Bachmann reveal new Thomas Narrow Gauge Coaches

3 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Is the 0-4-0 Thomas the clockwork one, or did they do it as electric as well? The thing that made me think of it originally is that I seem to remember problems arising a few years ago when one of the Bachmann Junior locos (sold in the UK, a freelance industrial starter loco type of thing) turned out to be Percy but with a proper smoke box and in a different livery. The new coaches certainly look very nice though, and it’s particularly good that they’ve done some in a ‘proper’ livery as well as the blue.

They did a clockwork Thomas, but they produced another short-lived 0-4-0 electric version. Back in 1993, Hornby produced a kiddie range known as Stationmaster that featured some very luridly-coloured versions of their cheapo kiddie-friendly rolling stock, plus the GKN D class and BR class 06. It was based around a neat pack-away first radius battery powered oval of track. Later, Hornby recycled the battery powered pack-away track as a battery-powered Thomas set, and it was for this that they developed the electric 0-4-0 version of the character.

I don't know why they didn't use the already-existing clockwork body, which to my mind was a more TV-accurate version of the character than either the 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 electric versions. Percy, Toby and Bill/Ben all used the same tooling for clockwork and electric versions.

On a related note, is Duke still featured in the stories, like he is in the original books? I spy an opportunity to convince Bachmann to make an RTR England 0-4-0... :)

Edit: also, I’m sorry if I’ve accidentally derailed the thread with speculation about Bachmann and the licensing stuff. I don’t think it particularly makes sense to anyone...

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

On a related note, is Duke still featured in the stories, like he is in the original books? I spy an opportunity to convince Bachmann to make an RTR England 0-4-0..

Unlikely with Kato having just announced one. https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/others/news-kato-and-peco-announce-009-small-england-locomotive

13 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

On a related note, is Duke still featured in the stories, like he is in the original books? I spy an opportunity to convince Bachmann to make an RTR England 0-4-0... :)

Edit: also, I’m sorry if I’ve accidentally derailed the thread with speculation about Bachmann and the licensing stuff. I don’t think it particularly makes sense to anyone...

Afraid he's not - his character only appeared in series 4 and hasn't yet returned in CGI. Although Peco and Kato are collaborating on an England 0-4-0 at the moment (EDIT: Ninja'd by Mr Parker above).

One thing I've not seen any mention of around here is that Bachmann have also announced Peter Sam. Unfortunately, the character has a Giesl ejector, which is only accurate for Edward Thomas for a brief period in the 60s. I'm sure someone will produce a replacement funnel to keep Talyllyn and Corris modellers happy.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

And apparently a double Fairlie to follow - I wonder how many variants will be produced?

The announcement talks about 4 small Englands but there were also two slightly enlarged versions (Welsh Pony, currently under restoration on the FR, and Little Giant).

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HonestTom said:

Possibly, although the 0-4-0 Thomas was definitely specifically made for the Thomas range. Pretty sure Dart was too, although I don't know how big the gap was between that being announced and the Railroad version. Maybe they could have got around the issue by developing both at the same time. I must admit, I don't really know how the copyright thing works with this kind of issue. Everyone seems fine with Bachmann developing Talyllyn slate wagons and calling them Skarloey slate wagons first, so who knows?

From my understanding, the engines themselves are the ones under this clause for Bachmann, especially when discussing the NG engines as they were originally commissioned by the current owners, Mattel. The rolling stock I figure is outside of this clause.

1 hour ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

From my understanding, the engines themselves are the ones under this clause for Bachmann, especially when discussing the NG engines as they were originally commissioned by the current owners, Mattel. The rolling stock I figure is outside of this clause.

That makes a bit more sense. I think the slate wagons at least would not be classed as ‘characters’ so would be outside this.

18 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

And apparently a double Fairlie to follow - I wonder how many variants will be produced?

Yikes! If Kato or Bachmann was to do the Hunslet WD 4-6-0T (my favourite ng loco) that would be enough to get me to "defect" to OO9.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Yikes! If Kato or Bachmann was to do the Hunslet WD 4-6-0T (my favourite ng loco) that would be enough to get me to "defect" to OO9.

Cheers

David

Idk if there ever was a Hunselt built 4-6-0T for narrow gauge, I know of the Baldwin one, which Bachmann have released already.

2 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Idk if there ever was a Hunselt built 4-6-0T for narrow gauge, I know of the Baldwin one, which Bachmann have released already.

The Hunslets came first, the Baldwins were ordered because Hunslet and other British loco builders were busy, and just weren't able to build locos fast enough in quantity (Baldwin built about 500 I think). The Hunslets were definitely prettier...

26595663149_c1d8a3a531_c.jpgIMG_4209 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

That's a Langley kit on a Minitrix chassis, though the chassis mods are are a b***er to do.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 31/07/2019 at 13:05, HonestTom said:

Afraid he's not - his character only appeared in series 4 and hasn't yet returned in CGI. Although Peco and Kato are collaborating on an England 0-4-0 at the moment (EDIT: Ninja'd by Mr Parker above).

One thing I've not seen any mention of around here is that Bachmann have also announced Peter Sam. Unfortunately, the character has a Giesl ejector, which is only accurate for Edward Thomas for a brief period in the 60s. I'm sure someone will produce a replacement funnel to keep Talyllyn and Corris modellers happy.

Ill give it a whirl :) although in fairness, what has been shown this far is more or less a screenshot of the CGI model, so it’s currently unclear if the loco will have the Geisel or not. 

That being said, I’ll happily run up a chimney for whichever version isn’t done :)

3 hours ago, mjcampbell said:

The Hunslets came first, the Baldwins were ordered because Hunslet and other British loco builders were busy, and just weren't able to build locos fast enough in quantity (Baldwin built about 500 I think). The Hunslets were definitely prettier...

26595663149_c1d8a3a531_c.jpgIMG_4209 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

That's a Langley kit on a Minitrix chassis, though the chassis mods are are a b***er to do.

This is why I'm hoping for a new one with a modern mech with good low speed running, rather than a kit on an ancient and difficult to find chassis that only seems to have 2 speeds.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Cheers

David

I think it's a strong contender. It's often the case that when one manufacturer announces a model in OO9, they or others will announce complementary models. As there is already a WD loco and two wagons (more if you include HOe), I could certainly see someone choosing a Hunslet 4-6-0 to go with it.

I mean, that's basically the process we're seeing with the Bachmann Thomas. They started out doing "generic" rolling stock, then they discovered their Skarloey was unexpectedly popular with Talyllyn modellers, so now they're producing appropriate rolling stock.

It makes a lot of sense. OO9 is relatively niche, even with the boost from RTR manufacturers, so it's almost symbiotic - maybe a modeller won't buy a RTR model if there's nothing to run it with, but if they know they can buy a whole train off the shelf, it becomes a lot more attractive.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I think it's a strong contender. It's often the case that when one manufacturer announces a model in OO9, they or others will announce complementary models. As there is already a WD loco and two wagons (more if you include HOe), I could certainly see someone choosing a Hunslet 4-6-0 to go with it.

Oh no, I hope not, it took me ages to build that model and get it working... :o

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 months later...
On 01/08/2019 at 10:28, DavidB-AU said:

Cheers

David

Would so love one but it could easily made using Bachmann baldwin chassis and the langley body.

2 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

Would so love one but it could easily made using Bachmann baldwin chassis and the langley body.

They have a different wheelbase. If it's going to be done it should be done properly.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 20:57, 298 said:

Only on one side....

You'll be happy to know both coaches only have the doors on one side. They're as I thought they would be, accurate to their prototypes. Shame I can't get my hands on mine until after Christmas. Even then, the 2 red's will be painted into their RWS liveries, may have to repaint the blue too, to match the red after the repaint.

Edited by SomethingTrainLover

On 14/12/2019 at 10:11, SomethingTrainLover said:

You'll be happy to know both coaches only have the doors on one side. They're as I thought they would be, accurate to their prototypes. Shame I can't get my hands on mine until after Christmas. Even then, the 2 red's will be painted into their RWS liveries, may have to repaint the blue too, to match the red after the repaint.

If a double sided version isn't commercially viable, hopefully there are third party etched or 3D printed additions to allow freelance modifications. Including things like duckets.

Also curious how hard it would be to join two together into a bogie coach.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

If a double sided version isn't commercially viable, hopefully there are third party etched or 3D printed additions to allow freelance modifications. Including things like duckets.

As you’ll see in the photo on the link the second side has doors, hinges and footboards  on at least some of them, there’s just no passenger handle to get out of the off side ;)  I have some ordered from Tootally and will try to remember to post pics once they arrive of the off side. 

https://wales247.co.uk/talyllyn-railway-has-best-year-for-a-decade/

• Thanks 1