York Show 2020

13 hours ago, Dubloseven said:

Which only goes to prove that railway modelling is such an absorbing pastime that one could lose sight of what's happening in the wider world.

Cliff.

Either that or someone's been living under a stone for the past few weeks..... 

• Agree 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, BigMal said:

I could scarcely believe my ears this morning when I received a phone call asking if the Show was still going ahead. :mad_mini:

Mal

He's been too busy going out buying bog rolls, taking trips to the seaside, having family parties and riding the Underground to keep up with the news.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 6

17 hours ago, BigMal said:

I could scarcely believe my ears this morning when I received a phone call asking if the Show was still going ahead. :mad_mini:

Mal

They walk amongst us... 

Scary, isn't it?

Mark

• Agree 2

I've been to the York show a few times over the years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sad to hear you have had to cancel this years show. Given the current situation it is the right decision. I know how much work goes into running a small show and how disappointed the organisers will be just now. 

Let's look forward to york 2021 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, BigMal said:

Mal

Doesn't surprise me I'm afraid to say.

After 42 years on the railway, I'm convinced there's those that would still expect service as normal the day after WW3

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, darrel said:

I've been to the York show a few times over the years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sad to hear you have had to cancel this years show. Given the current situation it is the right decision. I know how much work goes into running a small show and how disappointed the organisers will be just now. 

Let's look forward to york 2021 

That's the spirit!!:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

In the virtual world I am loading the SLS stand into the car today ready for a run up to York tomorrow morning.  Was to have been a friend’s wedding on Saturday and then a few days doing bits and pieces for Mum leading into the show set up etc next week. Sadly all cancelled, the wedding got brought forward but on a much more limited scale.

Just a thought - on Friday next week could those on here who would have brought a stand post a picture of it at about the time they would have arrived to start their set up?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Not an exhibitor but we'd be just getting ready for out trip north. Funnily enough I've just emailed our Hotel to wish them well and promising a future visit.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Camel Quay is/ was already for York Exhibition after its visit to Model Rail Scotland.

Now of course it’s  stored and wont on its way to York this Friday or Derby early In May.

All been well I hope to be invited back in 2021 to the above exhibitions with Camel Quay when things hopefully are back to normal.

Missing  all my railway modeller friends, layouts owners and operators, traders and exhibition teams.

Keep safe all of you.

Terry 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/04/2020 at 11:06, john new said:

Just a thought - on Friday next week could those on here who would have brought a stand post a picture of it at about the time they would have arrived to start their set up?

Excellent idea, I shall post a picture or two of Foxcote.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Firstly a reminder - this is the virtual show we have, sadly, had to cancel the real one. (Photo below is from the 2016 Show)

And so Day 1 of the virtual show has begun. The first members of the Show prep' team, had it been happening for real, would about now be arriving at the empty Knavesmire Stand ready to unload the van and start setting up the rest room, show office, and then measuring up and setting out the floor, tables, cloths and the myriad other things to be done before the exhibitors arrive.

Of course things would have been well on the go already, as with any show a significant volume of work happens before we all reach the venue. The large van carrying the show essentials, hired, loaded with all the notices, stewards tabards, tea urns etc., etc, and would have been driven over from Hull. All the tabards washed and ironed some time since the last show. Other team members would have driven to York, a day or so earlier due to distance, more cars will also have been loaded not just the one big van. Essential cakes will have been baked; just a shame that the fantastic offerings that will be in the exhibitors rest room is one thing we can't share virtually. 

Tomorrow will see the stands and layouts begin to arrive.

We will open in the virtual world on Saturday morning.

Updated Nov 2022 - Images were lost from this post. As this thread is long dead NONE of my images posted in to it will be reloaded.

Edited by john new
Typos.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

First time in over 20 years that I will not be spending the Easter weekend in York, although I realise some of our regular exhibitors / traders /visitors have a much longer pedigree than mine.

Couldn't find a pic of my "office" (probably just as well as it's usually organised chaos!) so here is one of the front entrance to the Knavesmire stand.

Mal

Knavesmire.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We normally do the bulk of the long drive from the south west on the thursday - the roads down here on a normal bank holiday are best avoided! We stop overnight within an hour of York - last year it was near Wakefield - so that we can get up to the racecourse and get setup in good time. 

Mal usually puts us up on the top floor which means taking the layout up in the lift but has definite perks with our own balcony seat. With the layout or demo set up, its off to book in to the hotel then down for a walk around the wall and a liquid lunch. If its an early Easter you get the daffs but usually its the beautiful blossom on the bank overlooking the station. Some years you get both :-)

Layout pictures tomorrow when the virtual show opens.

Jerry

313067333_IMG_1967(2).JPG.9f3169b59114923a6b136f246655c856.JPG

20190421_113201.jpg.18923916f8593d47bfefbefc9b87aafe.jpg

IMG_1971.JPG.f1d0d3a62fa844c9b0bebbc15e19c104.JPG

20190419_135257.jpg.5e416f07f7d5bf28bf18793bd4845672.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, queensquare said:

We normally do the bulk of the long drive from the south west on the thursday - the roads down here on a normal bank holiday are best avoided! We stop overnight within an hour of York - last year it was near Wakefield - so that we can get up to the racecourse and get setup in good time. 

Mal usually puts us up on the top floor which means taking the layout up in the lift but has definite perks with our own balcony seat. With the layout or demo set up, its off to book in to the hotel then down for a walk around the wall and a liquid lunch. If its an early Easter you get the daffs but usually its the beautiful blossom on the bank overlooking the station. Some years you get both :-)

Layout pictures tomorrow when the virtual show opens.

Jerry

313067333_IMG_1967(2).JPG.9f3169b59114923a6b136f246655c856.JPG

20190421_113201.jpg.18923916f8593d47bfefbefc9b87aafe.jpg

IMG_1971.JPG.f1d0d3a62fa844c9b0bebbc15e19c104.JPG

20190419_135257.jpg.5e416f07f7d5bf28bf18793bd4845672.jpg

Hopefully you will be able to fit in a Buckingham session as part of the non trip north!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well I would have been just setting of to York  (09:00) with my layout Camel Quay.

It seems very strange this morning not going to York for my annual visit either operating a club layout or one of my own layouts or just a visitor.

First photograph of Camel Quay (which hopefully will make it in 2021)

The other photographs taken at last year’s exhibition,  coffee on the balcony on the Sunday morning, the smashing hotel we stayed at over Easter and a picture of my then layout Chebstone.

It was nice over the weekend that Roger Nichols who originally built the layout ( Ashfordley) came over, and at the same time Paul Lunn author of many books and model railway magazine article on track plans.

Chebstone (was originally called Ashfordley) was based on a track plan called Meeth fron one of Paul Lunn books.

All for now, and keep safe everybody 

Terry 

7A6ECEDA-6D81-4A4B-9D1F-594A150F25E5.jpeg

17DC5A02-087C-4251-827A-36C9054970B6.jpeg

EB769059-6462-4463-A36B-D677E2806CB3.jpeg

1342DBC4-EB9F-4208-8395-D198B6CDDC71.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A reminder - this is the virtual show we have, sadly, had to cancel the real one. 

Day 2 of set up - having unloaded the SLS stand yesterday morning I will build it this morning. The barriers will be arriving from Warley Club later today, as will the boxes of programmes. Still plenty of setting up to do by the show team as well as the exhibitors. The hardest work is that of the car park team.

If you would have bought at the show please order from our traders.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2