DCC for modular

Adamphillip

How big is the final modular concept ?   There are some really big module setups, such as those which Fremo organise.  With those, fancy hardware is needed to cope with the setup. 

For any setup, you need to decide how the DCC track signal gets passed around.  That could be a two wire connection which runs through the system.  Gets a little more complicated if you need additional boosters (but not much more complex).      You will need some thought to make it impossible to connect multiple DCC command stations to the setup ( I mean impossible - ie. think about plugs and sockets,  if someone "forgets", it could be the end of some expensive electronics.   Its not really hard, just needs thinking through.  ).     
LocoNet could also be useful, to link throttles and any other LocoNet based devices, or you could just go to radio systems for throttles. 

4 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

How big is the final modular concept ?   There are some really big module setups, such as those which Fremo organise.  With those, fancy hardware is needed to cope with the setup. 

For any setup, you need to decide how the DCC track signal gets passed around.  That could be a two wire connection which runs through the system.  Gets a little more complicated if you need additional boosters (but not much more complex).      You will need some thought to make it impossible to connect multiple DCC command stations to the setup ( I mean impossible - ie. think about plugs and sockets,  if someone "forgets", it could be the end of some expensive electronics.   Its not really hard, just needs thinking through.  ).     
LocoNet could also be useful, to link throttles and any other LocoNet based devices, or you could just go to radio systems for throttles. 

I've already got a Z21 which has XpressNet and LocoNet connections for throttles and boosters, at one point I was contemplating suggesting everyone builds a LocoNet booster into their module so you only have LocoNet cables connecting everything as we're looking at doing something similar to Fre-Mo

13 hours ago, Adamphillip said:

So I've started a sort of club and we've decided to do a N gauge modular project, we've been talking about how to wire the layout, anyone got any ideas, we're going to be using my Z21 and connect everything with LocoNet?

If you are building modules then create a physical template for the end of the boards. So each connection can be in roughly the same place. That way people building boards in different locations will know where to end wires so the inter-board connections can be made.

2 minutes ago, Marcus-Jay said:

If you are building modules then create a physical template for the end of the boards. So each connection can be in roughly the same place. That way people building boards in different locations will know where to end wires so the inter-board connections can be made.

we're using Fre-Mo N-re standards or T-Trak

Edited by Adamphillip

Just now, Marcus-Jay said:

Sorry Adam, I mean the bits where with wires dangle between baseboards. This will be where wires dangle when setting up.

it'll have a 2 pin track connection, a RJ12 for LocoNet and an optional RJ12 for XpressNet at each end of the module

• RMweb Premium

Putting a booster on each module is overkill (& expensive). Depending on the size of the module(s) then a circuit breaker such as a PSX-1 per n modules is worth considering.

It's also worth thinking now if you're going to have DCC controller accessories & point decoders. If so, then it's worth putting these on to a different bus.

I'd also be a little concerned about having an RJ12 for Loconet and an RJ12 for XpressNet. At some point someone will plug a Loconet cable into an XpressNet socket. At the very least they should be colour coded (cables and sockets) so that they're easy to check before the power gets turned on.

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Good to hear that you're considering the Fremo N-Re standards. I've been to a lot of meetings with modules built according to that standard and the technical part always works. Boosters might not be required if you make sure to follow the standards. It all depends on how many locos, size of the layout and so on. If you do need boosters make sure that you get a booster that has been tested and proven to work in Fremo meetings. Personally I have this one that just works as a charm;-) https://jokaelec.de/de/booster/booster-bo3500-bausatz.html

Cheers

Niels 

Edited by Niels from Norway

On 12/07/2019 at 11:46, Adamphillip said:

I've already got a Z21 which has XpressNet and LocoNet connections for throttles and boosters, at one point I was contemplating suggesting everyone builds a LocoNet booster into their module so you only have LocoNet cables connecting everything as we're looking at doing something similar to Fre-Mo

You need to be aware that the Loconet on a Z21 is Loconet-T and not Loconet-B therefore you cannot connect Loconet boosters into it - they simply won't work as there aren't the necessary connections within Loconet-T:(

6 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

You need to be aware that the Loconet on a Z21 is Loconet-T and not Loconet-B therefore you cannot connect Loconet boosters into it - they simply won't work as there aren't the necessary connections within Loconet-T:(

You're right. Z21 with loconet boosters is a no go then. Sell the Z21 and buy a much cheaper Digikeijs DR5000 then. You can still use the z21app and you have a loconet b port for your boosters.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2019 at 16:44, WIMorrison said:

found a work around, some boosters can have a B-Bus connected from the Z21 and then generate the Loconet-B signal, or I can make a simple little adapter that takes the track power and feeds it into pins 1 and 6

RailSync (pins 1&6) carry the entire DCC signal, otherwise a booster can't act as a booster (repeating the entire DCC signal). 

The voltage is in the LocoNet Personal Edition Specification (available on the Digitrax Website). I read it as full track voltage, but current limited.  

The only potential fly I can see is where the command station ground fits into all of this.  A ground wire is generally needed between boosters and for some types of loco detection hardware, otherwise any mis-match, and potentially short circuits, can end up being completed via the thin LocoNet cables, which may burn them out quickly.

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Not sure that pins 1 & 6 are actually track voltage, I know that they carry the dcc signal (or at least some parts of it) but I thought that the voltage was lower, otherwise I would why is nobody using your solution?

28 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

RailSync (pins 1&6) carry the entire DCC signal, otherwise a booster can't act as a booster (repeating the entire DCC signal). 

The voltage is in the LocoNet Personal Edition Specification (available on the Digitrax Website). I read it as full track voltage, but current limited.  

The only potential fly I can see is where the command station ground fits into all of this.  A ground wire is generally needed between boosters and for some types of loco detection hardware, otherwise any mis-match, and potentially short circuits, can end up being completed via the thin LocoNet cables, which may burn them out quickly.

found out the CAN Bus has a dedicated railsync and loconet set up so can just use a small adaptor cable as can bus isn't widely used