R3696 Old Oak Common GWR HST pack...

adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about the quality, ipad is best ive got today..

model has a glossy finish/satin finish, not matt.

The finish is excellent, with very good close up detail on printing, and even little things like the green wrapping around the corridor end has been captured.

Sold out at Hornby, i’d Not expect this to hang around too long given it’s high profile recent history

heres the real thing below...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, truffy said:

Gotta admit, I’d be tempted if I didn’t already have a FGW HST. There’s only so many HSTs a boy needs. 

Your joking right? Can never have too many HST’s lol

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

model has a glossy finish/satin finish, not matt.

The finish is excellent, with very good close up detail on printing, and even little things like the green wrapping around the corridor end has been captured.

Excellent selection of pictures – thank you for putting them all together. Everyone has his or her own opinion, of course, but I’ve always felt that this particular livery is dull. It doesn’t look to me much like the Great Western green which is supposed to have inspired it and it doesn’t have much brasswork to enliven it. In my view, it needs gloss or a fair bit of sheen to liven it up a bit and Hornby seems to have done just that. Nice!

Certainly looks nice and seeing the real thing a few times times I was considering getting one, but unfortunately can not justify spending over £400 on a 5 coach set as currently running, will have to make do with my 1980s blue & grey 8 coach set!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably the paint finish is the same as that on its previous recent incarnation R 3685 now reduced to £199 at Rails. Much food for thought now to be processed as Hornby are shortly to release their Mk 3 upgraded HST coaches.Hopefully the finish on these will match.....Decisions,decisions....2+4 is a sensible model rake for (most) layouts. So in theory,you could cost it at £325 ?  Any thoughts welcome.

Still no close coupling cam mechanism to go with the forthcoming close coupled Mk3 stock????

COME ON Hornby...

I wouldnt mind this set, having almost certainly been hauled by one or both there PCs, but not with huge corridor gap

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I am so getting this pack although I will need some Mk3's to match it though. Thanks for the photos mate! ;).

Then your wishes will soon come true.Look on Hattons website for details.New tooling due in the autumn.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Still no close coupling cam mechanism to go with the forthcoming close coupled Mk3 stock????

COME ON Hornby...

I wouldnt mind this set, having almost certainly been hauled by one or both there PCs, but not with huge corridor gap

So it’s not an nem socket still then ? Shame about that.Have to bodge a close coupling somehow then. Your cri de couer is so appropriate.Must be ten years since I had the conversation with SK about that.There was a declaration of intent to do the right thing.The nation still holds it breath.Not exactly a “close run thing”  is it ?

28 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Then your wishes will soon come true.Look on Hattons website for details.New tooling due in the autumn.

Just had a good Ian and I am so excited already because I have always wanted to have a GWR HST in my collection and I will be adding a Kato driver into the cab as well by carefully sliding out the cab floor with the chairs on and then add the driver and put it all back together. I will be buying some extra Mk3 SD's to repaint into the Iarnrod Eireann livery with a Mk3 DVT to match as that will also take care of my Murphy Models 201 class model at the same time ;).

I will do a running session video on my channel I promise :).

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/07/2019 at 18:45, Ian Hargrave said:

So it’s not an nem socket still then ? Shame about that.Have to bodge a close coupling somehow then. Your cri de couer is so appropriate.Must be ten years since I had the conversation with SK about that.There was a declaration of intent to do the right thing.The nation still holds it breath.Not exactly a “close run thing”  is it ?

I mean its an NEM mounted far too low, with no close coupling cam that is required for gangway face-to-face operations. I guess you could get half way there with a close-coupled Mk3, but don't know how you'd deal with the NEM height difference.

They have close couplings on locos that don't need them (esp the Class 50!) but not on those that do

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just received one of these from a Little Dan. Not my era but never mind that. Am hugely impressed by finish,performance etc. Now for the four new release Mark 3’s in the autumn. 

I find the dark green current GWR livery stylish and tasteful.Hornby’s gloss is a good rendering.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just received one of these from a Little Dan. Not my era but never mind that. Am hugely impressed by finish,performance etc. Now for the four new release Mark 3’s in the autumn. 

I find the dark green current GWR livery stylish and tasteful.Hornby’s gloss is a good rendering.

Nice one Ian,

When I get mine. I shall be adding a Kato driver into the cab and I may add Legomanbiffo sound as well as his MTU sounds are pretty good in my opinion. Should be interesting to see the new Mk3 SD carriages once they are released :). Just out of interest Ian, will you be getting the model of 60081 in the EWS/GWR livery? For some oddball reason that one would fit in amongst the GWR trains due to its Brunswick Green livery ;). Shame the real one is in a right state rotting away at Toton since it failed in 2004 but that is the way things are and nothing lasts forever.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

will you be getting the model of 60081 in the EWS/GWR livery?

Are they releasing a new one? As far as I knew they were all sold out and now go for ridiculous prices on eBay 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Are they releasing a new one? As far as I knew they were all sold out and now go for ridiculous prices on eBay 

I wouldn't rule it out but highly unlikely and yes they do now fetch silly money on eBay. Probably better to get one resprayed and save some money. 

Anyway best we should not go too far off topic as I don't want to get roasted! ;). As for this HST and with the new Mk3 SD's coming out. I can legally have a short HST on my twin oval of track with the new Mk3's which to be honest. I am looking forward to it :).

• Funny 1