Class 31 TTS problems in super detailed Hornby 31

aureol40012

I’ve checked all the TTS threads and can’t see one that covers this.

Fitted a TTS to my 31268 which doesn’t have chassis rot! I upgraded the speaker too and took out the fan which was stiff.

Upon firing up the loco sounds great, and once cv 150, 151, and 152 were amended it seemed to run really well.......until the loco lost all engine sound and stopped moving when I operated the horn function. The loco automatically restarts moving back up to the preset speed once the horn is toggled off again but with no engine sound. This is quickly rectified by toggling CV1 off and on again.

The loco then started doing it even without any other sound being operated, literally

every 30cm or so. It’s the same on my rolling road.  The loco roof is noticeably hot by this point.  I tried the chip in my 8 pin Bachmann 40 and it did the same.

Is this a known issue or have I got a faulty

chip? 

Ps im running a basic NCE Powercab set up.

TTS decoders do run hot, have you insulated it with tape or heatshrink, they need to be open to the air or will die due to over heating.

You changed the speaker did you make sure the replacement was an  8ohm speaker, many replacement speakers a 4ohm for ESU decoders.

Other than that it might well be faulty and needs changing 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul80 said:

It's a shame Zimo and ESU don't offer the same with their much more expensive decoders.

Both german manufacturers ESU and D&H (Doehler & Haass) offer a 2-years warranty.

Customer only pays postage for sending the decoder to them.

• Informative/Useful 1

My Mistake 

Zimo will almost always blame the customer blame their customer when one of their decoders fail, even going so far as saying if the heat shrink has been touched it the customers fault, even through going by their instructions the customer has to open the heat shrink to fit one of their stay alive options.

Its a shame ESU have no plans to introduce a direct fit 6 Pin version or else I may well go totally over to them. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/07/2019 at 21:14, aureol40012 said:

I’ve checked all the TTS threads and can’t see one that covers this.

Fitted a TTS to my 31268 which doesn’t have chassis rot! I upgraded the speaker too and took out the fan which was stiff.

Upon firing up the loco sounds great, and once cv 150, 151, and 152 were amended it seemed to run really well.......until the loco lost all engine sound and stopped moving when I operated the horn function. The loco automatically restarts moving back up to the preset speed once the horn is toggled off again but with no engine sound. This is quickly rectified by toggling CV1 off and on again.

The loco then started doing it even without any other sound being operated, literally

every 30cm or so. It’s the same on my rolling road.  The loco roof is noticeably hot by this point.  I tried the chip in my 8 pin Bachmann 40 and it did the same.

Is this a known issue or have I got a faulty

chip? 

Ps im running a basic NCE Powercab set up.

I had one that I fitted in a super detailed 31 that also played up then failed. ANTICS refunded me on it. I would contact the retailer from whom you bought it for a refund.

The 31  then went on to fall apart with chassis rot when I put the original DCC chip back in it!