Todmorden as per outward empties route. This is to keep the loaded trains off the direct Chat Moss line avoiding the passenger services.

Cheers Paul