Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bulleid

Is it known how the good Mr Bulleid pronounced his name?  I've always assumed it was "Bull - ide", but I keep hearing people say "Bull-eed" or even "Bull-id", so would welcome the definitive answer.

• RMweb Gold

I have also spoken to a member of the Bulleid family in the past and they pronounce it Bull-eed 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So Richard Maunsell was very much a Managing Engineer, bringing together a team to run the mechanicals of the SECR.  Then, with the addition of Finlayson from the LSWR, continuing on the Southern Railway for perhaps a decade.  It was only in the mid 1930's that the team ran out of ideas, resulting in the Q class - basically a copy of the 20 year old 4F.  Finlayson is the understated member of the team, but it is fairly obvious that the Arthurs, Nelsons and Schools were initiated at his board.

In many ways, it was a pity that Bulleid didn't follow Maunsell's example.

Bill 

8 hours ago, spikey said:

Sorry, but I have to ask - if he was joking about Maunsel and cancel, was he also joking about "Bull-eed"?

The correct pronunciation of Maunsell is MANsell. Having said that, I still tend to say MORNsell, even though I know it is wrong.

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Maunsell does indeed rhyme with Cancel. I've seen that from multiple sources.

I have just been informed by a knowledgeable friend that Maunsell is indeed pronounced "Mansell", but Maunsel is pronounced "Mornsel" :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/07/2019 at 12:40, spikey said:

I have just been informed by a knowledgeable friend that Maunsell is indeed pronounced "Mansell", but Maunsel is pronounced "Mornsel" :)

I'm confused. I've heard of Richard Maunsell, (1869-1944, CME of the SR) and I've heard of Richard Mansell (1813-1904, C&W Superintendent of the SER) but who is Maunsel?

And Mornsell is how it was pronounced half-a-century ago by the odd person that I met that had actually worked with the man in their (relatively) youthful years. Not that many people did actually get to meet him as he was one of the old school and kept himself very much to himself and his immediate deputies. Bulleid, apparently, was a total contrast and mixed regularly and happily with the staff, even though it took them some time to realise that even the opinions of the most junior were valued by the new boss.

As reported by HAV Bulleid in his excellent book about his father’s work, the ‘in joke’ was that Bulleid rhymed with ‘succeed’, and Maunsell with ‘cancel’.

The way I understand it, this was a friendly quip, not a ‘dig’.

I briefly worked with one of Mr B’s descendants, and he pronounced his own name to rhyme with succeed.

(Autocorrect keeps changing how I spell the names!!)

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

This thread just confirms to me that this website is truly wonderful thanks to the slightly deranged (in a nice way!) people that populate it - and I include myself.

Is there any controversy over the great Mr Robert Urie's pronunciation? Is it Urie as in Bury (with a Lancashire accent) or Urie as in your eye????

Only kidding.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

This thread just confirms to me that this website is truly wonderful thanks to the slightly deranged (in a nice way!) people that populate it - and I include myself.

Is there any controversy over the great Mr Robert Urie's pronunciation? Is it Urie as in Bury (with a Lancashire accent) or Urie as in your eye????

Only kidding.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Urie’s descendant, also Robert, or actually Bob,  was a genial senior railwayman of my generation. You-ree was the pronunciation, as I’m sure you guessed. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian, think I met Bob during my time at ATOC. You are correct in your assumption - just being flippant.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2019 at 15:11, Oldddudders said:

Urie’s descendant, also Robert, or actually Bob,  was a genial senior railwayman of my generation. You-ree was the pronunciation, as I’m sure you guessed. 

Bob Urie (grandson of Robert) is president of the Urie Locomotive society - he presided over the relaunch of 506 the other month.

• Like 1

With regards Maunsell, is it this confusion over pronunciation that has resulted in countless Maunsell coach models (incorrectly) running around with  wooden-centred wheels on model railways? :P 

• Funny 1