Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PMP said:

Nope, I didn’t imply that either, I provided the link so that interested parties could see what’s being prepared and where in due course they can order it. Having seen the EP however, it does look good.

I thought it was implied by your statement that the EP looks good and then providing a link, simple as.

Had you explained the former with the link it would have been clearer.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I thought it was implied by your statement that the EP looks good and then providing a link, simple as.

Had you explained the former with the link it would have been clearer.

If I were providing a link that showed images of the EP, I’d have said ‘here’s a link to images of the EP’.

Simples.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PMP said:

If I were providing a link that showed images of the EP, I’d have said ‘here’s a link to images of the EP’.

Simples.

Yes, which would have been clearer……

I don’t understand why you seem to be being deliberately antagonistic.

Have you a direct connection with this project?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

With all due respect have you noted the tone of your posts recently? 

Paul has simply tried to point people in the right direction. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

With all due respect have you noted the tone of your posts recently? 

Paul has simply tried to point people in the right direction. 

Rob. 

So you must have missed the smileys I included to show they were light hearted comments.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

So you must have missed the smileys I included to show they were light hearted comments.

No, not missed. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

On about  smaller  details  I know  for definite  that the ladders on 12131 are signal post ladders  but it he's been scanned as accurate...... 

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2021 at 16:47, boxbrownie said:

I wasn't aware I'm required to prior explain the exact content of any appropriate hyperlink, I'd have thought viewing the hyperlink would suffice.

Re connection, I suppose it all depends on how you define a 'direct connection'.

I would say I've had a connection to the project, but I wouldn't say I have a connection with the project. And for clarity, (so important as I'm learning), that connection occurred in Grantham at 11:45 am on 30th April 2021.

In the meantime anyone wants a look at the EP, there's the option of purchasing January 2021's Model Rail , where page 8 has a half page editorial piece, including a 1/4 page image of it.

If anything in my post offends you, please let me know......I may wish to offend again.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2019 at 10:12, PenrithBeacon said:

I think that the lack of wheels in EM/P4 would knacker any conversion. This loco had 4"-0.5" wheels with the 'bevelled' rim. The 08 had 4'-6" also with the bevelled rim. I don't know how many spokes in either case. Wheels for the 08 are readily available, but there are, to the best of my knowledge, no wheels available that feature a 4'-0" o/d, bevelled rim and no crankpin. I suppose that those with a lathe could modify the RTR wheels, but for the rest of us this model is best passed by. A pity but there it is.

Regards

On 13/07/2019 at 10:34, jjnewitt said:

Or perhaps compromise - the inevitable result of using manufacturing techniques where exact scaling of the prototype can't be done. 

I assume you don't have any Bachmann or Hornby 08s as there is room in there for EM/P4 wheels so they must be compromised elesewhere? The springs on the Bachmann one obviously are. Perhaps there's sufficient room in those for EM/P4 wheels as a result of needing the things to go round R1 and R2 curves in OO? Another compromise...

It's true that there isn't a suitable wheel currently available but it also possible that if the conversion is achievable and people put their hands up someone like Alan Gibson will produce something. If EM/P4 wheels don't fit then there definately won't be any proper wheels.

Justin

On 13/07/2019 at 11:02, PenrithBeacon said:

About a year ago I asked AGW if there were going to be any additional wheels In the catalogue for a conversion I had mind. I was told that no additions were planned for any new RTR models.

Assuming that Heljan do make the compromises needed there might be a way forward ie 3D printing and an AGW tyre. But then again perhaps not.

Regards

Just rereading this thread whilst waiting for MR to set up their ordering system for these beauties. I only want the one but like it to be one of the three hundred.

The difference between the wheels of class 08 and the class 11 is less than six inches   i.e less than 2mm in 4mm scale. Not sure how often an 08 or 11 got it's tyres turned but I am assuming at least two inches worth or tyre could be removed before reaching scrapping size, so that is nearly a millimetre.  So surely class 08 wheels skimmed by a millimetre would be within a gnat's nadger of being near enough ? The railway could never have had a totally uniform fleet in terms of wheelsize, and to look at the contemporary trains, there was a photo of a voyager published a couple of years ago where you could actually see both wheelsets on one bogie where of different sizes.    I guess it all depends what your personal modelling standards are.  

The wheel tyre might have lost an inch or so, but six inches is a lot, and noticeably so.

Look at the differences between NER/LNER J71s and J72s (real and model). The only difference was the wheel size. 4'7" as opposed to 4' 1". Yet look totally different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both Ben Brooksbank from Wiki

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

So surely class 08 wheels skimmed by a millimetre would be within a gnat's nadger of being near enough ? ...

If you have a lathe it would make more sense to turn the Heljan wheels, wouldn't it? I don't have such a machine, therefore this one is best left alone.

• 3 months later...

Latest edition of Model Rail (No. 294) has a feature on page 9 showing the approved artwork for the Class 11, all 15 livery versions.

Page 109 states order book not yet open though, along with Class 48 / 97 [PWM] / 98 [VoR].

No mention of the Class 12 (though I appreciate this is further down the pipeline).

I'll be ordering:

• Class 11 x 2
  • Class 12 x 2
  • Class 48
  • Class 97

just as soon as it is possible.

My concern however remains that with very limited numbers of each of the shunter liveries folks including myself may miss out. One might hope that loyal subscribers would be prioritised by opening orders to them first off, though not holding my breath on that one. Eyes wide open, don't blink or you could mis them!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
On 01/12/2021 at 19:20, dibber25 said:

As subscribers usually receive their copies  a few days before the magazine reaches the shops, it is likely that they will be the first to see the ordering details. (CJL)

Sadly that never happened.

Has anything changed ? Are we still waiting for Heljan to open the order book ?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

According to a Heljan post on facebook today: 

"As well as our own projects, we work with a range of other organisations to produce exclusive models, usually in OO gauge. We're delighted to be working with our friends at Model Rail Magazine on a superb OO model of the LMS/BR Class 11 0-6-0DE shunter. The first factory decorated samples of the '11s' arrived recently, as shown in the latest issue of Model Rail, on sale now! Featuring a huge range of authentic detail variations (cabs, ladders, fuel gauges, marker lights, handrails etc) plus working marker lights, switchable cab interior lights and extremely fine detail inside and out, these models will set new standards for English Electric 350hp diesel shunters in OO.

Versions cover War Department, Longmoor Military Railway, LMS, BR and industrial locomotives across six decades of services.

Please see the magazine's shop page for more information and contact Model Rail's order hotline with all enquiries related to the Class 11 project"

https://en-gb.facebook.com/heljanas/

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3