Railway Company offers free travel to university open days

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant. And in some cases it will become a "get 'em while they're young" as students learn about rail's speed and convenience, which they can access a little more cheaply with a Student RailCard, I think. I suspect a significant % of students have scarcely been on a train, as their home location, and/or parental driving habits, made it unnecessary. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Brilliant. And in some cases it will become a "get 'em while they're young" as students learn about rail's speed and convenience, which they can access a little more cheaply with a Student RailCard, I think. I suspect a significant % of students have scarcely been on a train, as their home location, and/or parental driving habits, made it unnecessary. 

Quite agree.  

Although somewhat exceptionally our local 'Sixth Form College (or whatever they call them nowadays?) draws in pupils from other LEA areas and the vast majority travel in by train - contributing quite substantially to the passenger numbers on the branch (and alas to the workload of those lumbered with cleaning the unit interiors).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

With careful planning, and the right sort of post-Graduate course, it's possible to go directly from a Student Railcard to a Senior one

No longer just a student railcard, available to anyone 16-24 years old, by which time a lot have a couple of kids so move onto the family and friends one. If they haven't got kids there's also a 26-30 one now.

When I was eligible it was strictly a full time student only railcard. Those of us working for a living, probably the majority then, were expected to pay full price even though many were on apprenticeship wages including days at college as, oddly enough a student, me included.:mad:

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Foulounoux said:

I presume there is some form of check to prevent misuse. IE you have to show an invitation letter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48965585

The irony of the person posting the link to the story not even reading the story:

Students can register with the university for a voucher for a free ticket for the next open day in September, which can be used on West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway services

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Foulounoux said:

Sorry I read it twice but completely missed that probably because was on phone and scrolled too fast

A politer response would have been sufficient to alert me to my omission 

If you are going to criticise, it behoves you to have read the thing you are criticising properly. You lobbed the grenade, someone else chucked it back. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1