Basic DCC controller - options?

south_tyne

Hello all,

I am after a little advice if possible from those far more knowledgeable than myself. I am building a really small micro-layout and will need a DCC controller to operate it. I would just be after something very basic, as it is just a 'one engine in steam' type of diorama, so we are talking the most simple kind of unit on the market. I am no DCC expert and, in fact, only have the one locomotive at the moment which I would like to run... so we're not exactly talking about an empire here!

So, can anyone offer any suggestions for a cheap and cheerful controller to meet my needs? 

Many thanks in anticipation for any advice or suggestions. 

David 

• RMweb Gold

I think it depends on what you want that "one engine in steam" to actually do. Even the smallest layout can benefit from a sophisticated DCC controller, if the need is there for the additional functionality that the controller gives. It also depends on whether you want to upgrade this controller for your next layout, or throw it away (figuratively) and start from scratch. 

For instance, it really helps to be able to read back the decoder CVs from the loco you are programming, and not all controllers do this. On a small layout, it can help improve operation by tweaking the variables controlling acceleration and braking for shunting etc. 

If you're really sure you only want something basic, the Bachmann EZ Command is a good starter controller. 

https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Bachmann-36-501-E-Z-Command-Digital-Train-Control-System-Bachmann-36-501.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9pDpBRCkARIsAOzRziv5AIFWxHaWhwNmihEZ5ViAJEkgifUoehw7nyUa-hX4gSgILqJDMeUaAqgSEALw_wcB

But for not much more, you can get something more sophisticated and upgradeable, eg NCE PowerCab, which is highly recommended by everyone who has used one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/60679/nce_524_042_nce_power_cab_2_amp_digital_dcc_controller/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little more information about what you want from it will be helpful.

What made you choose DCC in the first place?

You have not mentioned what scale you are using. Larger models can require more current, but most basic or starter systems will provide enough for anything up to & including O gauge.

• Like 1

If it is a small layout, perhaps intended for display - with therefore little space around it, you might wish to consider a wireless handset - so that you can operate the layout from further away than some of the viewers -making it seem 'more magical'?

Alternatively a SPROG controller - which can be run with a Raspberry Pi - would make a small, economical controller, which would not only allow some basic 'automation' / sequencing - but also offer a full range of facilities for 1 loco at a time.

• Informative/Useful 1

As the DCC columnist for Model Railroader magazine I get this type question frequently. Almost all the starter sets offer good value. However one thing to consider is the future expansion capabilities. For example the NCE PowerCab can be expanded with the purchase of a Smart Booster. This gives you more power should you need it in the future. The PowerCab is a great introduction and can power several locos although you will be limited in the number of throttles (hand held controllers). Also the main controller also houses the command station electronics so must remain plugged in at all times when operating. On a small layout this is not an issue. A computer interface is available should you decide to use DecoderPro for programming. Digitrax has a similar introductory unit the Zephyr with similar capabilities. Both in my opinion offer more expansion capabilities than the Bachmann unit. The Sprog is another great device but you need to use a cell phone with an app for the throttle. Some other throttles with WiFi capabilities may also work with it. It however offers probably the most reliable programming capabilities. I own all of these and say all this from experience working with and writing about them. Visit my website at www.dccguy.com for more on DCC.

Larry Puckett

Contributing Editor

Model Railroader magazine

www.dccguy.com

• Informative/Useful 4

Bearing in mind the OPs requirement , I can see the Bachmann unit as being entirely sufficient , Personally , unless  you have a clear view of your future requirements and more importantly timescales and budgets , I would avoid “ expandable” systems. The Nce system mentioned in the post before , is nearly twice as expensive as the Bachmann unit. This is money wasted initially and you may never develop the need for the expansion capabilities it offers. 

If and when when your DCC horizons expand , you will have the experience of the basic systems under your belt , and know better what you want and can afford. Buy then for that requirement but not now 

Dave 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to each of you for the very helpful responses offered.

It's been suggested it would be useful for a bit more context...... to be honest I am new to DCC. I was a 4mm scale modeller but sold up my entire collection. I have since 'gone 0 gauge' but only have the one locomotive and a handful of wagons. Until now I have not had anwhere to run my DCC sound fitted loco, just running it on friends layouts when I have had the opportunity, so have no control unit of my own. However, I have just started a tiny micro-layout and therefore would need something to operate it! It's just a diorama really for shuffling a few wagons. 

Having read the above, the option seems to be a basic unit, such as the Bachmann one for around £100, or paying more for a more fancy system, but one which would have longevity and could be added to. Now the former would do for this micro-layout but I am planning a (relatively) larger shunting layout in due course, if this current test project proves to be successful. My uncle is a big fan of the Lenz system, so I have been exposed to that, but apart from helping in operating his layout at shows, I am a complete novice. 

It's a conundrum...... of course, for the purpose of a micro-layout and with only have the one engine, I could just revert to simple DC control and look at DCC options in future, when my plans and collection are more extensive. It might not be worth the expense investing so heavily for the sake of one loco and this tiny layout. 

Thanks again to all who have contributed. 

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Thank you to each of you for the very helpful responses offered.

It's been suggested it would be useful for a bit more context...... to be honest I am new to DCC. I was a 4mm scale modeller but sold up my entire collection. I have since 'gone 0 gauge' but only have the one locomotive and a handful of wagons. Until now I have not had anwhere to run my DCC sound fitted loco, just running it on friends layouts when I have had the opportunity, so have no control unit of my own. However, I have just started a tiny micro-layout and therefore would need something to operate it! It's just a diorama really for shuffling a few wagons. 

Having read the above, the option seems to be a basic unit, such as the Bachmann one for around £100, or paying more for a more fancy system, but one which would have longevity and could be added to. Now the former would do for this micro-layout but I am planning a (relatively) larger shunting layout in due course, if this current test project proves to be successful. My uncle is a big fan of the Lenz system, so I have been exposed to that, but apart from helping in operating his layout at shows, I am a complete novice. 

You mention "sound".   That usually has many functions, so I'd not pay £100 for a Bachmann EZ, which can only access F0 to F8.  Many a sound fitted loco has sound functions allocated to the higher function keys.    The EZ might be OK at £30-40 on the S/hand market. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adamphillip said:

if you want upgradability in the future you can't go wrong with anything that has loconet functionality, something like a z21 [very expensive at £370] or a Digikeijs DR5000 which is much more budget friendly at £160

Thanks that is interesting. Yo be honest, given this is such a small layout, anything north of your lower figure would probably be a no go. Having said that, the intention is to make a 'proper' layout in due course if this is successful,  so longevity is an issue. Bearing in mind the current cost of the project is zero, as it has been out together entirely from recycled materials and bits and pieces I had accumulated over the years, I might need a rethink. 

7 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You mention "sound".   That usually has many functions, so I'd not pay £100 for a Bachmann EZ, which can only access F0 to F8.  Many a sound fitted loco has sound functions allocated to the higher function keys.    The EZ might be OK at £30-40 on the S/hand market. 

Cheers for that advice. I must admit I am a complete DCC novice and have probably been quite naive in looking at this. It may be worth a rethink as I say. Hmm, I have a number of things to consider. 

You've mentioned sound & upgradeability.

I do not know much about Digikeijs so cannot comment about it. I strongly recommend you check it out though.

I do know about the NCE though. One of its strong points is upgradeability:

It is fine for a smaller layout & you can add extra if & when you need them. If you end up with the equivalent of the full system, you will not have paid much more to have got it through smaller purchases over a longer period.

Choice if control system is a matter of taste so take you time in choosing what is right for you. There are some good shops around, but not many. They go to shows though.

Many layout owners at shows will be pleased to show you their systems & let you get hands on experience with their layouts, so don't be afraid to ask.

• Thanks 1

MERG is probably your best option, low cost, full function . Snag is you have to build it yourself.   The instructions are good, all the parts are laid out for you and if you need help you can go along to a meeting.  You probably only want the basic controller then at a later date you can add a booster.  You can operate it from a phone or tablet, all for around £150.   Bargain.

If you are experienced you can build one in under an hour but a novice should allow a day.

The controller can be built into your layout , so you just have a laptop supply to plug in.  this plug can be mounted on the side of the layout, no additional boxes required.

Small, cheap, neat.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Thanks that is interesting. Yo be honest, given this is such a small layout, anything north of your lower figure would probably be a no go. Having said that, the intention is to make a 'proper' layout in due course if this is successful,  so longevity is an issue. Bearing in mind the current cost of the project is zero, as it has been out together entirely from recycled materials and bits and pieces I had accumulated over the years, I might need a rethink. 

You're starting to tie things down, but may be "budget below sensible".  At sub-£150, suggest the following which can operate all functions (others may add to it)

DIY real roll your own - many DIY projects exist which can build things from about £20 upwards.  But its electronics as a hobby.

DIY assembly - MERG DCC system likely to cost £100. Kits well documented, but only attempt if happy with electronics.   (re Phil's post above, I doubt anyone can build a MERG system in an hour, even if that's just the command station (ie. no throttles, no boosters).  I'm reasonably experienced in building stuff - currently batch-building a pile of MERG kits - and I'd not get close). 

Sprog - several options, the Sprog needs a computer to work with (can be either regular Windows/Apple computer, or a Raspberry PI), and ideally needs a smartphone as the throttle device.   £60 upwards, plus computer devices.  Need to be happy driving trains on a smartphone.

Second hand market - perhaps a Roco Multimaus system ?   Used to be a bargain entry system price, but no longer in production.  Make sure you're buying a complete system, not "just a handset".   Or s/hand NCE PowerCab or Digitrax Zephyr Xtra DCS51 - avoid the older and more common original Zephyr (DCS50) as that has only got functions to F8 on the keypad, in other respects the old Zephyr is good (I have one), but for this situation may not be the best option.

New, the NCE PowerCab and the Digitrax Zephyr entry systems are just about on the budget boundary - probably above it now with the exchange rate on the slide. 

- Nigel

• Informative/Useful 1

oh yeah I'll add the Digikeijs controller uses wifi to connect to a control app on your phone or it can use wired loconet controllers and accessories like occupancy detectors, plus it connects to your computer via USB for firmware updates and more control options

21 hours ago, O-Gauge-Phil said:

MERG is probably your best option, low cost, full function . Snag is you have to build it yourself.

Cheers Phil. Actually that sounds really interesting. I don't mind a bit of electronic work. I'm no expert but it might be an interesting challenge and learning experience. 

21 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Second hand market - perhaps a Roco Multimaus system ?  

Cheers Nigel. That is certainly another option. I'll look into what is out there. 

Just as a side note to this topic.

For anyone who only intends to own and operate a single, or only two or three, DCC locos and worries about the cost of buying an expensive DCC system just to operate one or a small handful of locos; then there is a new development that may be of interest.

It will soon be possible to operate these locos via DCC and access all their functions (sound and non-sound), without the need to purchase, or use any DCC system.

See the BlueRail Trains thread in the DCC Discussions section, to read the latest news on BlueRail Trains' 2nd generation development of add-on Bluetooth modules that can be fitted to any regular DCC decoder, to allow wireless DCC control from their free app, running on a smartphone or tablet device.

They are also working with an established manufacturer of sound decoders, to develop a range of DCC sound decoders with the Bluetooth module already factory fitted in the decoder's circuitry.

Full 12v DC power to the track and a handy mobile device is all that's required to run DCC fitted locos.

There's no indication of the likely costs at the present time, so it might be a case that it'll be more cost effective to buy a DCC system, once you go beyond the prospect of fitting more than 2 or 3 locos with Bluetooth fitted DCC decoders.

However, if the additional cost of adding Bluetooth capability is kept quite reasonable, it could well be a perfect solution for someone who only wishes to operate a very small fleet of locos.

Personally, I think it's worth keeping an eye on this development.

watch this space.

Ron

• Informative/Useful 1

There is one excellent basic DCC controller i recommended you:

Märklin/Trix MS2

Why this?

It can handle with DCC in all function and up to 32 digital functions.

It can handle keyboard with MM or DCC protocol up to 320 turnouts/signals.

It can been use with digital signals in the market.

It´s cheap digital system.

Check at Maerklin.de homepage and search item number 60657.

I use a black box  MRC/Gaugemaster  Tech 6 as it suits my layout and usage as it also has switchable DC,You can only run one DCC loco at once on the basic black box  and if its on DCC you cant run DC so its one loco only .It suits me as I also work on and own  DC locos as well as installing sounds etc in brass locos .As my layout is a switching  plank round a corner  it  only needs one loco at a time .I can program CV's though I cant read them .It all works very well  for me but needs are specific .

I just pulled my old Bachman EZ Command out as I just bought a new wall wart  for it and that also does a decent basic job .If you find a used one  if may cost little but its a good enough start on DCC.Dont pay much though .Great Eastern Models may have some .

Edited by friscopete
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2019 at 07:03, south_tyne said:

Cheers Phil. Actually that sounds really interesting. I don't mind a bit of electronic work. I'm no expert but it might be an interesting challenge and learning experience. 

@Phil Parker built one in BRM a while back, now I'm not saying anything about his soldering skills - he does know which bit gets hot though eh @Howard Smith ;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
On 12/07/2019 at 09:48, O-Gauge-Phil said:

MERG is probably your best option, low cost, full function . Snag is you have to build it yourself.   The instructions are good, all the parts are laid out for you and if you need help you can go along to a meeting.  You probably only want the basic controller then at a later date you can add a booster.  You can operate it from a phone or tablet, all for around £150.   Bargain.

If you are experienced you can build one in under an hour but a novice should allow a day.

The controller can be built into your layout , so you just have a laptop supply to plug in.  this plug can be mounted on the side of the layout, no additional boxes required.

An hour sounds optimistic and I wouldn't recommend rushing the  job, but I enjoyed building mine. The write-up is on the MERG website.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/07/2019 at 08:18, bigP said:

Sorry to jump in, so to speak, but having changed to Digitrax I have a Gaugemster Prodigy Advanced DCC unit available for sale if interested?

No need to apologise Phil - Ill drop you a message. 

On 15/07/2019 at 16:35, Ron Ron Ron said:

See the BlueRail Trains thread in the DCC Discussions section

That sounds really interesting and, as you say, perfect for those with only a handful of locos. I'll check it out.

19 hours ago, Anders63 said:

There is one excellent basic DCC controller i recommended you:

Märklin/Trix MS2

Thanks Anders. I haven't come across this system before but I will have a look. 

18 hours ago, friscopete said:

I use a black box  MRC/Gaugemaster  Tech 6 as it suits my layout and usage as it also has switchable DC,You can only run one DCC loco at once on the basic black box  and if its on DCC you cant run DC so its one loco only .It suits me as I also work on and own  DC locos as well as installing sounds etc in brass locos .As my layout is a switching  plank round a corner  it  only needs one loco at a time .I can program CV's though I cant read them .It all works very well  for me but needs are specific .

I just pulled my old Bachman EZ Command out as I just bought a new wall wart  for it and that also does a decent basic job .If you find a used one  if may cost little but its a good enough start on DCC.Dont pay much though .Great Eastern Models may have some .

Thanks Phil. That's really useul advice. As I said, I'm a complete novice on DCC, so I'm keen to learn from the experience of others. The Bachmann system seems to be about the cheapest, but if it suits my very basic needs then it would suffice. 

18 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

@Phil Parker built one in BRM a while back, now I'm not saying anything about his soldering skills - he does know which bit gets hot though eh @Howard Smith ;)

17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

An hour sounds optimistic and I wouldn't recommend rushing the  job, but I enjoyed building mine. The write-up is on the MERG website.

Thanks guys. I'll check that link out Phil. 

• Thanks 1