12 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I can never get the stuff to stick (again it must be me!).

The typical CA glues packaged for domestic use seem to have been changed early in this century. I think they were changed from high strength to low-strength not-really-glue-at-all formula to enhance safety and to ward off lawsuits. I now buy only CA product marketed for industrial use - Everbuild do one - and this seems to actually contain glue.

Also, the CA glue I'm now using seems not to set quickly or properly in high humidity. This is very surprising as folklore says that the stuff is activated by moisture and one should blow on it to speed up setting.

On 13/07/2019 at 22:29, RLWP said:

Ahh, glue nostalgia

For your consideration, I offer 

Copydex

d7d7abb0c60655ca1bda35590328861c.jpg

and

Cow Gum

cow1-300x211.jpg

Richard

Do you know how late Cow Gum was produced? Mr. Cow had a works making the stuff in south London (Blackheath?) early in the 20th century, and possiblybefore. And the firm had PO wagons.

1 minute ago, Guy Rixon said:

And the firm had PO wagons.

Pictures needed!

Cow Gum was the adhesive of choice in the Technical Publications department when I was a student. Part of the fun was forming a huge ball of the used stuff

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, NCB said:

Copydex diluted is good for ballasting.

I've stuck track down with it too, holds it well enough and isn't impossible to move should you need to. I also thought it might deaden the sound a bit but it doesn't seem to make much difference there.

An interesting thread with some fairly local connections.

I recall using Cow Gun in the mid-eighties for mounting materials, maps etc, to some display panels for an exhibition.

Also seem to recall that it went mouldy after a while and stained through the displays, obviously due to it being a natural organic material.

Always found the original Evo-stik contact adhesive very good for woodwork assembly and sticking on Formica laminates. I also use it for sticking brick paper onto scratch-built card buildings using the wall paper system. Coat both surfaces, allow to start going off, apply brick paper. It gives you time to straighten things up and any excess can be rubbed of cleanly after it few minutes when it goes rubbery.

RB

Glow glue with red top applicator on top of a triangular bottle was a gum good for paper and cardboard bot would leave the paper wrinkly.

Copydex is a rubber glue I think and dries flexible, I prefer it for sticking ballast down rather than PVA with sets the track hard like concrete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2019 at 22:29, RLWP said:

Ahh, glue nostalgia

For your consideration, I offer 

Copydex

d7d7abb0c60655ca1bda35590328861c.jpg

and

Cow Gum

cow1-300x211.jpg

Richard

Ah yes ‘Copydex for gluing textiles and leather and no early commercial artist/graphic designer would have been able to produce ‘paste-up’ finished artwork without ‘Cow Gum’! :rolleyes:

• Like 1