Hornby 0-4-0 chassis - adjusting the gauge

I have a couple of Hornby 0-4-0 locos that I want to use as the basis for 7mm narrow gauge conversions. I noticed when running them on a length of track, even at crawling speed, they tend to waddle like a fat duck. On further investigation I found the the wheels are definitely under gauge, by close to 2mm. They can almost drop into the track. I want to ease the wheels out closer to gauge.

Can anyone advise on the best way to do this using ordinary hand tools please?

Regards, Bill

You need a drift (a soft blunt nail will do) slightly smaller in diameter than the axle end. Hold loco in palm of hand with axle to be worked on above the centre of the palm, and hold the drift on the axle end between thumb and most convenient finger tip. Tap drift with a pin hammer. Start gently to get the feel for how much movement is generated.

This doesn't disturb quartering or the true seating on the axle (assuming the wheel was on true in the first place).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If its Triang Hornby with a metal chassis and metal wheels with coupling rod screws proceed as suggested above by 34 (C)  If its a Smokey  Joe or 4 wheel Thomas with non see through metal rim plastic spoke wheels and a plastic chassis  I would just jam a couple of screw drivers between chassis and wheel back and prise them to gauge. It will waddle even worse. you could pry the wheels right off and stick a washer or two between wheel and chassis and tweak the pickups for better running but it still looks horrible...

I have taken the rims off cut out the centre on my lathe and refitted the rim which improved the look no end

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Like David I have used the pair of screwdrivers technique with success. Unlike David I don't have a lathe so to improve the appearance of the solid backed Hornby wheels I paint between the spokes with gloss black, then go over the front surface of the wheel with a dirty black mix, matt black with a drop of red oxide and cream. Improves the look no end.

• Informative/Useful 2