pre-gouping Scottish 4-4-0s (most of the time)

On 16/12/2019 at 21:28, Compound2632 said:

Looks good enough to sit on!

Thanks Compound, I seem to have developed some strange 'expertise' in railway company benches - have discovered over the years images of this style of bench (though not with the Caley initials) in London, and I have seen with my own eyes several in a park in Fleetwood. 

To be fair, when researching the benches (yes some of us have done that) of the Highland and Great North of Scotland Railways, the associations for said lines were extremely helpful

• Like 1

A bit more filing this morning, motor retainers width reduced and the body now sits on the chassis with the mechanics in place (pickups not fitted back on though!). Tender frames drilled out too, just some work to do on shaping the cutouts. Coming along nicely just now.

IMG_20191220_125234720.jpg

• Like 6

A picture of the worm gear just behind the backhead - the lovely 3D printed backhead fits over here quite happily with no apparent issues. Once it is in place - when hacking of the chassis is finished :butcher: - then the rest of the cab details can be fitted in such as the reverser and crew (Langley, bought at Peterborough and a bit of a test for some dry brushing?

IMG_20191213_164843354.jpg

IMG_20191220_161308102.jpg

• Like 6

Not a lot happened with 828 over Christmas,or so it seems at first.....

Tender structure mostly complete, just to fix a bolt/screw for fixing the body to the chassis and then painting.  The spare 3D printed buffers came in handy here

The loco though :boredom: 

Some more filing of the chassis and body to bring the buffer height down to that of the tender and a sample of wagons. Unfortunately the gear on the rear axle is in contact with the underside of the cab floor! Will take the 'not a Dremel' to it again tonight to file away some more material so it hopefully all works with no issues - currently the rear is a bit higher than the front of the loco, which is at the right height

IMG_20191228_153441968.jpg

IMG_20191228_153537128.jpg

• Like 6

A small comparison of the 812 and 700.  Tender frames now painted, and definitely makes a visual difference - having a look at images of 828 yesterday has made me realise it will be a job getting the lining around the axle boxes, maybe a simplified Caledonian livery to start off with.

Other good news just in - the floor in the cab should be raised. I'll take the 'not a Dremel' and cut out the existing floor and put in a new one in plastic card, this now should give sufficient clearance for the gear on the rear axle! :victory: :D

IMG_20191230_120109539.jpg

• Like 4

Just found your thread and really enjoying it. I have a Scott and a Glen ready to build in 7mm. (both NB Models kits)  Really great elegant looking locomotives.  I will do an 812 further down the line.  Your thread has really given me a push to try a bit of scratchbuilding myself in the not too distant future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Shez,  slowly making my way through the locomotives I would like when I have a layout again.  It's just a case of balancing it out companywise - currently a very heavy leaning towards the Caley with the NB and HR getting a small look in, the GNSR even less and the GSWR nothing at all!    Just had a look at the NB Models site (with a Scott and a Glen at the top!), the kits do look very nice.  I picked up some chimney castings at Peterborough from the 247 stand (a box of random loose chimney castings), and the shorter one could do nicely for a Scott/Glen

54 minutes ago, Shez said:

Your thread has really given me a push to try a bit of scratchbuilding myself in the not too distant future.

It's a slippery slope :lol:,  though I was in turn encouraged by seeing others work on here. All the best with it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caley 439 said:

"Your thread has really given me a push to try a bit of scratchbuilding myself in the not too distant future."

It's a slippery slope :lol:,  though I was in turn encouraged by seeing others work on here. All the best with it.

Hi Chaps,

Scratch building is great fun, I build all sorts of things.

Two years ago I broke my collar bone and bought a Peter Tatlow book on cranes, read it and bought another, I now have all three in the series. You only have to look at my threads to see where just those books took me and how interesting scratch building can be.

It doesn't matter what you build its that you build it !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

I meant the slippery slope as a bit of humour (I hadn't expected to be building X-many Caledonian tenders) 

On 30/12/2019 at 19:12, Gibbo675 said:

You only have to look at my threads to see where just those books took me and how interesting scratch building can be.

I've been having a good browse through your thread on cranes  Gibbo  (might be the one "What is on the bench was previously in my head"?), and the scratchbuilding of the parts on them is amazing - I think I'd go a bit mad with so many small parts :jester: 

I think a future scratchbuild of mine could be a Highland 4 or 6 wheel coach (to help counteract the Caley you know) as I have suitable buffer and axlebox castings, though I'll probably put that idea on the back burner for a little longer.... 

Think I spoke to soon on monday; new (planked) floor made for inside the cab, and part of the old floor cut out to clear the gear on the rear axle. Unfortunately whilst this has sorted out the problem of the gear being in contact with the body, there just doesn't seem to be the necessary clearance inside the rear splashers for the wheels!  As a result, when compared to the buffer heights of the 700 class, Caley association and Oxford Rail wagons the buffers are still too high :banghead:

I think the lesson here is..........wait until Easter where I will hopefully have access to a laser cutter and do a set of acrylic frames with a set of Romford wheels (maybe get them a tad undersized too?) - will have a search around the stands at Doncaster in February to see if there's some.

The hacked about 700 chassis won't go to waste though - just to think what to build with it. 

I've not done the numbers yet but how about sticking a front truck on the 812 chassis it might make a good starting point for a Caledonian 34 class 2-6-0 

The Tenders the same and you might even be able to adapt the body in some way as well giving you another loco option.

As to the 700 chassis theres so many Scottish 4-4-0 to choose from i wouldn't like to start to suggest where to go next.

Me I've got a bit of a thing about the G&SWR 153 class big bogie so that's going on my to do list.

Steve

Caledonian 34 class 2-6-0

20200102_183821.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo
  • Like 3

I have thought about the 34 class, and the advantage is that the boiler is pitched high enough to fit in the mechanism too (why a scratchbuilt Jumbo wasn't opted for).  A few designs from the auld enemy were also pondered (J35 & J37)

• 3 months later...

Chassis all running, body still sitting a little high, but I can live with that (won't be too bad, especially when running with a mix of Triang, Hornby and kit/scratch built stock) . Coupling rods still to be fitted, and a drawbar made up. Colour wise, still to see about - 828 did wear a lighter blue in the 1990s, more akin to the shade that 123 is in.  

IMG_20200503_121407071.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That's very blue - certainly needs the lining to tone it down!

I've got a Caley styled 4-6-0 somewhere Compoind2632 (picked up 2nd hand, think of it as a Frankenstein loco...) which is bluer than this! :O Looking through some pictures taken in the old Glasgow transport museum, this shade of blue does sort of match with No123. Managed to find the sheet of Pressfix LNER lining so lining can go ahead - I'll practise on the tender first so if it doesn't look great with this blue at least it shouldn't be too bad to have to redo it

Coupling rods are now in place and holes drilled so the chassis can in theory be fitted to the body, found that the two fixing points on the chassis aren't 8BA (or 10BA), which makes sense with the 700 being a modern loco I guess - I'm just familiar with the Triang and older Hornby locos where it generally was said thread (with 6BA I think too?).  An 8BA tap sorted it out anyway…. :butcher:

• Like 4

Lining on the tender going nicely, though on the frames it will be greatly reduced from how it appears on the prototype. 

Cabside wise, well , the bits of the HMRS LNER lining which are curved come out as a thick black line with a thin white strip on one side only, so no good. Ended up going for the standard bits of lining, not the neatest but a small bit of touching up should improve the appearance

• Like 1