To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

What's on your S Scale Workbench?

ScottW

Foollowing our zoom meeting earlier in the week I thought I would share some photos of the Manning Wardle old I class etches and prints.....lots more to do but some progress.

manning1.JPG

manning2.JPG

manning3.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing on with some unfinished wagons:

Here is one of the mineral wagons that I was building in my last post.

10.jpg.d93e1762c2114ae38b753710f57f4173.jpg

And here are two North British Railway open wagons that were started back on page 3 of this thread.

2.jpg.0775b22199a8c0e73c1fce2f96e034a0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been messing around with the Manning Wardle for a while now, trying to get something finished for our October meeting.  The latest set of etches should be back with me next week.  The 3D prints are starting to take shape.   These are still basic forms with no rivets or special detail.  Adding detail is relatively easy, getting the motor to fit nicely in a small boiler has been more of a challenge. The etches will include the fabric to make the boiler and smokebox etc but for now the 3D printing for now is quicker and easier to get the basics worked out.  Anyway here are a few photos of the body parts with painted chassis and wheels..

manwar0.JPG

manwar1.JPG

manwar2_3887.JPG

manwar3.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

More progress on the manning wardle i class......still very rough artwork.  Now at a point where i will pause for breath and refresh the artwork to a higher standard,  Hopefully will add the brakes tonight.  Lots of errors - headstocks too low, axles a little low in the chassis, lots of detail missing but these are things that will be fixed in the next version of the artwork.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It is a high level LoLoader- i am not sure it will support 0 gauge axles...high level will support up to 3mm axles.   I am driving the rear axle but i may change this to drive the centre axle using one of high level drive extenders....i may also make the firebox a little longer by 0.5mm as the worm wheel is right up against the inside face......i would rather sacrifice a little bit of accuracy for a more consistant performance.

......btw to others reading this post and interested in this loco - take a look at jbd82 posts on the MW he is building......it is a very good thread - some superb artwork and model making.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timber said:

It is a high level LoLoader- i am not sure it will support 0 gauge axles...high level will support up to 3mm axles.   I am driving the rear axle but i may change this to drive the centre axle using one of high level drive extenders....i may also make the firebox a little longer by 0.5mm as the worm wheel is right up against the inside face......i would rather sacrifice a little bit of accuracy for a more consistant performance.

......btw to others reading this post and interested in this loco - take a look at jbd82 posts on the MW he is building......it is a very good thread - some superb artwork and model making.

Yeah, I realised about the O gauge axels.....once I'd bought one! I'd got a Hump Shunter, as I am mounting the motor vertically in the firebox. It's about the right size, so I'm looking into if it's possible to modify the HighLevel box, or whether I just make my own from scratch. 

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I have spent an enjoyable few hours yesterday and today building the S Scale Society 7-plank RCH private owner wagon, which given its the first real kit with any brass in it that I have built, I am quite please with how its come together.  However, I have hit a snag with attaching the brake fret.  Its gone together reasonably well...

IMG_0027.jpeg.21f12fc3faa619b5ea80258d918f161f.jpeg

But when it is put against the wagon, the fret is too long to fit between the wheels.  Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong please?  I have just realised when it put it on a piece of 0.8 wire to take this shots on the phone, I have put it on back to front, so I know it should be the other way around.

IMG_0028.jpeg.6e54cb6a747e7145927bcfcc9ce7bef7.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg.e94cf43afa7d661cf721d70f3340cf40.jpeg

Rich

• Like 4

@MarshLane If you turn the brakegear round the right way is it a better fit? I've not built the kit but from your pictures it appears that the right hand end of the brakegear is closer to it's respective wheel than the left hand end.

I also believe that the brakegear was designed around the Gibson WW1 wagon wheel which is smaller in diameter, and actually undersize, than that of the Slater wheels you are using.

This problem has been raised previously:

Hope this is of some help.

Scott

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ScottW said:

@MarshLane If you turn the brakegear round the right way is it a better fit? I've not built the kit but from your pictures it appears that the right hand end of the brakegear is closer to it's respective wheel than the left hand end.

I also believe that the brakegear was designed around the Gibson WW1 wagon wheel which is smaller in diameter, and actually undersize, than that of the Slater wheels you are using.

This problem has been raised previously:

Hope this is of some help.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

No I did try it both ways just to check, but because the pivot (wire) point is dead centre in the length of the brake fret, it doesn't make any difference to the length unfortunately.

I'll go have a look at that thread, I've missed that. EDIT: Ah I am using Slaters wheels that could explain it, given the earlier comments on that other thread. I may have to look at getting an etch done to work with slaters wheels.  Creating my own etched wagon was a future option, so might have to bring it forward!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Updated background

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick update to my previous post, I have spoken with the Sales Officer, who has confirmed that the brake shoes should fit, indeed they did on his model with Slaters wheels!

However, I have managed to damage mine through constant slight bending and trying to make them fit, so have decided to have a little etch done for the brake blocks, so that they are the correct length for Slaters wheels.  Hopefully that will be here in a couple of weeks, and I can get on with building the other two wagons I have got too!  May even get a small pre-grouping layout put together!  

Rich

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still progressing with the wagons .... first there was one, then two and now three!  Paul, the S Scale Sales Officer, has had a chat with David Provan and Jim Guthrie who designed the etch, who confirmed there was a problem and had re-designed the etch some time ago.  It looks like the ones I have are those that were produced before the redesign, so I have acquired some sets of the white metal cast brake shoes to complete these.  Still detailing bits to go on and working through thoughts on how to paint / decal them, but its progressing!

IMG_0471.JPG.29532fff03e2f4d9654ce10d17dd6d39.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG.2d6cd9ae361d51c7c76a3178b9d0be17.JPG

Please excuse the mess in the background of the image! Overall, I am quite pleased. They are the first proper kits I have put together with any form of brass content and soldering, and are remarkably free running.  Spin the wheels on them and it cannot be far off perpetual motion, they keep spinning for so long!

Now working on an initial etch design for a powered chassis - again having never done anything like this, the first will be a proving ground, VERY basic etch frames, two or three pairs of wheels, High Level Kits gearbox and motor, and prove I can do it and that it works and operates ok.  Then strip it down, reuse the various parts with new frames to actually build an engine. All good fun :)

Richie

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Paul, the S Scale Sales Officer, has had a chat with David Provan and Jim Guthrie who designed the etch, who confirmed there was a problem and had re-designed the etch some time ago.

Just to clarify,  Dave designed the underframe.  I was the Parts Officer at the time. :-)

Jim.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, flubrush said:

Just to clarify,  Dave designed the underframe.  I was the Parts Officer at the time. :-)

Jim.

Apologies Jim, I assumed it was a joint project! Lovely kit to build, and full marks to David Provan for the under frame design.

Richie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Apologies Jim, I assumed it was a joint project! Lovely kit to build, and full marks to David Provan for the under frame design.

Richie

Dave also had all the discussions with Parkside Dundas who produced the plastic body.

Jim.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 13:49, MarshLane said:

Still progressing with the wagons .... first there was one, then two and now three!  Paul, the S Scale Sales Officer, has had a chat with David Provan and Jim Guthrie who designed the etch, who confirmed there was a problem and had re-designed the etch some time ago.  It looks like the ones I have are those that were produced before the redesign, so I have acquired some sets of the white metal cast brake shoes to complete these.  Still detailing bits to go on and working through thoughts on how to paint / decal them, but its progressing!

IMG_0471.JPG.29532fff03e2f4d9654ce10d17dd6d39.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG.2d6cd9ae361d51c7c76a3178b9d0be17.JPG

Please excuse the mess in the background of the image! Overall, I am quite pleased. They are the first proper kits I have put together with any form of brass content and soldering, and are remarkably free running.  Spin the wheels on them and it cannot be far off perpetual motion, they keep spinning for so long!

Now working on an initial etch design for a powered chassis - again having never done anything like this, the first will be a proving ground, VERY basic etch frames, two or three pairs of wheels, High Level Kits gearbox and motor, and prove I can do it and that it works and operates ok.  Then strip it down, reuse the various parts with new frames to actually build an engine. All good fun :)

Richie

Looking good Richard!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been slow going over the last few months but I've finally managed to get my latest batch of wagons built, ready for the paintshop:

01.jpg.2bda6812e30bc86f39b741510b44d200.jpg

17.jpg.6e1f0d7170af41f9fc2e80535357b20d.jpg

03.jpg.9d64b8e05ae7de75c3045875b0a0910a.jpg

11.jpg.23bd7bafc7416e1072032d3c7a1f63d4.jpg

The brake gear, on all three wagons, was made-up using components from the Bill Bedford S Scale HR Single Shoe Brake Gear etch. Springs are castings from the S Scale Society whilst the whitemetel axle boxes are 4mm castings from MJT & 51L Models.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 months later...