Ratio plastic loco kits

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Presumably the major ingredient is listed first, then in descending order?

Methyl ethyl ketone is an alternative name for the molecule whose official IUPAC name is butan-2-one. Ketone indicates that it contains an oxygen atom bonded to a carbon atom (C=O); methyl denotes that an methyl group (-CH2) is bonded to that carbon; ethyl, that an ethyl group (-CH2CH3) is also bonded to that carbon. As far as I can see, the order in which the components groups are listed is dictated by convention not structure. The IUPAC name, rather than building the molecule up from these groups, Lego-like, takes a more wholistic view: it's a butane molecule (CH3CH2CH2CH3) with the hydrogen atoms attached to the second carbon along replaced by a single oxgyen atom (-one). 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Methyl ethyl ketone is an alternative name for the molecule whose official IUPAC name is butan-2-one. Ketone indicates that it contains an oxygen atom bonded to a carbon atom (C=O); methyl denotes that an methyl group (-CH2) is bonded to that carbon; ethyl, that an ethyl group (-CH2CH3) is also bonded to that carbon. As far as I can see, the order in which the components groups are listed is dictated by convention not structure. The IUPAC name, rather than building the molecule up from these groups, Lego-like, takes a more wholistic view: it's a butane molecule (CH3CH2CH2CH3) with the hydrogen atoms attached to the second carbon along replaced by a single oxgyen atom (-one). 

It all sounded like Chinese in O-level chemistry, and it still does fifty-five years later !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It all sounded like Chinese in O-level chemistry, and it still does fifty-five years later !!

And so it should - chemical nomenclature is an internally self-consistent symbolic language. The rudiments are taught at A-level, I believe.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've found an old bottle of Daywat liquid polly,on the label is  2.Butanone.

I've also found an old bottle of Slaters MEK-PAK, the label says it contains Trichloroethane. It also says it does not contain any MEK (Butanone), MEK-PAK is a trade name.

I now use MEK, which I don't refer to as MEK-PAK to avoid confusion.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/07/2019 at 20:49, Graham456 said:

On my to do pile are two 2-4-0 kits and one 4-4-0 , both have the later part brass chassis and I have a perseverance chassis for the other, Romford wheels to replace ones supplied await use.djh sixty to one gearboxes, and stashed away Little mashimas ready to go , no molded on handrails to be seen 

missing ingredient?.............time

Up date thanks to my B & B being closed down this year that missing ingredient has turned up !

both kits are nearly finished chassis built ( one preseverance one brass overlays) Romford fitted yes that's Romford  pre markits romfords from back in the days when you had to drill and tap them., highlevel gearboxes 60 to 1 on the front axel with the mashima pointing towards the smokbox , leaving the firebox and rear frames free to be filled with lead, I am close to seeing if I can make these kits work or will join the most of others made ingoing  the display case !

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

I made two of the 2-4-0's. One uses the original kit wheels, the other, some Romfords i had lying about. Both utilise the Lima HO 4F tender drive for power with piano wire, wiper pick-ups on the rear of the drivers. Rover Damask red auto spray paint and hand lined. Both great runners. (Pics. 1+2, original kit wheels. Pic. 3, Romfords.)  

20200818_042023.jpg

20200818_042052.jpg

20201029_005427.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I really should build mine - it is definitely the longest serving inhabitant of the cupboard of shame, having been bought at The Engine Shed, Leytonstone High Road, in 1988!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3