New lives for Pacers - The serious thread.

So, the serious thread (The silly version is here - 

Today, or some other recent day, saw the inauguration of a competition by the DfT for new pacer uses. Now, I wondered what serious, useful, suggestions could be offered here?

More on the competition here - https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/07/transform-a-pacer-competion-now-open.html/amp

One thought of mine is that there is potential for them to be used for commuter services on heritage lines, the slower speeds and shorter distances meaning they'd be less of a problem. The ideal unit for any line to get would be the 144 that Porterbrook rebuilt not so long ago.

Any other (serious/sensible) suggestions?

Edited by sem34090

I had a thought similar to AVS above to remove the bodies aft of the cab and adapt them for swap bodies for supermarket transport.  What gave me the idea was here in Wales where supermarket lorries have to travel some distance to serve places like Welshpool (Tesco) and Aberystwyth (Morrison) along narrow single track roads.  If a 142 was modified to take a swap body, it could run (possibly in multiple with units for other destinations) from wherever the current Stobart Tescoliner runs from, drop off at Shrewsbury, if necessary attaching to a service train if pathing is difficult, and with a new siding or an existing one reactivated, a mobile handling unit and an electric tug, then drop off the swap body at the supermarket(s) at relatively low cost and a chance for great greenwash publicity for the supermarket.  The ability to multiple with other stock would be useful to avoid taking up paths on long single lines, allowing flexible delivery times if needed.

Some routes would need to be cleared but it could be a cheap way of providing experimental goods services on rural lines without the need for expensive new kit which becomes wasted if the experiment fails.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The idea of using them for freight in some form seems reasonable, provided the freight could be handled at either end.

Aberystwyth only has the passenger station platform, for example, so anything on the train would need to be unloaded using equipment which could go on there, not to mention the fun and games that ETCS on the Cambrian lines would cause. Building dedicated facilities at any station would probably be a step too far for the early stages of such an idea. But perhaps there are suitable flows somewhere around the country.

Of course, no reason this has to be limited to Pacers. 150s would probably be a better bet with their wider doors if the existing body is retained.

• Agree 1

I've often thought that a frieght service of sorts could be run using ex-passenger stock and something similar to supermarket rollcages.  It's unfortunate in this case that 142's with the entrance step aren't very suitable.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hesperus said:

I've often thought that a frieght service of sorts could be run using ex-passenger stock and something similar to supermarket rollcages.  It's unfortunate in this case that 142's with the entrance step aren't very suitable.

Sounds suspiciously like Mk1 BGs and BRUTE trollies to me ;-). 

• Agree 1

Parcels units? A updated red star parcels. These days there is so many more parcels being sent around the country thanks to Amazon, eBay online shopping and hattons.:lol: while 142with their step would not be suitable a 143 or a 144 would. They could be coupled onto the front of rear of a passenger service and wouldn't take up any extra paths.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If they ran into Aberystwyth as the front unit they could be unloaded between services and run back as the rear unit of the next service (subject to not causing chaos at Mach when the other unit joins).

33 minutes ago, Hesperus said:

If they ran into Aberystwyth as the front unit they could be unloaded between services and run back as the rear unit of the next service (subject to not causing chaos at Mach when the other unit joins).

You'd have to fit them with ETCS on-board kit; somehow, I don't think the figures would add up..

• RMweb Premium

As much as I'd like to see old stock re-used, and indeed more freight on the railways, I think realistically there isn't a future for them beyond preservation of a few examples. Any parcels projects would need infrastructure which has either been lost or never existed. By the time that's been done, there are better options than converting 142s (150s, Mk3s, ex FGW Motorail vans, HSTs, etc) - chiefly things like MPVs (either new or "borrowed" like for the log trains years back). Every time things like this are brought up, they lead nowhere despite efforts in the industry to get them off the ground, simply because they don't offer enough practical benefits for the cost and complication they introduce to supply chains.

• Like 1

How about taking the engines and gearboxes and fitting them to withdrawn PEP units. Each pair Pacers would power a PEP driving motor, giving a cheap proper DMU needed for some of the more financially poor lines or commuter use. Not every line needs or can afford 100mph brand new DMUs. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heres a few suggestions...

Theyve got big windows / views, Take the bodies off the chassis and use them as a coffee shop. if the seats were removed and replaced by tables / chairs they could serve a grounded purpose.

The chassis / cab could be used as a pway vehicle.

In an undercover setting, they could be good to display a model railway, if you removed the glass from the windows, people could look in to see the layout in use, whilst giving a degree of separation from The layout to the user.

Station waiting rooms, at locations with bay platforms, including bus stations..

Sink a couple off Blackpool beach and offer submarine tours ? (Yes serious).

Holiday cottages ?

Take out the cabs off two ends and block one set of doors, fit the entrance of the other with a ramp, add a full body width gangway, add the prm toilet and run as a 4 car unit.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

How about taking the engines and gearboxes and fitting them to withdrawn PEP units. Each pair Pacers would power a PEP driving motor, giving a cheap proper DMU needed for some of the more financially poor lines or commuter use. Not every line needs or can afford 100mph brand new DMUs. 

Perhaps not the PEP units which are nearly as rusty as the Pacers but there are a good few mk3 based units (317/455) that are being replaced soon and could probably live a few more years.

23 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

You'd have to fit them with ETCS on-board kit; somehow, I don't think the figures would add up..

Would they need the kit if they were the rear unit?  If they didn't then there is plenty of space for a siding at Aberystwyth if the Google maps images are up to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesperus said:

Perhaps not the PEP units which are nearly as rusty as the Pacers but there are a good few mk3 based units (317/455) that are being replaced soon and could probably live a few more years.

Would they need the kit if they were the rear unit?  If they didn't then there is plenty of space for a siding at Aberystwyth if the Google maps images are up to date.

If they weren't fitted, then you'd have all the palaver of running round, which would probably increase dwell-times at either end to 30 minutes or more. I remember this having to be done with the BB22200 electrics when the Channel Tunnel first opened.

As for putting in a new siding at Aber; you're looking at something between £250 000 and £500 000.

Rip the bodies off but leave the cabs on, new mini MPV's which would be handy at this time of years so all the Northern drivers can boost their Christmas bonus doing RHTT.

Or could DRS and Harry Needle have a cunning plan, HS2 staff trains lol

24 minutes ago, Hesperus said:

:o

Maybe try Whitby first?

That's rather a long way for the good people of Aberyswyth to go to collect their parcels ;-).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Convert them into the freight wagons that they really are. Of course, they would have to be able to run at 100 mph on today’s railway, so bogies would have to be fitted, etc, so I guess that rules that out.

• Agree 1