• Bashing a plastic building kit
  • Improving card kits
  • Building a budget Drewry
  • Airbrush Skills - weathering

* Masterclass - class 04

• Prototype history
  • Altering a class 04 to a tramway type

* Masterplan - movie gems

* Two layouts - Staindrop (O) and Hinksey Yard (N)

* Plus all the usuals - reviews, letters, exhibition diary, etc

G

Edited by grahame

4 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

Yippee! a class 11 shunter for 00 at last - that was my suggestion in the current Accurascale poll. Another good model choice by Chris.

No, I can't claim any credit for this at all. I didn't know about it until I read the proof of that page. This was entirely the work of MR Editors past and present, Ben and Richard. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2

A Class 11 is excellent news. There will be fifteen liveries!

Also announced is a Class 12 with BFB wheels “but please be aware that limitations to the tooling may mean that it’s not possible to include some smaller detail differences (also applicable to the Western Region machines).” Five liveries.

There will be 300 produced of each livery and they’re due in the first quarter of 2022.

Note that the editorial ends, “But we’re not done yet... watch this space!”

Great news about the Class 11/12/etc, well done Model Rail and Heljan.

I enjoyed the article on the Hinksey Yard layout, having grown up in Oxford and spotted from the footbridge as mentioned !

However I would question the historical detail on the prototype; Surely Hinksey Yard was built during WW2, and while it subsequently served car traffic, that was not why it was constructed.

• Like 1

If you get a copy from Sainsburys, its bundled with "Britain's Model Trains 2019", 1156 thumbnail reviews of British N, OO and O models.

Worth having if you haven't already bought a copy at cover price.....

I'll leaf through the magazine this evening.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Are there any reviews of the Hornby Bulleid 59' coaches?

No- only a pic of the ones they have received with the review to be in the next issue.

Puzzled over Chris Leighs article on detailing the tram loco as its seems to be truncated as if the Kernow advert has wiped out the end of the article.

• Informative/Useful 1

Impressed enough with this issue to have actually bought a copy. 

Some real modelling in the real articles and interesting background gen on the 04 in particular. Plus the announcement of the Class 11.

Good to have a modeklling mag to read and not just a picture book.

steve

• Agree 1

n ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:28, Hroth said:

If you get a copy from Sainsburys, its bundled with "Britain's Model Trains 2019", 1156 thumbnail reviews of British N, OO and O models.

Worth having if you haven't already bought a copy at cover price.....

I'll leaf through the magazine this evening.

Morrison's have the "Model Rail/Britain's Model Trains 2019" package deal as well

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The Class 11 was introduced c1945

I don't have the issue on hand to check and I read the proofs a long time ago, so I'll take your word for it - perhaps it should have said 1940s, but I have a niggling feeling that I read that the design was pre-war LMS. (CJL)

1 minute ago, dibber25 said:

I don't have the issue on hand to check and I read the proofs a long time ago, so I'll take your word for it - perhaps it should have said 1940s, but I have a niggling feeling that I read that the design was pre-war LMS. (CJL)

I think it was development of the pre- war design.

Regards

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

What become class 11 was defiantly introduced in 1945  - 7120 later 12033 being the first in April that year. The proposed model of 7120 in pre war LMS black probably needs "as Preserved" adding to its description

The inf on build dates for 7120 and 7128 is here:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=12033&loco=7120

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=12041&loco=7128

1945 and 1947 respectively.

I'll certainly be purchasing one of them!

cheers,

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

Had a quick re read of Brian Haresnapes book on LMS liveries (Ian Allan 1983 ISBN 0 7110 1281 4). During the war yellow lettering shaded red was applied so originally that presumably is what 7120 carried. Incidentally the loco on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway masquerading  as 7120 is actually WD70202, later WD26, WD878, Longmoor 44, AD878, and AD601; the real 7120 was scrapped in 1970. From photos on the web it looks like the phoney 7120 might have gold lettering which if so does lead to the possibility of two versions; yellow lettering as built and gold lettering as per the L&H loco.

18 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

What become class 11 was defiantly introduced in 1945  - 7120 later 12033 being the first in April that year. The proposed model of 7120 in pre war LMS black probably needs "as Preserved" adding to its description

LMS yellow lettering in this style although the number had moved to the cab side. Only the first few though. That's the earlier version as made by Judith Edge.

LMS_350hp_diesel_shunter_7080.jpg

Photo from Wiki.

The rest of the LMS built ones had the LMS block straw livery. Then BRITISH RAILWAYS until they started applying the early crest.

Jason

Interesting comment at the end of the Editorial:- "The class 11 perfectly complements our J70, USA and Sentinel, plus forthcoming 16xx and E1 [my emphasis - what E1?]".  Plus "But we're not done yet - Watch this space!".

Is life about to get expensive?

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, knitpick said:

Interesting comment at the end of the Editorial:- "The class 11 perfectly complements our J70, USA and Sentinel, plus forthcoming 16xx and E1 [my emphasis - what E1?]".  Plus "But we're not done yet - Watch this space!".

Is life about to get expensive?

The thread about the previously announced E1 is here