Rhatische Bahn GE6/6 crocodile

torikoos

Many moons ago, before I seriously got into US modelrailroading, I obtained a BEMO Rhatische Bahn GE6/6 crocodile at a secondhand market. The model is flawless, and has seen very limited use. I guess by now the grease etc in the drive is probably a bit dried up, etc but there is another 'problem'.

The loco in question is actually gauged as an HOe model, and thus runs on 9mm track.  As we know, the RhB is meter gauge, thus HOm, or 12mm track width.  I am not that familiar with Bemo product history but I presume the models were probably offered in both gauges initially (maybe the 9mm gauge was because they look more 'narrowgauge' doing so).  Anyway, what I'm hoping is that I can obtain a 12mm wheelset to regauge my locomotive to 12mm, so that in time I may start a little side project building a small HOm module on which I could run this loco. (in the meantime I'll also digitize it, add sound and replace the bulbs with LED's etc).     Can anyone let me know if replacement wheelsets are available, who to order from? Or should I renegade this model to a display cabinet? Or, do I have a rarity in my hands that is worth a fortune and would enable me to buy a new 12mm version with the proceeds :-) 

Thank you, Koos

The model is still available in H0e and H0m, according to the Bemo catalogue. I was going to suggest asking in the Swiss Railways section, but I see you have. Maybe contact Bemo directly?

I'm not sure about the krokodil, but on several other Bemo models you can regauge by sliding the wheels along the axles.

This blog shows the reverse procedure. The Krok will be trickier as it has outside cranks and youd need to watch the quartering. 

Hi.I have the Ge 6/6 I and II . The instructions for both say that they can be adjusted for H0e and H0m but does not say exactly how.

Both boxes list the models as H0e  and H0m and is not specific as to which is in the box.

Both models of mine are H0m but the axles have splines under the wheel centres which suggest they can be slid along the axles to suit either gauge.

I have searched the web but cannot find more info so it may be best to contact Bemo or a distributor to ask how.

Regards, Colin.Ge 6_6 I Loose parts & operating instructions.pdf

Years ago I converted some Hoe Bemo  German stock and a V51 loco  to Hon3 just to run it on my track .I just pushed the wheels out . and it ran fine .i did wonder whether to repaint the loco into D&RGW just fora laugh but sense took over.

Edited by friscopete
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

No the HOe one isn’t rare ;)

They are fairly easy to regauge but the Krok is harder because of the outside cranks so easiest it you have a wheel puller.  

Yes you can get replacement axles but they aren’t easy to find. Bemo may reply but equally emails can go unanswered for a long time. Contikits seems to be the recommended one to try for a Bemo spares in the UK now, if not try Modellbahnshoplippe in Germany as they speak English well.

17 hours ago, friscopete said:

Years ago I converted some Hoe Bemo  German stock and a V51 loco  to Hon3 just to run it on my track .I just pushed the wheels out . and it ran fine .i did wonder whether to repaint the loco into D&RGW just fora laugh but sense took over.

You are tempting me. Stop it.