Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Station, in all its forms and applications, indicates a point at which something or someone stops - 'Stasis' (from Greek στάσις "a standing still").

Nothing illogical about that.

John Isherwood.

On that basis, it is the train that is stationary, not the railway, which would suggest that Train Station is more correct!

Ducks and runs for cover.

Roy

P.S. I hate Train Station.

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

On that basis, it is the train that is stationary, not the railway, which would suggest that Train Station is more correct!

Ducks and runs for cover.

Roy

P.S. I hate Train Station.

Roy,

I suspect you of being deliberately obtuse ! :nono:

The station is the place (on the railway) where the standing still takes place - hence railway station.

Simples !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2020 at 21:01, dibber25 said:

There's some CAD images of the Class 11 and the PWM in the latest Model Rail (MR274)

The ladders on the 11 may not be 100% accurate as they were made from signal ladders 

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Station, in all its forms and applications, indicates a point at which something or someone stops - 'Stasis' (from Greek στάσις "a standing still").

Nothing illogical about that.

John Isherwood.

I'm not so sure - a fire station isn't the point at which fire stops, or the point at which the fire is extinguished.  It is the place that houses the equipment and people who extinguish fires in the location in which they are occurring.  A Fire Brigade Station would probably satisfy the definition as the place where the people and equipment stops when not in use, but fire station suggests, by that definition, a place where the actual fire is based.

All of which suggests that English with it's many influences, and imported different grammatical rules from different languages ancient and modern, can never be consistent or logical within itself, which makes it such a hard language for others to learn and such fun to use.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/05/2020 at 11:39, cctransuk said:

......... The station is the place (on the railway) where the standing still takes place - hence railway station. .......

At which point I'll introduce my latest pet hate : not 'railway' but 'train line' ........ UGH !

( I've not YET heard anyone talk about a ' train line station' - but it'll happen ! )

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

At which point I'll introduce my latest pet hate : not 'railway' but 'train line' ........ UGH !

( I've not YET heard anyone talk about a ' train line station' - but it'll happen ! )

Even worse is "thetrainline.com"!

On 23/05/2020 at 00:52, wombatofludham said:

… Translink, the Northern Ireland public transport organisation, has already branded Northern Ireland Railway stations as "train stations".

According to Nick Hewer and Margaret Mountford in The Trouble with our Trains (2015), Northern Ireland Railways is just about the only railway company in the UK which operates to the satisfaction of its passengers*. I suppose even NIR can’t get everything right.

* IMHO re-naming “passengers” as “customers” is a symptom of papering over cracks.

On 23/05/2020 at 00:52, wombatofludham said:

.... Translink, the Northern Ireland public transport organisation, has already branded Northern Ireland Railway stations as "train stations".

What's more, their pre-recorded on-board announcements have been dumbed-down to an Anglicised 'This train is ....' rather than 'This treean is ....' in a rich local accent !

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well there's no news.

They are probably working away quietly in the background and they'll appear in something like two or three years if all goes well.

I think they are behind the PWMs in the pecking order.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/168/Project-PWM-Diesel

Jason

There IS news. CADs for both PWM and Class 11 on page 14 of the current issue. Much more interesting than arguing about use of the English language. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

On 01/06/2020 at 22:01, andytrains said:

Class 11.

DSC00039.JPG

At Crewe, not sure of date.

Why did they not make them class 12.

It is interesting that it has the 'D' prefix on an old 5-digit number. Were there any others like that, or was this a one-off anomaly?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SRman said:

It is interesting that it has the 'D' prefix on an old 5-digit number. Were there any others like that, or was this a one-off anomaly?

Two for the price of one? Those are the only two I am aware of but others may know differently

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129680049@N06/16129139834

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

D12040, D12047, D12062 are the only blue examples I have found photos off with the "D" prefix, although for completeness, one of the earlier jackshaft drive examples, D12016 also carried a "D" prefix.

As for class 11's that carried blue livery, these are the ones I have found so far.

12038, D12040, D12047, 12049, 12052, D12062, 12069, 12071, 12082, 12083, 12084.

I also have a photo that suggests 12072 might have been blue, but it is not a good enough photo to be 100% sure.

In blue all locos had a small arrow on the cabside with the number above.

Paul J.

• Informative/Useful 3