Ex GW Loco's on the S&D

• RMweb Gold

Dad's spotting logs show several panniers at Templecombe in 1963-4. The only pannier he records at Highbridge is 3758 on a train to Evercreech Junction on 20.9.1962.

3720 is recorded at TC on 13.8.63, 4.9.63 & 13.4.64

4634 on 4.9.63, 13.4.64, 16.4.64 and at Evercreech Junction on 13.8.63

4691 on 18.5.63

4631 on 16.4.64

What were their duties if they weren't on Highbridge services? Of course they may have come there when Dad wasn't around. He had his parish duties and didn't spend all his time lurking around the station!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add to this, what about GWR Loco's on the S&D prior to nationalisation?

Outside framed 4-4-0's were used on Weston to Bournemouth excursions on the 1930's, travelling via Highbridge & Evercreech Junction.  I suspect that they would not fit on the Bath Extension (!?!)

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Outside framed 4-4-0's were used on Weston to Bournemouth excursions on the 1930's, travelling via Highbridge & Evercreech Junction.  I suspect that they would not fit on the Bath Extension (!?!)

That must have been an interesting manoeuvre - running into the B&E down platform - backing a long excursion train across the up line and round via a single slip onto the Burnham line and back across the two B&E lines and off through the S&D station. Coming back would have had the extra manoeuvre of crossing from the B&E down to the up. Are there any photos of these trains on the S&D?

Edited by phil_sutters
Adding the question at the end.

1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

That must have been an interesting manoeuvre - running into the B&E down platform - backing a long excursion train across the up line and round via a single slip onto the Burnham line and back across the two B&E lines and off through the S&D station. Coming back would have had the extra manoeuvre of crossing from the B&E down to the up. Are there any photos of these trains on the S&D?

I have seen a photo - I cant sadly remember where

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...