York Show 2020

Hopefully, by now, the place would be marked out &, and John, Ian W and myself would have been able to put the following instrument together with the chalk and marking tape back in their boxes

1304198457_tapemeasuretoo.jpg.6d672c676bf2a809b3efc41df36e250e.jpg 

Anyhow, after a cuppa, off to assist any arriving stands, layouts etc. as necessary, and hopefully grab a few moments in between tasks to set up the Hull MRS stand, in the virtual show that is!!

Looking forward to doing the above jobs for real in 2021

A safe and happy Easter to all 

Ken

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Hopefully you will be able to fit in a Buckingham session as part of the non trip north!

Absolutely Tony, one of these visits was on our way up to York, the other was from a weekend with the much missed Roy J. Kim still reminds of the scalping I had from the barber in Grantham - she wont let me go for a haircut on my own anymore!!

IMG_4018.JPG.437df31a0b23e27eb0ca8abdcc3c05a1.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG.648034a4c70ec2de095de383e851872e.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG.6946560314319eed735c378a7168bdc7.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG.f2aa21243052ac5e7aab494ef33f02f9.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Absolutely Tony, one of these visits was on our way up to York, the other was from a weekend with the much missed Roy J. Kim still reminds of the scalping I had from the barber in Grantham - she wont let me go for a haircut on my own anymore!!

IMG_4018.JPG.437df31a0b23e27eb0ca8abdcc3c05a1.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG.648034a4c70ec2de095de383e851872e.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG.6946560314319eed735c378a7168bdc7.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG.f2aa21243052ac5e7aab494ef33f02f9.JPG

Happy days. My only problem is that it makes me realise just how untidy and full of junk/stuff the shed is now. You can't see half that much floor now!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

About now Rupert would also be returning with one of the Show's Friday traditions. This quote and image are from one of our tweets about the 2018 Show - "Big thanks to Bartons fish n chips in #York getting lunch ready for us to pick up. Sorry to the customers who were waiting while we picked up 40 portions of grub!"

DZiKZAsXkAA4PJR?format=jpg&name=medium

(Original photographer unknown.)

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3

LOCOMOTION MODELS - our virtual diorama

For the first time in 15 years I am not on my way up the M1 and along the A64 to York on Good Friday. Arrival time is about now so we would after a well deserved cuppa have been about to set up. We will miss the usual banter with fellow exhibitors and traders as well talking to the many visitors about the National Collection in Miniature.

In the meantime the diorama produced for us by Peter Marriott (of Model Rail) below would have been an integral part of our stand and used to demonstrate our growing range of models from the National Collection.

Our museums at York and Shildon are currently closed for obvious reasons and our mail order and on-line operations have been temporarily suspended as we cannot get to the stock or the payment processes to send out any orders.

Hopefully we can all be at York next Easter and that we will be allowed out to get to Alexandra Palace in August, GETS in October and Warley in November with the Locomotion Models stand. 

I can only imagine how deflated Mal and his team feel right now. Hopefully you can roll it all over to next year - at least much of the planning will be done for then.

In the meantime enjoy our virtual presence on this thread.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

IMG_0422.JPG

It's about now that I'd be thinking about making the arduous trek (all of 2 miles!) across York to set up the 2mm Scale Association stand this afternoon. No photos because I've never thought to take any previously!

Anyone who was intending to stop for a chat over the course of the weekend and maybe join the Association or spend some money, please visit our website at www.2mm.org.uk - we are still able to sign-up new members (although payment by Paypal or credit card would be very much preferred) and you can still buy a selection of the booklets and the taster wagon kits that would have been available on our stand at the show.

I think this will probably be the first time in over 25 years that I won't have spent at least one day at the show as a visitor or exhibitor. Best wishes and thanks to all involved in the exhibition - sorry your efforts were in vain this year but here's to another excellent exhibition in 2021.

Andy

PS> Thank you John for the reminder about Barton's fish and chips. I've just found out that they are open again (telephone orders and collection/deliveries only) having temporarily closed on 23rd March. Excellent news!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In this virtual world the SLS stand has been completed during the day, and the Information Stand and step stools all ready to go in the morning. Gareth has numbered the programme boxes also ready for opening up tomorrow. Many of our layouts and traders are now on site and have either set up, or are setting up. The barriers are also pretty much now in place too.

For tonight a family get together at the Rose & Crown, Sutton-on-the-Forest.

(NB Photos and described events are all from previous shows - we are not actually open this year)

Updated Nov 2022 - Images were lost from this post. As this thread is long dead NONE of my images posted in to it will be reloaded.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

Monday is usually the quietest day with Saturday being the busiest. So usually, to miss the crowds don't go on the Saturday. Afternoons also tend to be less crowded as well but that does restrict your time to get around the 3,000 sq. M of the Show across three floors and the two mezzanines. Advance tickets can be used on any one day of the Show and will be available to purchase from October. Provided we are out of the lockdown!

Hope that helps

Peter

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The show usually has busy days and not so busy days. Is anybody able to predict the best day to not go to avoid the crowds best?

2021, and Monday or afternoons are best as Peter L has posted! In particular avoid tomorrow morning, it will be virtually rammed!

Edited by john new

York has been an annual high point amongst shows for me for over four decades now, the first time in 1977 and have since missed six, only one of those since 1990. It seems very odd that I’m not ill at Easter (thankfully) yet not going to York.

Its usually an expensive trip, the only thing I thought it would cost me this time was the cheapest part any way (Admission), and even then, that’ll keep til next year, but I started on my ‘virtual’ shopping list to keep me amused for an hour or so.

And then I read the post about buying anyway....

The orders aren’t placed yet, after all the show doesn’t open til tomorrow, but this shopping bill looks very real.

Now, what was that about buying only essential items....

• Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 15:42, Ken.W said:

Doesn't surprise me I'm afraid to say.

After 42 years on the railway, I'm convinced there's those that would still expect service as normal the day after WW3

Quite.

I remember sitting in our Southampton newsroom the morning after the great storm of 1987 which, among other damage, blew the senders off the IofW transmitter mast. Between directing broadcasts I was helping to field endless calls from viewers demanding to know why their tele. was off. When I politely explained why  and that the engineers were working on it but it may take some time, several people demanded to know why we hadn't done it yet and why were they paying for their TV licence etc. I wonder if those same people are now social distancing ?

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Day 2 of set up now coming to an end with most of the expected traders and layouts on-site we are tannoying that the doors will be closed tonight at 20:30 and reopen for last minute set up etc tomorrow morning at 07:30 for exhibitors and 9:45 for advance ticket holders. 

Just reminder for any punters that have missed all the news announcements, or think it doesn't apply to them* - in the real world we are closed all weekend.

* There is bound to be at least one!

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

As in the past, I will travel down on Monday morning and stop off on the way for a cooked breakfast.  
The full works.

Any ideas how I might do this virtually?

1 hour ago, john new said:

Day 2 of set up now coming to an end with most of the expected traders and layouts on-site we are tannoying that the doors will be closed tonight at 20:30 and reopen for last minute set up etc tomorrow morning at 07:30 for exhibitors and 9:45 for advance ticket holders. 

We are in the Virtual Pub by now,having had a bite to eat!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peterl said:

.....Advance tickets can be used on any one day of the Show and will be available to purchase from October. Provided we are out of the lockdown!

Hope that helps

Peter

I already have mine!

• RMweb Gold

After a nice early breakfast and very pleasant stroll to the venue in the glorious spring sunshine we are ready to go. The first passenger train of the day rolls past the colliery followed by a Bagnall, up from Radstock, pushing some empties into the exchange sidings.

We'll be there for real in 2021. Happy Easter everyone.

Jerry and Kim

39.jpg.ffb7da03951dcb716a3511393c21e68c.jpg

15.jpg.92c1b4991015eb5b3c0b53b085082a92.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Jerry and Kim

I saw your hotel for the night on Facebook, hope you weren't wandering round in the night looking for the en-suite. 

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

About this time too, we would be having the Stewards Briefing, after rounding up any stragglers of course!

Speak up Martin!

• Like 1