Rhatische Bahn GE6/6 crocodile wheelsets

torikoos

Many moons ago, before I seriously got into US modelrailroading, I obtained a BEMO Rhatische Bahn GE6/6 crocodile at a secondhand market. The model is flawless, and has seen very limited use. I guess by now the grease etc in the drive is probably a bit dried up, etc but there is another 'problem'.

The loco in question is actually gauged as an HOe model, and thus runs on 9mm track.  As we know, the RhB is meter gauge, thus HOm, or 12mm track width.  I am not that familiar with Bemo product history but I presume the models were probably offered in both gauges initially (maybe the 9mm gauge was because they look more 'narrowgauge' doing so).  Anyway, what I'm hoping is that I can obtain a 12mm wheelset to regauge my locomotive to 12mm, so that in time I may start a little side project building a small HOm module on which I could run this loco. (in the meantime I'll also digitize it, add sound and replace the bulbs with LED's etc).     Can anyone let me know if replacement wheelsets are available, who to order from? Or should I renegade this model to a display cabinet? Or, do I have a rarity in my hands that is worth a fortune and would enable me to buy a new 12mm version with the proceeds :-) 

Thank you, Koos

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Crocodile414 said:

You could try contacting Winco - www.winco.uk.com - they have just ordered me a spare part for a GE 4/4 III so they may be able to help? Good luck!

Winco are winding down to full retirement and only supply spares to existing customers :) 

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was the case but just checked my own, the wheels are on splines on the axle and you re-gauge simply by increasing the back to back measure.  There is no difference in the wheelsets HOe or HOm. Use a small screwdriver between the back of the wheel and the chassis, twist until you have about 10.5mm back to back. The motion gear is unaffected as it is splined to the outer end of the axle. You can see the splines clearly on the motion axle which does not have a wheel.  Just be gentle but if you go a bit too far, just ease it back in. If you do find you need spares, try Michael at Marno Ltd as he has been very helpful to me.

Edited by JimFin
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Be very careful using a screwdriver as you can deform the plastic insulation and end up with a skewed wobbly wheel as it only puts pressure on one side. Using two with one each side of the axle would be much safer but difficult to hold. 

• Like 1

Hi

According to the Bemo catalogue I got via Winco last year the part number for the HOm  wheelset for the Crocodile is 5255 000. However, Bemo catalogue numbers have changed in the past so if ordering from new, explain what you want in words to the supplier as well. As I said in an earlier post this year Contikits (used model dealer in UK) had a box of Bemo spares at the Swiss Railways Society AGM in Derby earlier this year so it might be worth contacting them to see if they have this part. However I'm not sure how to and how much work is involved in exchanging the wheelsets. 

My experience in regauging Bemo freight and carriage stock from HOe to HOm is that the Bemo wheels are very tight on the axles.  As others have already said you need to be very careful to apply even pressure to avoid wobbly wheels after you have moved them. I'm well practised in setting Alan Gibson etc British made wheels to P4 back to back but I still found the Bemo wheels a challenge, probably because they are on splined axles.

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

Best wishes

John.

thanks everyone for your replies and help so far, very useful.  I will first have a look at regauging as JimFin suggests, failing that I'll get in touch with BEMO to see what they can offer.

Best regards, Koos