pre-gouping Scottish 4-4-0s (most of the time)

18 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You do realise that this is the 'raindance' that will surely precipitate a Glen in RTR OO? How can such elegance be denied? Clever and neat adaption.

I had that with the Hornby J36 - albeit is was 5 or 6 years before they announced their model.  A poor innocent J83 was hacked about for that, unfortunately that project came to a halt for a number of reasons (mostly lack of my own skill then).  At least this Glen class will save me needing to go and buy a Glen if they ever get released in rtr form - I was going to buy a J36 from my local (where I used to do my new loco purchases, as well as browse (or more often purchase from) their impressive 2nd hand range) when I returned from sea the first time, only to find it had closed while I had been away!

16 hours ago, pH said:

Should that not be a "traindance"?

Had thought exactly the same...... :lol:

Pick ups still the bane of this project - may just stick a strip of copper either side of the plastic motor bracket with the ends bent out to touch the metal wheel rims and then have a short length of wire from the copper to the wire on the motor, it will all be concealed once the splashers are finished.

Otherwise loco bodywork going well, may get on to lining the tender today which will be an interesting exercise - using three lots of HMRS general purpose lining (red, black and yellow) to try and achieve something close to North British lining

• 3 weeks later...

GA drawing for the GNSR V/F class (well really it was the V class, but they look essentially the same) received today from the University of Glasgow Archives - was visiting someone there so was able to get some assistance with finding the required drawing, I knew that they had the drawings for Barclay, Sons  & Co. but didn't realise they also have a good bit of the NBL and NBL precursors.  Whilst waiting on the V class drawing being brought out I I looked through the Neilson & Co. list, and it was a case of "I know that engine" (Kelton Fell, Maude (or her batch of locos), 123....).  Still to modify the 2nd B12 chassis though may have a go at CAD for the frames and laser cut the parts instead.  Would give more flexibility for fitting in the motor.  That will be a Christmas job though, as currently back at college with no machine access and only a few modelling bits and pieces......

Should add - if anyone is looking for drawings for locos from Neilson/Neilson Reid & Co, Dubs & Co. and Sharp Stewart & Co. as well as Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. I would fully recommend the Glasgow University archives -  a quick email can be helpful as they might already have a scan of the drawing you are looking for (as I found with the Barclay 60cm gauge 0-6-0s built for the WDLR)

• 3 weeks later...

A slight deviation from 4-4-0s, picked up this rather nice 3D printed body kit.  Will be scratch building  a tender based on my success with the tender for Glen Douglas.  The electrics with Glen Douglas seem to be working ok but need to sort out the screw underneath which holds the pick-ups in place, the thread on the holes is stripped so maybe some milliput or epoxy to sort that out

001.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 5

Picked up some chassis components from the post office this morning (before anyone asks what sort of post office sells 4mm loco parts,  I was out when they tried delivery yesterday :rolleyes:).  A small amount of body hacking will be required at the forward end of the boiler underside up to the smokebox, then some light chassis hacking (it is cast metal so want to do a minimum of that).  A little bit of filing inside the firebox region too, but should be ok here

003.JPG

• Like 3

On 27/09/2019 at 02:36, Caley 439 said:

Should add - if anyone is looking for drawings for locos from Neilson/Neilson Reid & Co, Dubs & Co. and Sharp Stewart & Co. as well as Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. I would fully recommend the Glasgow University archives -  a quick email can be helpful as they might already have a scan of the drawing you are looking for (as I found with the Barclay 60cm gauge 0-6-0s built for the WDLR)

The Mitchell Library also has an "NB Loco and predecessors" collection.

I have been to the Mitchell for loco plans before, though I didn't find it as simple to search for plans there - as far as I'm aware the NB side is split between them and the GU Archives, which maybe makes it more difficult too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking more like a NBR 4-4-0 now (if you close one eye and squint the other :P).  I've stuck with the crude 3D printed chimney and dome I did previously, using Milliput to improve them once glued in position

IMG_0211[1].JPG

IMG_0209[1].JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Work on a 3000 gallon tender for 828 coming along nicely. Based on images and the Caley Coaches notes (which were invaluable for the wealth of information) for their kit of this type of tender. Begun a second one as I had some sheet left over from the first one which was already the right length - you never know, it might sprout a Caley loco :D

Hacking the 812 body kit has also given an idea of what parts of the chassis need to be hacked at when home at Christmas

Final image is still Caley related, being a 1:12 version of my 1:19 Caledonian Railway station bench kit. A small thank you gift for someone who models dolls houses, this being painted up in the style of the Coaches from that railway.

IMG_20191126_122150802.jpg

IMG_20191126_181757711.jpg

IMG_20191126_181825361.jpg

• Like 9

Are you aware that Modelmaster (decals fame) advertise some resin NBR loco kits for 2020 release? You may find their website useful as they describe (no photos yet) that they will have detailed fittings. Your projects are coming along nicely by the way. looking forward to seeing the finished result.

I have some basic drawings for a GNOS 0-4-4 Tank (LNER G10) they used on their "Subbies" out of Aberdeen along Deeside to Ballater. Its very similar to an M7, but the chassis would be difficult to correct, so a scratchbuilt chassis would probably be the easier way to go. Its definitely on my "when I get time/wish list/ a long way down my dreams list of projects priorities", notwithstanding the "domestic Managements" lists, which somehow are more urgent and important!!!?

So keep the faith and crack on. I will follow your progress with interest, if not a little jealously.

Tod

• Like 1

Thanks Tod, I had seen the adverts when looking for suitable decals  - I'm sure they will be very nice, but unfortunately a bit above my budget.

There was a heavily modified M7 on the GNSR stand at Perth this year which had been modified to represent the GNoS tank, not sure if it had it's original chassis though.  I've gone a long wishlist, it's also a case of finishing off current projects - doesn't help when I leave parts back home (such as Glen Douglas's smokebox door) as it means I need to wait until said job can be completed!  Hope at least some of your wishlist comes to fruition - I just hope that my posts show that it can be simple (well at least sometimes.....) to build pre-grouping engines, mind I have sort of cheated with 828 as the body for that is a one piece 3D print :secret:

Edited by Caley 439
spelling error

Really enjoying this topic and have been following with great interest a modeler after my own heart

Poor health has held me back over the last couple of years so I've done a lot of arm chair planing and collecting materials for when I can hopefully (soon) get back to modeling.

Future pre grouping projects I'd like to look at are 

G&SWR Smellie 2-4-0

a standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis will be the starting point believe it or not the wheel base is the same

G&SWR Smellie 0-6-0 (Cass 22) again a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis 

G&SWR Smellie 4-4-0 hmm still thinking about the chassis on this one.

I know I know all Smellie locos but I love his designs and who doesn't love a sterling style cab.

Also some HR locos and at the moment am collecting parts for a HR Loch to complete a partial kit that Andy UAX6 gave me.

I've such a backlog of Caley kits that I've got it seems a life time of work building those lol but I'm also looking at a Conner class No.1 2-4-0 built on a modified M7 chassis.

A Conner class 67 2-2-2 single using a modified Bachman Emily chassis and finally a Brittains 0-4-2 670 class and the chassis for this was a very old Triang princes flat plate chassis (Trust me the two leading drivers match the wheel base of the 0-4-2)

Many parts for this last three with there tenders have already been drawn or cut on a silhouette machine and I've also got a selection of GBL T9, C Class and Caley single tenders to assist as well

So as long as I live to 120 I should be able to get most of this done.

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, pH said:

Big bogie?

https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/GandSWR/GSWR56.jpg

No need to apologise for liking Smellie's engines!

Thanks pH I think it's got to be the big bogie as nice as the 119 class is its small and low slung boiler would make getting a motor/gearbox combination in hard so it looks like it's the 153 class. Same looks as the 119 but a real beast.

Edited by Londontram
Spelling correction
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Londontram said:

Really enjoying this topic and have been following with great interest a modeler after my own heart

Poor health has held me back over the last couple of years so I've done a lot of arm chair planing and collecting materials for when I can hopefully (soon) get back to modeling.

Thanks Steve strangely enough I was reading through "Steve's Caledonian loco work bench" the other day having a look at your Dunalastair conversions!    The local model shop, with cabinets full of new and 2nd hand locos, has a narrow cab T9 at a tempting price - albeit with an 8 wheel tender - and the thought of picking it up for my own Dunalastair conversion has crossed my mind, though I would do it as 721.

To be fair I'd like to get a GNSR or Highland engine (I think my quasi-scale representation of Loch Tay in late LMS condition will stand out poorly against my other engines now) before I start going for more Caley engines - Adams Radial tanks are in the sights for this, though finding one at a price where I don't feel bad about hacking at it is more difficult. Keeping this within a student budget is an additional constraint 

Hope things go ok for you and look forward to seeing how your builds go - the Conner engines are interesting and unusual ones.  Not so familiar with GSWR engines to be fair (more familiar with their ships), it's a pity they were made extinct relatively early

23 hours ago, Caley 439 said:

Thanks Tod, I had seen the adverts when looking for suitable decals  - I'm sure they will be very nice, but unfortunately a bit above my budget.

There was a heavily modified M7 on the GNSR stand at Perth this year which had been modified to represent the GNoS tank, not sure if it had it's original chassis though.  I've gone a long wishlist, it's also a case of finishing off current projects - doesn't help when I leave parts back home (such as Glen Douglas's smokebox door) as it means I need to wait until said job can be completed!  Hope at least some of your wishlist comes to fruition - I just hope that my posts show that it can be simple (well at least sometimes.....) to build pre-grouping engines, mind I have sort of cheated with 828 as the body for that is a one piece 3D print :secret:

As a member of the GNoS society I am aware of that M7 conversion by Des Byrne, the modelling guru I have been in touch with him about this loco. I seem to recall he used the old Triang chassis, not the latest version. When (if) I get round to making one, I'll produce a compensated chassis with a Hi-Level gearbox. They are so good, which I have used on several remotor projects.  So back to the here and now, the list gets ever longer, which includes at least two small layouts in both 00 and 009 and as we say, one day..............................!?

Tod

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2019 at 19:05, Londontram said:

Brittains 0-4-2 670 class and the chassis for this was a very old Triang princes flat plate chassis (Trust me the two leading drivers match the wheel base of the 0-4-2)

There must be enough left over from the Princess for a 2-2-2 or some such!

• Like 1

A little further with the tenders, will see if there are any goodies suitable for them at Peterborough tomorrow - springs or axle boxes would be handy, though if nothing I can laser cut some in a week and a bit.

IMG_20191206_190345890.jpg

IMG_20191206_190333375.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All of the hacking today of the 700 class chassis has had some good results - without the motor retainers on it, the 812 body fits on nicely, just a little more filing needed at the rear so the wheels line up with the splashers correctly.  The other cab hand rail also bit the dust :sorry:  Just to remove the wheels in readiness for painting blue.  Thinking of leaving the body in gloss blue (as it looks like a good shade of Caley blue anyway) with the smokebox in matt black