York Show 2020

Guest Lyonesse

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Coronavirus yet.  By the time of the York show, we should be in full panic mode, with events of over 1000 people banned, as the Swiss have already done.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Lyonesse said:

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Coronavirus yet.  By the time of the York show, we should be in full panic mode, with events of over 1000 people banned, as the Swiss have already done.

Possibility because there is nothing useful to say, unless you want to start a panic of course and have something new to moan about. Everyone else can wait for facts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest Lyonesse
15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Possibility because there is nothing useful to say, unless you want to start a panic of course and have something new to moan about. Everyone else can wait for facts.

The time to start a panic is when the show is actually running,  The only fact to note now is that visitor footfall may well be down, if people choose to stay away from large gatherings, or even that the show might be cancelled.

Just sayin'...

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Lyonesse said:

The time to start a panic is when the show is actually running,  The only fact to note now is that visitor footfall may well be down, if people choose to stay away from large gatherings, or even that the show might be cancelled.

Just sayin'...

If we get to that position I suggest we will have more to concern us than a train show..at the moment I plan to be there and possibly for two days.

Edited by Gilbert

It could be that all high level football matches get cancelled so there are no actual champions this season, it could be that all travel to or from various towns in the UK is banned, it could be that coronavirus is actually less of a problem than flu. At the moment nobody knows so there isn't much point in speculation. I'm off to Portugal for a holiday - it might go wrong but probably won't. I plan to go to York - this plan may be overtaken by events but probably wont. You can't put everything on hold because there is a possibility of a problem. 

I think Hills of the North and Wickwar between them will make it worth the journey.

• Like 1

Guest Lyonesse

Right now, I too plan to go.  There are layouts I want to see and traders I want to buy from.  But events are moving fast and a lot could happen in the next six weeks.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Lyonesse said:

Just sayin

Yeah, well; don't bother 'saying'.

Doing so prematurely is just disruptive, potentially injurious and someone then has to spend valuable time responding (unnecessarily at this stage).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Yeah, well; don't bother 'saying'.

Doing so prematurely is just disruptive, potentially injurious and someone then has to spend valuable time responding (unnecessarily at this stage).

I would have thought that Phil Parker's comment was enough.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

But it didn't stop him 'just sayin' did it?

So I can have my say too thank you.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

It obviously wasn't .

Personally, I'm getting sick of seeing Coronavirus shoved into exhibition topics by people who want to pummel us with bad news. Exhibition organisers have a hard enough job putting on a show as well as worrying about external factors such as named storms and public safety without someone on a forum spreading doom and gloom. It's not like we can't all see the news after all. Someone trying to get a gloat about reduced attendance in in advance or generally spread doom and despondency is the last thing they need.

40 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I plan to go to York - this plan may be overtaken by events but probably wont. You can't put everything on hold because there is a possibility of a problem.

So do I. And Leamington next weekend and Ally Pally the week after. If things change then they change but only when they are changed officially and not because it would please someone on-line to see an event, and the people organising it, crash and burn.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Stable door and horse bolting. It seems as though the algorithms have already paired up exhibitions and public health worries.

virus.jpg.695e7155d532f4e66a8e20d11d161afc.jpg

Though it's a long while since I was involved in organising the York Show I know many of those currently involved and I've no doubt that this issue is already on their radar. They're a sensible and cautious group who can be trusted to respond to whatever official advice given. Agility and flexibility will be built into their planning.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Guest Lyonesse
40 minutes ago, Neil said:

Stable door and horse bolting. It seems as though the algorithms have already paired up exhibitions and public health worries.

virus.jpg.695e7155d532f4e66a8e20d11d161afc.jpg

Though it's a long while since I was involved in organising the York Show I know many of those currently involved and I've no doubt that this issue is already on their radar. They're a sensible and cautious group who can be trusted to respond to whatever official advice given. Agility and flexibility will be built into their planning.

Neil:  I can assure you I am flesh and blood and not an algorithm.  But then you are probably referring to the advert in the screenshot.  The algos are either searching your Google history or else spotting keywords in RMWeb.  Incidentally, I have adverts for new kitchens/bathrooms and "comfy leather shoes".

I seem to have touched a few raw nerves and I apologise for that.  I have a view about the likelihood of large public gatherings running unscathed in about a month's time and other RMWeb users will be intelligent enough to be able to form their own views.  It seems that further discussion is banned so it just remains for me to say good luck to the organisers, and I still hope to see you at the show on Saturday the 11th.

3 hours ago, Lyonesse said:

Right now, I too plan to go.  There are layouts I want to see and traders I want to buy from.  But events are moving fast and a lot could happen in the next six weeks.

4 hours ago, Lyonesse said:

Speaking as one heavily involved in the York show the comments are at best flippant and at worst completely counter productive. Please see the previous comments from Phil, Andy Y, Neil......

Or maybe you are offering your assistance in future?

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It obviously wasn't .

Personally, I'm getting sick of seeing Coronavirus shoved into exhibition topics by people who want to pummel us with bad news. Exhibition organisers have a hard enough job putting on a show as well as worrying about external factors such as named storms and public safety without someone on a forum spreading doom and gloom. It's not like we can't all see the news after all. Someone trying to get a gloat about reduced attendance in in advance or generally spread doom and despondency is the last thing they need.

So do I. And Leamington next weekend and Ally Pally the week after. If things change then they change but only when they are changed officially and not because it would please someone on-line to see an event, and the people organising it, crash and burn.

My diary is pretty well full at the weekends too, not to mention the weekly visits to Tesco! 

Like you I don't understand why people are talking about you know what on here but I do think it would help not to feed the troll.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

..... Like you I don't understand why people are talking about you know what on here but I do think it would help not to feed the troll.

I can understand why it's come to the fore, we don't know much about it, there's a lack of coherent advice from our government and there are moves from other countries to ban large indoor gatherings. Also as railway enthusiasts we tend to like the i's dotted and t's crossed a bit more than other groupings so it doesn't surprise me that some would seek reassurance. We should be sympathetic and show understanding to those who have concerns. However the York show is six weeks away and much will happen between now and then, rendering specific reassurance pointless beyond noting that the organising team will respond properly to any official advice or directive in a sensible, cautious and careful way.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil said:

I can understand why it's come to the fore, we don't know much about it, there's a lack of coherent advice from our government...

This isn't from the Government although there is much the same on the NHS website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51674696

I think it gives all I need to know right now.

There seems to be plenty of sensible advice. We know that cold, flu and Corona virus survives for a period on surfaces . I think flu virus survives around 24 hours. The best way to pick up this virus is to touch and infected surface and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth . Advice is to keep 3ft away from other people and wash your hands properly with hot water and soap regularly. This sounds simple enough and it should help to reduce colds and flu so it is worth doing.

It's worth bleeping an eye on advice from sensible sources but it's not worth worrying about one thing that might not happen. I kind of expect that a year or two from now Corona will be just another virus that you can catch and  one you can get a jab for to stop catching it; it will be as newsworthy as flu.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

All being well this will be the second visit to the Show since Mike Cook passed on. (Having been involved with Mike and the show for about 30 years) The show looks to be a good one which Mike would have enjoyed. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung

Baz's passing has been mentioned in some other places but thanks for bringing it to the fore here. We have managed to "shoehorn" his partly completed layout 'Micor Horio' into the Show line up as a tribute to Baz. Not sure if it will be working but we will all, at least, be able to admire his artistic modelling skills as a memorium over the Easter weekend.

Mal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Lyonesse
On 29/02/2020 at 20:24, peterl said:

Yep; we are watching. But with a UK population of 60+ million and 23 cases. ????

Peter

A week later and there are nine times as many cases (207).  Still not many, of course.  But you do the maths and predict how many cases there will be in a few weeks time.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Lyonesse said:

A week later and there are nine times as many cases (207).  Still not many, of course.  But you do the maths and predict how many cases there will be in a few weeks time.

I am sure the organisers are mindful of it and monitoring it - it's hardly likely to have passed them by so the post looks like you want to stir fear rather than you having any genuine query.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Lionesses please get a grip! Talking to real life doctors the current virus is like a bad flu year. 

Problem is...people are trying to induce panic. ... just make sure you wash your hands..unlike a few weeks people I have seen in Britain on my own return from the Antipodes  today.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Talking to real life doctors the current virus is like a bad flu year. 

Problem is...people are trying to induce panic. .

I get my slant on the news from my 9 year old grandson. His opinion is that the situation in the UK is being over-hyped by people running the country to distract us from other problems of their own creation. We should act sensibly, wash our hands and get on with life. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1