Jump to content

grahame

Model Rail #263 August 2019

Recommended Posts

Interesting comment at the end of the Editorial:- "The class 11 perfectly complements our J70, USA and Sentinel, plus forthcoming 16xx and E1 [my emphasis - what E1?]".  Plus "But we're not done yet - Watch this space!".

 

Is life about to get expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, knitpick said:

Interesting comment at the end of the Editorial:- "The class 11 perfectly complements our J70, USA and Sentinel, plus forthcoming 16xx and E1 [my emphasis - what E1?]".  Plus "But we're not done yet - Watch this space!".

 

Is life about to get expensive?

The thread about the previously announced E1 is here

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, knitpick said:

Interesting comment at the end of the Editorial:- "The class 11 perfectly complements our J70, USA and Sentinel, plus forthcoming 16xx and E1 [my emphasis - what E1?]".  Plus "But we're not done yet - Watch this space!".

 

Is life about to get expensive?

The 'E1' was announced at the same time as the '16XX' 0-6-0PT. It follows on from the '16XX', the GWR loco being 2019's project and the 'E1' for 2020 though inevitably, the timetable may slip. (CJL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My subscription copy hasn't appeared yet. Mind you for some reason our local postal service seems to be on some sort of unannounced strike from what I can see with a parcel taking well over a week to travel 1st class a distance of about fifty miles...

 

EDIT - Arrived Tuesday morning!!

Edited by John M Upton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One tip that has been given previously seems to be getting overlooked judging by this edition and at least one previous one with waterside transfers obviously being applied to a surface that is not gloss.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

One tip that has been given previously seems to be getting overlooked judging by this edition and at least one previous one with waterside transfers obviously being applied to a surface that is not gloss.

Yes, my mistake shows up really badly in the photos of Mavis but oddly, not nearly so obvious to the naked eye. I must admit that after the horrendous mishap I had with the wrong type of varnish on 5972, I'm a bit reluctant to use varnish on my models. (CJL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Yes, my mistake shows up really badly in the photos of Mavis but oddly, not nearly so obvious to the naked eye. I must admit that after the horrendous mishap I had with the wrong type of varnish on 5972, I'm a bit reluctant to use varnish on my models. (CJL)

Old type Johnsons Klear which I believe is now available through Humbrol at a greatly inflated price has never let down regardless of paint type used.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:22, dibber25 said:

The 'E1' was announced at the same time as the '16XX' 0-6-0PT. It follows on from the '16XX', the GWR loco being 2019's project and the 'E1' for 2020 though inevitably, the timetable may slip. (CJL)

Had another look through the July copy but couldn't spot any reference to the E1 on the pages announcing the 16xx class - nor elsewhere in that mag.  Am I going blind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knitpick said:

Had another look through the July copy but couldn't spot any reference to the E1 on the pages announcing the 16xx class - nor elsewhere in that mag.  Am I going blind?

Sorry, we're at cross-purposes here. The 'E1' and the 16XX were both announced at the same time - over a year ago - but with the 16XX as the 2019 project and the E1 for 2020. The 16XX has now moved forward to the pre-ordering stage which is what you're seeing in the July issue. It's an expansion on the original announcement because we've added examples with the spark arrester chimney etc. The 'E1' is following behind the 16XX and is unlikely to progress to pre-ordering until next year. (CJL)

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:00, dibber25 said:

Sorry, we're at cross-purposes here. The 'E1' and the 16XX were both announced at the same time - over a year ago - but with the 16XX as the 2019 project and the E1 for 2020. The 16XX has now moved forward to the pre-ordering stage which is what you're seeing in the July issue. It's an expansion on the original announcement because we've added examples with the spark arrester chimney etc. The 'E1' is following behind the 16XX and is unlikely to progress to pre-ordering until next year. (CJL)

 

Dibber - thanks for the clarification.  I guess I didn't take much notice of the original 16xx announcement, assuming it would be dropped as we seem to  have had quite a few pannier tank locos lately - the Bachmann 64xx had recently been delivered, the Heljan 1366 was imminent (and Kernow had dropped their proposed 1366) and Bachmann had announced the 94xx.

 

I tend to await formal announcements before such things register.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not all pannier tanks are the same, so there's plenty of room for all those delivered/announced so far. Bachmann 64XX is primarily an auto-tank, the 1366 is geographically very limited, and the 94XX is a heavyweight beast with a 'main line' route restriction. Against those, the 16XX fits in nicely as the ultimate modern, lightweight 'go-anywhere' pannier tank. (CJL)

 

Edited by dibber25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good review of the R.O.D. 2-8-0 loco in genuine ROD black. And its got the necessary Westinghouse gear.  As such its a pity that Hornby seem to be about to foist a khaki (should be black)  J36 R.O.D. version on us in a few months.  Mind you, at £148 or so the 2-8-0 isnt cheap !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1ngram said:

Good review of the R.O.D. 2-8-0 loco in genuine ROD black. And its got the necessary Westinghouse gear.  As such its a pity that Hornby seem to be about to foist a khaki (should be black)  J36 R.O.D. version on us in a few months.  Mind you, at £148 or so the 2-8-0 isnt cheap !

 

But were some of them repainted khaki whilst they were in Europe? Most of the other locomotives seem to have been. GWR 43XXs and the ROD 2-8-0s definitely were.

 

Plenty of khaki paint about, probably not much black available. Hence locomotives in the UK receiving grey, They also would have been a prime target for German bombers.

 

Just because they left the UK painted black doesn't mean they stayed that way.

 

 

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

But were some of them repainted khaki whilst they were in Europe? Most of the other locomotives seem to have been. GWR 43XXs and the ROD 2-8-0s definitely were.

 

Plenty of khaki paint about, probably not much black available. Hence locomotives in the UK receiving grey, They also would have been a prime target for German bombers.

 

Just because they left the UK painted black doesn't mean they stayed that way.

 

 

 

Jason

Ive never seen any evidence that ANY ROD locos were painted khaki in  Europe though some were painted that colour in UK at the end of the war and after ROD had been disbanded (with WD markingss not ROD ones).. Wm. Aves in both his authoritative books says definitively that all ROD locos were black by mid 1918 whatever colour they arrived in.  If you have any evidence there were khaki ROD locos I would like to see it.  Some J36 on their return to the UK (and still in ROD livery)  in 1919 seem to be a very weathered black or even a dark gray - but no khaki, it would appear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.