Longest stretch of uk level line

signalnorth

The section from Paddington to Didcot is quite flat steepest gradient shown as 1 in 1320. The WCML out of Euston by contrast has many sections at the ruling gradient of 1 in 330, plus the steep climb out of Euston station up Camden bank. But when at the design stage the L&B had a better much locomotive engineer on the staff than the GWR. So they were perhaps not as worried as the GWR by gradients.

• Funny 1

There are quite a few 'level' sections however you don't need that long a distance for the curveture of the earth to make a difference. When levelling the line to Kings Lynn for electicfation there was a streach of about 2 mile where the track was within 30mm of the same height obove OBM. However when using the level it was obviously on a crest curve.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Trog said:

The section from Paddington to Didcot is quite flat steepest gradient shown as 1 in 1320. The WCML out of Euston by contrast has many sections at the ruling gradient of 1 in 330, plus the steep climb out of Euston station up Camden bank. But when at the design stage the L&B had a better much locomotive engineer on the staff than the GWR. So they were perhaps not as worried as the GWR by gradients.

Don't forget that trains were originally hauled up Camden Bank by cable ........... but that's a gradient so it's off topic.

If you want a whole railway with little in terms of gradients, you could check out the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

According to The Railway Magazine 'Gradients of the British Main Line Railways (1936)' it records a section of the Edinburgh (Inverkeithing) - Aberdeen line between milepost 61 and milepost 75 as being "level" - so 14 miles. How accurate this is I've no way of telling, but given what Bomag says about taking into account the curvature of the earth/crest curve etc., this "14 mile" bit of line may not actually be "dead level", to use an unscientific term.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iands said:

According to The Railway Magazine 'Gradients of the British Main Line Railways (1936)' it records a section of the Edinburgh (Inverkeithing) - Aberdeen line between milepost 61 and milepost 75 as being "level" - so 14 miles. How accurate this is I've no way of telling, but given what Bomag says about taking into account the curvature of the earth/crest curve etc., this "14 mile" bit of line may not actually be "dead level", to use an unscientific term.

This is the stretch from East of Brought Ferry through Carnoustie to (approx) Elliot Junction which runs through a very level area.

Edited by Steamysandy
Error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Anything in Norfolk or Lincolnshire would probably be flat...

Sorry everyone for going off topic but I must take issue with my mate Stu.

Not all of Lincolnshire is flat. When I shopping to Louth (capital of the Wolds) I get altitude sickness.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Lincoln Cathedral is up a hill that even I think is a bit steep, and I’m Welsh...

The SWML between Severn Tunnel and Cardiff has level sections, as it does between Loughor and Carmarthen, but I doubt any of these hold any records. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

Further to my previous post, I've been able to look at more recent documentation (5 Mile diagrams, 2017). For the section of line I quoted above, this document shows 11 actual gradients, ranging from 1:1100 to 1:4800. There is one gradient however, of 1:534 - for approximately 250 yards. No doubt the more modern methods of surveying have increased the accuracy of such data. Even so, I'm sure if you were able to walk that section, I doubt you would really notice the gradients as anything significant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Titan said:

There is the so called "Race track" between York and Thirsk.  Not sure how long it is but basically straight and level across the plain of York on the ECML.

Hi Titan,

That stretch of the ECML is about 11 miles on the "level" (again, according to the Gradients book of 1936).

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

A game is not the best source of accurate information but from some playing on the Wherry Lines route on Train Simulator there are gradients for bridges there (easy to get speed a bit if you're not careful on them). So not long gradients but still there.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Titan,

That stretch of the ECML is about 11 miles on the "level" (again, according to the Gradients book of 1936).

Curious.  I've just dug up the Ian Allan book and it only shows about 7 miles (between about MP205 1/4 and 212). 

To pick up some other sections mentioned here from the same source (mileages approximate due to the small scale, I've given the nearest former stations for bearings):

• Dundee (MP61) to nearly Abroath (MP74 3/4): about 14 miles.
  • The main line in South Wales doesn't have any levels longer than 5 miles.

And some others over 10 miels from a quick skim, bearing in mind this book only includes profiles that the authors considered (pre-Beeching) to be main lines:

• Fakirk High (24 3/4) to Croy (35 1/4) 11.5 miles
  • Shippea Hail (75) to  Bandon (85 3/4) about 11 miles.
  • Spalding (93) to Boston (107 1/4) about 14 miles
  • Brean (140 1/2) to Bridgwater (151) 10.5 miles
  • Edgside (28 3/4) to Newton-on-Ayr (39 1/2) about 11 miles

5 minutes ago, 25901 said:

A rough guide would be figuring out where the old water troughs were, just a thought !

Like Shap?

They were only short so you just need a level section of a few hundred yards. Dillicar being a prime example. Take water just before hitting the gradient.

http://www.aidan.co.uk/photo9360.htm

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwin_m said:

Curious.  I've just dug up the Ian Allan book and it only shows about 7 miles (between about MP205 1/4 and 212). 

Hi Edwin,

It's the bit before that, from just after the 189 milepost to the 200 milepost (roughly from Poppleton Jn to about a mile before Raskelf).

33 minutes ago, 25901 said:

A rough guide would be figuring out where the old water troughs were, just a thought !

In fact, you put water troughs into a dip in the track. That way you don't need end walls in the trough - they knock the scoops off

Richard

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, 31A said:

Selby to Hull is pretty flat, that must be about 30 miles!

Straight yes (about 18miles), but surprisingly not as level as you might think, although the gradients perhaps fall into the "reasonably gentle" category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Norfolk is NOT a flat County, far from it, though there are bits. Lincolnshire as a County, along with the Fens in Cambridgeshire, and some of West Norfolk, is quite flat, but the railways aren't. The undulate over rivers and drains.

Stewart

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Norfolk is NOT a flat County, far from it, though there are bits. Lincolnshire as a County, along with the Fens in Cambridgeshire, and some of West Norfolk, is quite flat, but the railways aren't. The undulate over rivers and drains.

Stewart

Having grown up in North Wales, in the Vale of Clwyd, and married within sight of Snowdon, I guess my perspective is slightly skewed :)

• Funny 2