Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

20 hours ago, caradoc said:

The initial announcement for Classes 11 and 12 (in Model Rail 263, August 2019) showed an ETA of Q1 2023, so still a while to wait, for the models and probably any update too !

At present work is taking place with Heljan on the PWM-series switcher. There's nothing to report on the Class 11/12 at the moment. (CJL)

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

At present work is taking place with Heljan on the PWM-series switcher. There's nothing to report on the Class 11/12 at the moment. (CJL)

'Switcher'? :nono:

Surely not in the UK!

Shunter, please!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

'Switcher'? :nono:

Surely not in the UK!

Shunter, please!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Although as they were primarily involved in PerWay work that would probably have involved them in shunting switch and crossing components so would that make them a 'switch shunter' or a 'shunt switcher'?  :D :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Although as they were primarily involved in PerWay work that would probably have involved them in shunting switch and crossing components so would that make them a 'switch shunter' or a 'shunt switcher'?  :D :jester:

As its pway, sure its a Switch Replacer ?

Though in 2020 that would be “A mechanical management infrastructure interfacing integration alignment device without built in redundancy” machine that requires Senior engineering precision management operatives to drive the efficiency of the automatic “mechanical management infrastructure interfacing integration alignment device without built in redundancy” machine‘s operation in a safe and risk mitigated manner in accordance with Time, Quality and Cost initiatives as laid out in the project managers planning and contingency windows

I win BS bingo and await collection of my prize.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

As its pway, sure its a Switch Replacer ?

Though in 2020 that would be “A mechanical management infrastructure interfacing integration alignment device without built in redundancy” machine that requires Senior engineering precision management operatives to drive the efficiency of the automatic “mechanical management infrastructure interfacing integration alignment device without built in redundancy” machine‘s operation in a safe and risk mitigated manner in accordance with Time, Quality and Cost initiatives as laid out in the project managers planning and contingency windows

I win BS bingo and await collection of my prize.

That’s so close to the truth, I withhold the “funny” emoji!

24 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I was in North American mode when I wrote that. I wonder if the PWM shunter that I used to see at Theale PWPAD ever got as far a Reading train station....... lights blue touch paper and retires! (CJL)

:angry::angryclear::angry::mad:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2020 at 15:28, dibber25 said:

I was in North American mode when I wrote that. I wonder if the PWM shunter that I used to see at Theale PWPAD ever got as far a Reading train station....... lights blue touch paper and retires! (CJL)

On 15/01/2020 at 15:55, cctransuk said:

:angry::angryclear::angry::mad:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am afraid you need to get used to it.

Network Rail Wessex Zone use "Train station" as their descriptor on emergency speed restriction documentation these days.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Covkid said:

Network Rail Wessex Zone use "Train station" as their descriptor on emergency speed restriction documentation these days.  

Plainly not written by railway people then! ;)

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

Never !!! ..... any more than I will accept any other of today's slipshod and / or politically correct redesignations.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Time moves on, I find it to be a issue too, seems alien, but the English language is not immutable, never has been. 

But those of us in the old farts club clearly are immutable! Difficult when you have grown up to have clear understanding which is now corrupted....:(

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

No we don't. Just ignore it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

As long as language conveys meaning properly it is doing its job, so sorry, but I don't find Train Station annoying, or indeed other terms such as Signaller; Or, going back in time a bit, British Rail instead of Railways - Everyone knew what it meant !

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, caradoc said:

British Rail instead of Railways - Everyone knew what it meant !

Late, canceled, knackered and that was just the Tomato butties.

I believe there was a joke, that after trains passed, the sandwich team would harvest (recycle) freshly grown tomatoes from the trackside...

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, caradoc said:

As long as language conveys meaning properly it is doing its job, so sorry, but I don't find Train Station annoying, or indeed other terms such as Signaller; Or, going back in time a bit, British Rail instead of Railways - Everyone knew what it meant !

Language and terminology definitely conveys meaning to me.  In the days when I wore a CCF uniform I had an embroidered badge of two crossed flags on one sleeve - it meant that I was qualified as a Signaller.  In my many years involved with the railway industry I was at times(various) not only involved in such things as writing Rules and Signalling Regulations but was also qualified at one time to examine Signalmen in their duties and I also, on occasion, worked signalboxes should circumstances so require.  I can accordingly I think, fairly claim to have been both a Signaller and (at times) a Signalman and the two roles involved very different knowledge and skills.  Hence I'm far more than only slightly sure that on the basis of direct experience I know the difference between the two - a signaller is a person who sends and receives signals and can read and write them while a signalman has a very different task in that he/she operates signals on a railway to ensure the safe and timely passage of trains.

Or putting it another way - been there and have got both the T shirts (and they are definitely not the same as each other).

Back to switchers, hmm, diesel shunters

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The June Model Rail says that final liveries, guises and prices will be announced once they open the order books so you are correct in thinking that you cannot order them at present.

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2020 at 09:51, PenrithBeacon said:

Time moves on, I find it to be a issue too, seems alien, but the English language is not immutable, never has been. 

The lack of an English equivalent of the Academie Francaise which periodically decrees pontifically that certain phrases and words are no longer officially French (like "Le Computer") despite the fact the public probably don't really give a fig, means that the English language is probably more dynamic than many. 

The whole question of "station" is totally illogical: there are stations of the Cross, which as a happy heathen to me means Kings and Charing, not religious iconography, then you go to buy petrol at a petrol station, passing en route a fire station where you most definitely do not stock up with fire.  You catch a bus at a bus station, where you wait in a bus shelter which shelters passengers, not buses (I've even worked in some authorities where they tried the Orwellian trick of trying to expunge "bus shelter" and replace it with "passenger shelter", with a predictable lack of success), so I can see where the "train station" idea has crept in from, after all you don't go to a railway station to catch a railway, or fill up with railway.  It's not a phrase I like though, and I would hope official bodies will try to use "railway station" in the future although I suspect that particular ship has left the ship station, hit the iceberg and sunk without survivors as Translink, the Northern Ireland public transport organisation, has already branded Northern Ireland Railway stations as "train stations".

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The June Model Rail says that final liveries, guises and prices will be announced once they open the order books so you are correct in thinking that you cannot order them at present.

Could I put my pennyworth in to ask for 2 differently numbered ones, relevant to the Late BR Livery period, black, or green  -   PLEASE.

And not one of them being "weathered".

Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

The whole question of "station" is totally illogical:

Station, in all its forms and applications, indicates a point at which something or someone stops - 'Stasis' (from Greek στάσις "a standing still").

Nothing illogical about that.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3