Hydro hold-alls and Touax timber 2-for-1 from RevolutioN (OO - IWA Wagon)

surfsup

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2019 at 08:22, daz9284 said:

can the log carriers please be made DCC ready so a DCC 'smell' chip can be added for the pine smell as they pass :-D

the rake i converted from Heljan cargoflats one of the wagons actually had ‘logs’ from chirk yard added, loads made from twigs picked up from the yard!

83D848D7-3434-4BC1-A7A8-138AF7D35471.jpg

ive cheated with the rest and bought some Hornby log loads for them

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

How many Pine Bonsai trees are going to be felled to fill the timber wagons. Could wipe out the worlds supply, shame as I can't think of any other way to get real timber at OO scale. :)

Suspect these will be very popular although not my era. 

On 01/08/2019 at 19:17, flapland said:

How many Pine Bonsai trees are going to be felled to fill the timber wagons. Could wipe out the worlds supply, shame as I can't think of any other way to get real timber at OO scale. :)

Prunings from shrubs look fine. I recommend fuschia ones in particular, as they've got fairly smooth bark.

• Like 1

Ive used Budlea, once it’s gone over the stems become very dry and woody and chop up easily. These worked well on a couple of OTA’s I loaded with them. 

I agree Ben the moulded loads just don’t look right I sold the Bachmann ones for £1 a load just so they didn’t go to waste.

thanks

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Goodwood Scenics do some very nice “logs”

ive loaded quite a few OTA’s with them

1B812C2D-B063-4CD2-99AE-48777559A03D.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Perhaps not on clay traffic, but they might have worked there on fertiliser traffic.

They definitely worked into Cornwall on fertiliser trains; the Truro working was usually around five of these wagons in its last years of operation having replaced the PWA “Palvans”. As for china clay, it’s unlikely they were used but not impossible. I can’t recall seeing one on such a working but you never know.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

They definitely worked into Cornwall on fertiliser trains; the Truro working was usually around five of these wagons in its last years of operation having replaced the PWA “Palvans”. As for china clay, it’s unlikely they were used but not impossible. I can’t recall seeing one on such a working but you never know.

For a long time, some china-clay trains had a mixture of Ferry-vans of various types in their formation,  carrying bagged china clay. BR used to send them down west to avoid sending them back empty to the Continent. Not too difficult to imagine one of these wagons mixed in with other types.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

For a long time, some china-clay trains had a mixture of Ferry-vans of various types in their formation,  carrying bagged china clay. BR used to send them down west to avoid sending them back empty to the Continent. Not too difficult to imagine one of these wagons mixed in with other types.

I agree. Plenty of other types of Cargowaggons were frequent visitors to Cornwall so it is quite possible these turned up on the china clay circuit too. Whilst a photograph would prove they were used, no photograph doesn’t necessarily mean they weren’t. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

A great choice Ben.

I am interested in the ' Cargowaggon' version.

Looking to replicate this in model form, can anyone advise if these new wagons would of been used in the same rake as the previously produced Heljan versions.

Photo's confirming this would be great. 

Thanks.

IMG_2908.JPG

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1

Of the covered wagons, which of these liveries is still in existence (or were still in existence around ten years ago)?  The first post has a photograph dated 2014, but the wagons look so dirty that it's hard to tell what the original livery was.  Obviously whichever version I decide to buy, it will need a lot of weathering.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

Of the covered wagons, which of these liveries is still in existence (or were still in existence around ten years ago)?  The first post has a photograph dated 2014, but the wagons look so dirty that it's hard to tell what the original livery was.  Obviously whichever version I decide to buy, it will need a lot of weathering.

Hi David,

In the last ten years the vans have been primarily associated with aluminium traffic between Neuss, in Germany, and Ditton/Warrington in NW England, conveying aluminium (ingots or coil I think) in each direction.

One of the headcodes for these trains is 6O16, and a quick photo search suggests that these wagons carry a very dirty Cargowaggon livery.

https://images.app.goo.gl/68tfcVYuSNB2yvPt9

83804741158-5_b_Sfins_IWA_Rugby_6O16_46455_11022014

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the 'Cargowaggon' ones have ever received a clean, let alone a new livery; I don't know what happened to the Norsk-Hydro liveried ones. The only changes I can think of that have been made are the style of the 'OHL' warnings, and the painted ownership details. As regards 'weathering'; I think these vans have taken over the mantle of the SR parcels-vans of BR days.. I have seen a few cleaned four-wheel twins recently, but they're the exception,not the rule.

There are quite a lot of photos here:-

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IWA-bogie-cargowaggons/

They are mixed in with the earlier types. There are two oddities:-

The first wagon to be built, where the recessed panels started about a third of the way up the sides.

Another wagon, which I only saw once, had a three-piece hood, with the centre section slightly taller than the outer ones.

There are views of both , taken by me, on Martyn's site.

In the days of the train-ferry, and the early days of the Channel Tunnel, it was common to see the 'Hold-all' wagons mixed with both  other bogie and four-wheeled vans, and other wagons, on the two or three wagon-load services to and from Kent.

Nowadays their only workings through the Tunnel are as part of the 'Aluminium Train', along with 'Euro-Twin' flats carrying swap-bodies.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for those details.  I had not realised that 000-0 was the only variant with that body style.  And I hadn't even spotted the three-piece hood on 161-9!

cheers

Ben A.

The first I spotted on a train from Somain, as it  approached Frethun - I was having my lunch in the car and saw it approaching. Presumably, the production wagons were changed to save weight.

The other was stabled behind the highest bit of wall at Dover Town yard, and that long shot from the beach was the best I could manage, as the wall there was taller than I was.

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2019 at 16:17, Ben A said:

Hello all,

In my opinion mounded timber loads rarely look convincing, and would probably add £3-5 to the cost of each wagon, so we are supplying the models unloaded only..

cheers

Ben A.

Here's some OO timber wagons loaded with real twigs on our club layout. The owner spent ages finding the twigs to do this but the effect is so good I can understand that you would not want to try with mouldings of wood piles. Not sure I'll have the patience to do this with the N gauge versions when they come out though!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, davepallant said:

Here's some OO timber wagons loaded with real twigs on our club layout. The owner spent ages finding the twigs to do this but the effect is so good I can understand that you would not want to try with mouldings of wood piles. Not sure I'll have the patience to do this with the N gauge versions when they come out though!

In a similar vein, I spent a long afternoon cutting lengths of large twigs for a G gauge log wagon, using the real thing does look a lot more convincing than attempts at model logs.

• Like 1