Westbury chocker with wagons on google maps

18B

Hi,

just looking at Google maps,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2644649,-2.2031762,173m/data=!3m1!1e3

is Westbury always this chocker with wagons and locos? looks very busy?

Also out of interest why was the diesel depot there built in two parts with a gap in the middle? sure I read somewhere it had something to do with DMUs and them being spaced to allow work on their engines?

Also does anything stable there nowadays? as there certainly looks a fair few locos and units there in that view? but they can be from a fair few years ago...?  

35 minutes ago, 18B said:

is Westbury always this chocker with wagons and locos? looks very busy?

Chocker at weekends and bank holidays yes but during the week the stock would be out earning cash.  If the yards were a lot emptier then I would say that Westbury and the surrounding area is busy.

14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Is that the image or the copyright date

This has the date 2019 and is 3-4 years old at least:

Google maps always uses the current year for copyright purposes regardless of when the image was taken.

There used to be a facility in Google Earth that allowed you to view images taken in the past just by moving a slider at the top of the screen.  I don't currently have GE so not sure if the facility is still available.

Probably the weekend as the car park is relatively empty.

That is correct on the date - maps have the current copyright date, while street view has the image capture date.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Derekl said:

The date says it is the "Map data date" - that date is usually correct for the maps around this area.

The one for Brum that I posted and says "Map data © 2019" is actually about August 2015

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The 'diesel depot' (sic) was built in two parts in order to work on DMU power cars (still pretty awful but better than being in the open).  It wasn't ever intended to do anything more than fuel & Inspection work on locos and in any case the number of locos intended to use it would have been very few indeed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

If you zoom in on aerial picture of Westbury in the bottom right hand corner it says "Imagery copyright symbol 2019, Map data copyright symbol 2019.

Gordon A

Yes.

What are you trying to infer?

Google Maps doen't give an image date

Google Earth does.

The two images of Westbury IMHO are the same and Google Earth dates it as 20/5/2018

34 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The 'diesel depot' (sic) was built in two parts in order to work on DMU power cars (still pretty awful but better than being in the open).  It wasn't ever intended to do anything more than fuel & Inspection work on locos and in any case the number of locos intended to use it would have been very few indeed.

never seen any pics of DMUs on there however? only locos of which there were half a dozen or more on shed at some times....

• RMweb Gold

To answer the question...

Westbury always this chocker with wagons and locos? looks very busy?

Used to spend summer holidays with grandparents as a kid in Westbury and visited the station a few days a week.

All my life its looked like this at a weekend, when it comes to wagons. Sometimes the lines of wagons stretched right through the station on the through line next to p1, and right around the corner.

Though the shed used to be full of locos at a weekend... 20-30 diesels, guarenteed to include 56031 and 47901, until the 59’s arrived..then it was dead, then demolished. Only occasionally saw a 59 on Westbury shed.

ive never seen a DMU (except a departmental one) on Westbury shed in BR days.. 1980-1990 period... getting round the shed was easy as a kid, indeed on a Sunday morning it was unmanned, no barriers / gates stopping you going in.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can confirm it's definitely summer 2018 as the Balfour Beatty concrete train is in the down yard, stabled on 'Middle 1'. And before anyone asks, middle 1 and middle 2 are between 7 and 8 down.  Obviously :lol:

Confirm it's also a weekend by the traffic stabled, loaded Mendip sets, loco(s) in the cripple sidings and lots of trains marshalled ready to go out for weekend engineering. Probably a Saturday due to the amount of engineering traffic present. A Sunday may well be quite empty, waiting for the trains to return.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

To answer the question...

Used to spend summer holidays with grandparents as a kid in Westbury and visited the station a few days a week.

All my life its looked like this at a weekend, when it comes to wagons. Sometimes the lines of wagons stretched right through the station on the through line next to p1, and right around the corner.

Though the shed used to be full of locos at a weekend... 20-30 diesels, guarenteed to include 56031 and 47901, until the 59’s arrived..then it was dead, then demolished. Only occasionally saw a 59 on Westbury shed.

ive never seen a DMU (except a departmental one) on Westbury shed in BR days.. 1980-1990 period... getting round the shed was easy as a kid, indeed on a Sunday morning it was unmanned, no barriers / gates stopping you going in.

Bloomin' kids wandering all over the place collecting engine numbers!   We did of course have one DMU (an SPC = 'bubble car') stabling overnight until the Bridport branch was closed.

Mr Yeoman went to considerable trouble to keep his Class 59s on his own property having built a shed to house them although both his, and ARC's, arrived after my time at Westbury althoughI did have a bit to do with them in my WR HQ days including various test runs - both successful and failure!

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2019 at 10:38, The Stationmaster said:

Bloomin' kids wandering all over the place collecting engine numbers!   We did of course have one DMU (an SPC = 'bubble car') stabling overnight until the Bridport branch was closed.

Mr Yeoman went to considerable trouble to keep his Class 59s on his own property having built a shed to house them although both his, and ARC's, arrived after my time at Westbury althoughI did have a bit to do with them in my WR HQ days including various test runs - both successful and failure!

You didnt by any chance have the job of being the solo person onsite, at the building on saturday did you ? (i learnt not to show up during match of the day)

Sunday am there was no one there, but saturday mornings / early afternoon there was a guy who would let me in (outside football), and open the cab on a few to have a look inside, (Summer 1982/85 period), I bribed him, (well actually he bribed me) by offering to goto the chippy on my bike once... it was a good deal as the chippy was back past the station.

I’d show up solo or with my Dad (usually the weekend he dropped me off or picked me up a few weeks later, at the grandparents in summer)... i’d be around 8-15 years old during then !

i didnt have a camera then, by the time I did, it was nearly all over at WY, but heres a couple from around 1986/89

Scottish Inverness Highland Stag 47 on Westbury.

59002 on shed... a trip to depot followed this pic.. only 1 of a handful of times I recalled a 59 on depot, only time Ive cabbed a 59... note how empty the depot has become.

33119 + 4TC

50034 Furious

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

I searched on Flickr for 'Westbury DMU'. the 500 results include a couple with heritage DMUs in the depot,

one by Stephen Dowle in 1974, the other by Kebab Eater undated.

Through the 1970s and 1980s there have always been one or two early morning Warminster/Frome/Westbury to Bristol commuter services worked by DMU, which I assume spent the night at Westbury, but no-one takes photos at night...

Also in my experience DMUs were more likely to be stabled in the sidings between the depot and the yard.  

cheers

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You didnt by any chance have the job of being the solo person onsite, at the building on saturday did you ? (i learnt not to show up during match of the day)

Sunday am there was no one there, but saturday mornings / early afternoon there was a guy who would let me in (outside football), and open the cab on a few to have a look inside, (Summer 1982/85 period), I bribed him, (well actually he bribed me) by offering to goto the chippy on my bike once... it was a good deal as the chippy was back past the station.

I’d show up solo or with my Dad (usually the weekend he dropped me off or picked me up a few weeks later, at the grandparents in summer)... i’d be around 8-15 years old during then !

i didnt have a camera then, by the time I did, it was nearly all over at WY, but heres a couple from around 1986/89

I left Westbury at the end of 1978 (having spent most of that year at Taunton as Area Manager looking after the job until it was cut out)  and at Westbury I was based in the Admin block opposite the station.  But I was about one Saturday in four and roamed here and there as necessary or as my wont took me depending very much on what was going on around the patch - which extended from Bradford- On-Avon to Maiden Newton (plus the branches) on the GW side and from Dinton to Axminster on the L&SW side.

These days overnight there's probably 4 or 5 units stabled at Westbury. Some in the holding sidings, some in the station. They shuffle them through the night, as they are cleaned in the platform. Once one is done, off to the sidings, with one from the sidings to take its place in the platform.

For people that have never seen the railway by night, it is surprisingly busy

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

heres a couple from around 1986/89

C0C0483C-964D-4726-B9F9-A63817C6C8C1.jpeg

74DE18C8-2436-4DBC-B145-B85455F1943A.jpeg

Scottish Inverness Highland Stag 47 on Westbury.

13EF8FBA-5A6B-44AC-A4AF-2DC8E7F5ECBC.jpeg

59002 on shed... a trip to depot followed this pic.. only 1 of a handful of times I recalled a 59 on depot, only time Ive cabbed a 59... note how empty the depot has become.

5E3093FE-1B48-45AB-9451-949616697236.jpeg

4FAE56D3-8141-47E4-B197-B67B42C4857D.jpeg

33119 + 4TC

904066DE-67E5-4930-A5F2-4D7C1AC6A317.jpeg

55677E60-3433-4C8E-A6C8-CA4ABD9138B2.jpeg

50034 Furious

great photos, most useful

Edited by ess1uk