Looking for nameplate for Class 73...

Hi all

Would anyone be able to suggest a source where I could get a set of 4mm scale etched nameplates for 73138 "Post Haste" please? I have looked at Shawplan, Modelmaster and Fox without success. I realise that Fox offer a custom service (OK, not cheap but perhaps worthwhile if no other sources).

I know this name was carried by a Class 86 and later a Class 67, but I know that the style of plates on both are definitely different and thus no use to me.

Any pointers gratefully accepted thanks!

Are you sure that 86419 used different style plates?

Double checked, I see style was the same, background colour was changed. I have painted one set of black plates red.

Edited by ChrisH-UK
correction/clarification
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If I need to change the background colour of plates, I paint them the appropriate colour, then when thoroughly dry (24 hours minimum) rub them on a smooth surface (the underside of my workbench, which is made from kitchen worktop, works a treat!!) to remove the paint from the letters and outer lip.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

None of those are options I'm afraid...

It seems like there are no manufacturers offering the plates in a black finish as they were fitted to the 86 and if there were they would surely offer the plates in red to suit the 73 too!

The method for changing the colour by painting and wiping off wouldn't work as the full size plates weren't cast in relief.

Had a look at Narrow Planet. Unfortunately their terminology is misleading. They don't do "custom" plates per se, they offer a range of plates of standard design that can have custom numbers applied, so no good.

Thanks for the suggstions, I think I'll just ask Fox to make a set and cringe when the bill arrives.

On 13/07/2019 at 17:50, Bedlington North said:

The method for changing the colour by painting and wiping off wouldn't work as the full size plates weren't cast in relief.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/16504719346/sizes/l

Maybe I just don't understand what relief means in this context

Edited by ChrisH-UK
add link
  • Agree 1