Project M20

0O00

Hi All

Well, after failing with Balloch Rainside and Hazelshaw, I'm hoping that it will be third time lucky this time around...

Rather than do a blog at this moment, I'm starting up a new project/layout thread here. Codenamed 'Project M20', it might give the game away slightly, but essentially it is a managable go-anywhere type of layout. Perhaps you could call it the Martini layout! I will be able to construct and detail it on the dining room table, loft or in the shed given the raw measurements of 1844 x 380 mm (well, 6ft by 15 inches in old money).

My larger boards, which are a total measurement of 7' x 2' are too cumbersome to fetch in and out of the loft. Plus I had those boards made for me and I want this latest project to represent the fruits of my own labour from start to finish.

To keep it lightweight, I'm using 6mm MDF braced with 50mm by 22mm kiln dried sections. B and Q have reasonable prices for timber at the moment. Supports for the boards will be via the tried and trusted budget method of builders trestles!

Trackplan is still in inception stage but it accommodates a 600mm fiddle yard, enough for 2 car DMU or small Bo Bo and four axle wagons at OO gauge.

Hoping to try my luck at DCC! I have Dynamis and want to put it to good use.

Feeling very enthusiastic about this; probably the most hungry I have been about building a layout for a very long time.

Project M20 is my attempt of keeping my thoughts on the actual layout construction rather than the playing of trains. Thoughts of stock and manoeuvres make my mind wander, as they have done with the other two follies!

Update to follow...

Alex

Archived