Bachmann On30 Trench Locomotive

Bob S

This just showed up on Bachmann USA’s website, in their On30 steam engine section. Pretty cool!  Most versions are of the USA WW1 liveries, but this one seems ripe for  “local” use.  DCC & Sound.

BD4B6C1E-8069-4041-952C-80749DC3EAC2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

The choice of loco makes sense for Bachmann USA as these locos were built for the US Army, the 4-6-0T version was for the British Army. The virtually identical Davenport built ones didn't even leave the USA before the end of the war, some found uses in the USA.

Someone on NGRM has spotted that the chassis is in fact from a HO loco, the Alco 0-6-0ST here , which has the wrong wheel spacing.

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, Nile said:

Someone on NGRM has spotted that the chassis is in fact from a HO loco, the Alco 0-6-0ST here , which has the wrong wheel spacing.

That's bad news about the existing chassis, and I see it includes the existing cylinder block as well which is wrong for this loco.  A shame as the bodywork looks really nice.

Locos N Stuff have a project for this loco (and the 4-6-0) in 7mm scale in the early stages of development, see here:  https://www.locosnstuff.com/News.php

How this new Bachmann model will effect this project I wouldn't like to guess.

• Informative/Useful 2

remember it is On30 not O16.5, so will be a bit small for some.

When I started in 3D printing I looked at the 4-6-0 and 2-6-2 locos, but decided I did not want to do them as I could not find a suitable r2r chassis, and I was modelling 1/35 scale so track gauge was near enough spot on.

9 hours ago, DLT said:

That's bad news about the existing chassis, and I see it includes the existing cylinder block as well which is wrong for this loco.  A shame as the bodywork looks really nice.

Locos N Stuff have a project for this loco (and the 4-6-0) in 7mm scale in the early stages of development, see here:  https://www.locosnstuff.com/News.php

How this new Bachmann model will effect this project I wouldn't like to guess.

Seems like a misfire given the OO9 4-6-0 looks superior and tends to negate the "better for the US market" argument.  Surely they had all the information on the 4-6-0 and had proved they could get it right?

Interesting to see if the alternative goes ahead.

• 2 weeks later...