Hydro hold-alls and Touax timber 2-for-1 from RevolutioN (OO - IWA Wagon)

surfsup

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

I have Hornby R9287 and two sets on order will I be able to run them together?

Jon

Or to put it another way who cares what you have and how many you have bought.... 

I hope not. I don't want these to be troublesome

• Funny 1

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Exactly. But if it is simply a coincidence they are on there then it's a strange one!

The one that went on at £245 BIN is now £199.99

I know one of them isnt!  Not me though, my friend is selling one of them that he bought when first released.

I've ordered 2 packs of the cargowaggon liveried ones and all 4 Log Wagon packs. I have my Colas 56 all ready and waiting.

The first picture is from a visit to Salisbury which is one from my collection I'm loading up on the Prototype section and the other 3 are from video footage that I've taken screen shots from as I was unable to load the video due to format issues.

salisbury 10.png

20130903141639(1).jpg

20130903141639(2).jpg

20130903141639(3).jpg

• Like 2

Nice photo of the 47.  Any idea of the number?  Also looks like another freight Class 47 in the Background.

Would be interested in knowing a little more about the flows to the South West - Truro and Barnstaple Branch.

Best Regards,

C.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Have ordered all IWA Timber Wagon Packs and just wanted to know what would be the best length timber loads to purchase to fill up the wagons.

Goodwood Scenics haved an excellent range of ready made and to fit timber loads but there are 3 different lengths at 40mm, 64mm & 128mm thus what would be the perfect load length to fill up the new IWA's.

Your assistance & advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi All,

Have ordered all IWA Timber Wagon Packs and just wanted to know what would be the best length timber loads to purchase to fill up the wagons.

Goodwood Scenics haved an excellent range of ready made and to fit timber loads but there are 3 different lengths at 40mm, 64mm & 128mm thus what would be the perfect load length to fill up the new IWA's.

Your assistance & advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

I did a little number-cruching. According to TOUAX's web-site, the wagons have an internal length of 19.5 m. the photos in SLG's posting suggest 5 stacks per wagon, meaning each stack is about 3.900m long. If you're modelling in 4mm, this is equivalent to 51mm, which doesn't seem to tie in exactly to any of Goodwood's range. Bear in mind, however that timber lengths might vary according to origin.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I did a little number-cruching. According to TOUAX's web-site, the wagons have an internal length of 19.5 m. the photos in SLG's posting suggest 5 stacks per wagon, meaning each stack is about 3.900m long. If you're modelling in 4mm, this is equivalent to 51mm, which doesn't seem to tie in exactly to any of Goodwood's range. Bear in mind, however that timber lengths might vary according to origin.

Thanks for that.

Yeah I'll do more research on available photo's as the timber cut length's may or may not vary depending where they are being loaded/sourced but based on your calculations the Goodwood loads can be suitable from 64mm or 128mm but requiring cutting to properly fit in the wagon or mimic a prototypical rake.

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Thanks for that.

Yeah I'll do more research on available photo's as the timber cut length's may or may not vary depending where they are being loaded/sourced but based on your calculations the Goodwood loads can be suitable from 64mm or 128mm but requiring cutting to properly fit in the wagon or mimic a prototypical rake.

Here's the link to the appropriate wagon on TOUAX's site:-

http://www.touaxrail.com/content/ukrfnoos 

Click on the pdf for a drawing.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Interesting question.

A Flickr search of Exeter-Chirk workings shows that 5- and 6-stack loadings are the most common.  It is also clear that between each stack and at each end there is usually a gap of around a foot, though on occasion they are almost touching or up to 3’ apart, so there is considerable leeway.

This image, admittedly taken at Carlisle and not of a SW train, shows the variation in gaps with the centre logs almost touching and a large gap at either end.

370334A7-3B5E-4001-A0AD-DA879720BB5D.jpeg.02da37ca883a151f06988564fbb98d4f.jpeg

The internal dimension of the model in 00 is 256mm, so averaging at 4mm between each stack and at each end suggests that for 5 piles an average load would have logs of 46mm if in 5 stacks, and 38mm for 6 stacks.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
Added image
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi there,

Interesting question.

A Flickr search of Exeter-Chirk workings shows that 5- and 6-stack loadings are the most common.  It is also clear that between each stack and at each end there is usually a gap of around a foot, though on occasion they are almost touching or up to 3’ apart, so there is considerable leeway.

The internal dimension of the model in 00 is 256mm, so averaging at 4mm between each stack and at each end suggests that for 5 piles an average load would have logs of 46mm if in 5 stacks, and 38mm for 6 stacks.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Yes I had seen on Flickr Colas Class 70's haul 6 stack wagons thus the 40mm packs from Goodwood Scenics should do the trick with a a bit of shaving off if required.

Now need to order a fairly large pack, will require 48 individual packs for my 8 wagons but will really look the part once all put together in the future.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello folks

I've just been pulling together some sample consist diagrams for both versions of the IWA holdall vans and timber carriers which you can find on our website here:

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/iwa-sfins-2-holdall-vans-and-rfnoos-timber-carriers/

Hopefully useful to some people! I still need to finish the route map which will come next.

Cheers Mike

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, red death said:

Hello folks

I've just been pulling together some sample consist diagrams for both versions of the IWA holdall vans and timber carriers which you can find on our website here:

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/iwa-sfins-2-holdall-vans-and-rfnoos-timber-carriers/

Hopefully useful to some people! I still need to finish the route map which will come next.

Cheers Mike

Don’t forget the Truro fertiliser traffic used the IWAs too. How about this for a consist:

Dawlish

Photo by Paul Townsend on Flickr

There’s another picture on Flickr of the Truro empties with just 3 IWAs (but only one loco :D)

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I have an order for 2x log carrier twin packs.  What's the best way to increase that please?

Mick I would have to say that ordering more might be the best way.

• Funny 5

13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I have an order for 2x log carrier twin packs.  What's the best way to increase that please?

I think you have to create a new order and unfortunately pay postage again. I asked this question to Revolution a while back when I had 2 packs on order and wanted to add another and that was the answer I got. Oddly enough I now have 4 packs in 3 separate orders.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Mick I would have to say that ordering more might be the best way.

We'll have to discuss down at the pub on Friday.................... :drinks:

• Like 2

On 01/12/2020 at 17:10, Ben A said:

Hello all,

If anyone wants to see the decorated samples, we will be showing them during a Facebook Live this evening at 1930 but don't worry if you miss it, images will appear on our website soon afterwards.

cheers

Ben A.

I had a quick look at your site this morning at the samples and they look superb. Nearly a year since we got the chance to order them, the two Holdalls I've ordered will certainly complement the freight stock for Aberdeen Kirkhill. One will be very shiny, the other definitely not. Just like the image below:

Photo by Dave Jolly

Edited by Flood
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, red death said:

If anyone wants to order more then please place a new order (and as per our FAQs we’ll combine the orders and refund additional postage when we send them out). 

cheers Mike

Sounds good. Its almost as if you want to us increase our orders.

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Whilst searching for trains to run on Rannoch I discovered the IWA’s had run up the West Highland Line for a period in 1988. LL 37’s on the Mossend to Corpach speedlink workings. I even found a shot of two passing at Crianlarich. As far as I can tell it looks like they were used for paper mill traffic. 

Given how popular the line is I thought this might be interesting to others and with the order deadline at the end of December a nice excuse for a Christmas treat!

cheers

Mark

37406_tyndrum_bd6_19880523

37406_bridgeoforchy3_19880523

37406_tyndrum_19880523

37401_tyndrum_bd5_19880523

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1