Chilworth Halt - my first micro

Hi all,

At the end of April, to celebrate fifteen years of service, the company I work for presented me with an Oxford Rail Dean Goods locomotive.. Outed now as a model railway enthusiast, I decided to show, over the next few months, an example of what we do as railway modellers.

Using mostly freely sourced materials such as recycled packaging etc, I have embarked on the creation of a scenic micro layout to serve as a place to "play trains" and photograph models.

Overall dimensions of the scenic section are one metre by forty two centimetres.

• Like 3

Part of my purpose with this was to show what can be done with not a lot of money and a little ingenuity...

Baseboard_1a.jpg.eeb1384a728560899b9a9720fc1e044e.jpg

Heavy duty tri-layer cardboard from pallet, and card pallet corner protectors.

Baseboard_2a.jpg.6ea52f5caee97f319753bfb9bdadf75f.jpg   

Pound store pva, hot glue sticks and paint. Kitchen towel.

The baseboard was cut to shape from the heavy duty cardboard. Then Framed and braced with the card pallet corners using the hot glue gun.

Baseboard_3a.jpg.99d171ef2cbc71af1f4e0d6e2e07dda5.jpg

Everything was then reinforced using the tried and trusted paper towel/pva method. The pva also seals the cardboard against temperature and humidity effects.

Baseboard_4a.jpg.80bc6e96336b361466b689c3bede7bcb.jpg

The feline assistants/

inspectors, give everything the thumbs up

Baseboard_6a.jpg.ad2e640691bb567c11ab2fd17ff7c4c9.jpg

Surprisingly strong for such simple materials.

Baseboard_7a.jpg.017982383dff254be123354995ee8f6e.jpg

The finished baseboard with my attempt at a faux distressed leather effect using cheap emulsion and acrylic washes.

Total financial investment so far - less than £1.

Edited by Bill_J
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Bill I like your approach of a budget type layout. I like working with cardboard myself so many things can be achieved by not spending a lot of money. 

Nice looking baseboard, look forward to seeing more.:)

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your comments Marly and Kevin.

I've always loved working with paper. Maybe because I grew up with Blue Peter and The Children's Encyclopaedia with its Things To Make and Do.

I remember well, making an Ewok Village from cardboard, toilet roll tubes and paper mache, for my children, more than 30 years ago.

Paper and card can be cut, folded, moulded and embossed, all useful techniques for making models. You don't need many tools, and you can make things while sitting with family watching tv.

Track plan should be up in the next day or so...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Bill, 

Fantastic to see that you have started a layout thread and that you have made a good start. What an ingenious and resourceful baseboard! I do tend to think we massively over-engineer things at time, making layouts heavy and unwieldy. However you have shown this doesn't have to be the case and with a little lateral thinking here are alternatives to the traditional methods. The low-cost is another great benefit!! 

Looking forward to following your progress. Keep up the good work!

David 

• Thanks 1

Great start Bill, I'll look forward to seeing this grow. Excuse my ignorance but what is the paper towel method? I'd hazard a guess you soak the paper in dilute pva the use that.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

My method is to rip cheap kitchen towel into small pieces -roughly 2" squares. My pva is the cheap kids one from a certain high street pound shop, which I dilute approximately 60% pva to 40% water and add a drop of washing up liquid to aid flow. Using a cheap brush, I spread the pva on the surface I want to use, place a piece of paper towel on there and brush the pva over the top until it goes transparent. Continue doing this, overlapping each piece of towel with those previously applied. Varying the angle of the paper towel pieces, makes a stronger shell. do this for at least three or four layers.

It takes a while, but is much less messy than soaking paper in the pva mix. It is surprising how strong this shell is when fully dry. Easily strong enough to take a thin coat of cheap, pound shop, filler for creating scenery contours. I will post some "how I did it" pictures when I get around to the scenery for this little layout.

I find it to be be quite therapeutic, especially if I'm stressed about life.

Hope this helps... 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I made a start on the layout proper yesterday. This is how the track plan currently looks. 

191023773_trackplan_1.jpg.3ffcee054834a6d8eb18bd667413bb2e.jpg

2106885958_trackplan_2.jpg.5b5f64e7816f33db9d429a012b40e61d.jpg

Just a single point and siding, long enough to hold up to five wagons depending on size. Run around can be performed using fiddle-sticks. Or simple shunting puzzles, on the scenic section, with the other line available for displaying other stock. Current idea is a rural location.

As I am using this project to trial various modelling techniques and strategies, this track layout is to be demountable.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bill_J said:

As I am using this project to trial various modelling techniques and strategies, this track layout is to be demountable.

Good to see track down already, you're motoring ahead! It's the reason I love micro layouts, as just 20 minutes work or so and you can see progress. Small manageable tasks that aren't overwhelming. I find this really useful as I don't get too anxious.

Being 'demountable' is a really interesting concept - so the 'base' will theoretically be able to support a number of different layouts? How will the scene be attached to the base? 

3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Being 'demountable' is a really interesting concept - so the 'base' will theoretically be able to support a number of different layouts? How will the scene be attached to the base? 

Thanks David. The track isn't quite laid yet, just placed to show the track plan. The track bed is nearly finished though. I doubt that I will use this particular method of boxing the expanded polystyrene packing sheet. It is still quite flimsy and I've spent more time on trying to strengthen it than it really warrants. On the other hand it has cost nothing, as all the packing materials and the grey card are recycled waste. Still on the same pot of pva.

The current idea for the demountable sections is to use bookbinders screw posts, of which I have a few, somewhere, in all my bits & pieces. Again, this will be experimental.

Thank you Kevin and Jerry for your kind comments. I think the Armstrong, Dean and Churchward designed locomotives are some of most attractive ever built.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 hours ago, Bill_J said:

The current idea for the demountable sections is to use bookbinders screw posts, of which I have a few, somewhere, in all my bits & pieces. Again, this will be experimental.

Thanks for the explanation Bill. I think it is a fantastic idea. I have always been intrigued by multi-era and/or multi-location layouts, where the setting can be altered by changing buildings and vehicles etc, but your proposal takes this one step further. I cannot wait to see what you do. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation, it is the only way we learn and develop our skills. As I said, particularly with baseboard construction, I really think we tend to over-engineer things. It's good to see someone having a different approach to the traditional methods. 

• RMweb Gold

Don't underestimate the need for strengthening foam board.

I made an early version of Treamble, added some paper kitchen towel covered in paint, and the whole layout bowed as the paint dried. 

Even small cakebox-sized squares can bow if you paint just one side...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks for your comments Stubby.

As I said earlier, much of this adventure is about experimenting with techniques to make the best use of materials that normally end up in the rubbish. I don't think i would use this material in this way in future. the foam is just the flimsy sheets used to protect appliances inside the carton when in transit. The triple layer corrugated card would probably have been a better solution. I agree about using the same treatment on all the raw surfaces.

regards

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Definitely interested to see how this develops, especially using so much cardboard for the baseboard. I’d been eyeing up that corner protector angle card for quite some time but never got a chance to use it. 

I hope it works out for you.

Thanks Halsted, yes they do like it when I'm making things and, just like kids, they truly believe It's for them. They do like moving trains too, they hunt and kill them. :) They also leave fur fluff absolutely everywhere, it certainly adds an interesting texture to freshly painted surfaces.

Thanks for your comments JamesGWR101. In a short break from construction at the moment, after a busy and tiring week at work. Also, trying to locate everything I need to wire the layout. I want to get this done by next weekend so I can at least play trains, while I make a start on the scenery.

Hope to post more soon...

Regards, Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1