petejones

) l

2 hours ago, petejones said:

Would I need to turn the loco to do the return journey?

Nah, just run round. I know there's no run round loop in your plan, but on a small roundy it's not too objectionable to "cheat" by sending the loco right round the circuit to get to the other end of the train. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, although if I were building this I think I'd put in a loop anyway, to allow two trains to run and pass each other - instead of the crossover by the signal box I'd use a left hand point to form the last section of the main line curve, with the straight arm going on to the siding. I'd do the same at the other end with a right hand point. Might mean cutting a section of track to the right length for the siding though. That way a goods train could pass a passenger train, and the entrance to the loop or sidings would avoid a left-right-left reverse curve too, which would look and run better.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, petejones said:

How about this? It's a slightly wider board as I think I can salvage another 40cm baseboard, increasing the size to 200cm x 120cm:

v.2.1.jpg

Very much the "classic" 6 x 4, if we ignore Freezer's/Triang's/Hornby's super compressed main line schemes. Allows all the operation it's reasonable to expect from a small through station and isn't too obviously crowded. As others have said, the loco shed is stretching a point, but if you've already got one, why not? You can always add interest to shunting by positioning, and subsequently removing, a wagon of loco coal on the shed road. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking, although if you already have normal points then you should be able to re-use those rather than expensive new curved ones.  Just a thought on the goods shed, I would expect that the track would normally come out the other end, even just an inch or two, to allow space for a buffer stop.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads-up on the goods shed.

I'm probably entering the realms of scope creep now, but better now than later! However, I've replaced the longer straight sections with code 100 flexitrack. It's only four lengths. It makes the sidings look a bit better.

v.3.0.jpg

• Like 2

Do you think I can get away with a distant signal, lower left? As the model is obviously compressed a great deal, I thought it would be OK.

Incidentally, that's a platelayers hut just across the rails, lower left.

v.3.5.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Coming along. sir.  The distant needs to be as far back from the turnout entering the loop from that direction as you can without it 'impinging' on the exit from the main station if it is to be a separate distant; I'd put it closer to the halt.  We will assume that the halt has no signal box and the siding is accessed by a ground frame in the section, released by the key on the section token or staff.

You need more signals than you are showing, one starter in the clockwise direction.  Keeping to clockwise running for the moment, you need a splitting home protecting the facing curved point into the loop, and another starter protecting the exit from it (this cannot be cleared unless the turnout to the erstwhile loco shed siding is set for the main line.   You need a similar arrangement for the counter-clockwise working, with perhaps another distant out past the level crossing.  A similar home needs to be provided at the left end of the loop, only pulled off when the road is set for the anti clockwise main.  The loco siding and the goods yard can be accessed by passing these signals at danger since the signals do not apply to those routings, but exiting those sidings onto the loop, which is a running line and not a siding, requires trap points and a ground disc signal to protect it.

You need a trap, operated by the ground frame, for the halt siding as well, but signals are not needed here.  Movements are controlled by the train's guard with handsignals.

The distants, on a single track branch with a passing loop, ideally need to be 'fixed', incapable of being pulled off, as the trains have to stop or at least slow down at the station anyway to exchange tokens with the signalman.  But this is a 'test' layout and you will want through running, which means that no exchange of tokens takes place, the box is switched out, and the road set for the main (platform) when such working is in progress.  In this scenario, the homes and starters relating to the main in both direction are left set to clear, off, and the trains just run through unless they are booked to stop, the section now being from the (non existent and imagined) next open box in rear through to the next open box in advance until the intermediate box(es) switch back in.  

You can learn an enormous amount about traditional railway work even from a very simple layout like this!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's the idea, but the one alongside the goods shed that protects the turnout entering the loop from that direction needs to a 'splitter'; two arms alongside each other with the lower arm applying to the minor route, left in this case.  This is the Home Signal in this direction.  You need the same arrangement to control anti-clockwise traffic, and in this case the splitting home could be positioned on the outside of the curve for sighting purposes.

To save room and preserve the geometry, you could use single slips to operate as trap points protecting the loop from the sidings.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

No, not quite; maea culpa for not explaining properly!  For the home signals you need splitting bracketed signals, or junction signals.   Ratio numbers 468 or 469.   These are fiddly so and so’s to build, but I’ve done one even with my sausage fingers.  I’m going to replace with Dapol working when it’s available, though! 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

Ah, thanks. I do hope Dapol make them eventually as I would like to use theirs. I ordered one each of their GWR Home and Distants to see how I get on with them.

Edit: Available in August, expensive though!

Edited by petejones

• RMweb Gold

You’ll need one with the lower arm to the left for the clockwise home and a lower arm to the right for the widdershins.  At that price it’s just as well you only need two, but I reckon it’s worth it!

• Thanks 1

Far be it from me to disagree with someone with extensive real railway experience, but I'm pretty sure I've seen reference to splitting signals with the arms arranged over and under on a single post, as illustrated, rather than the generally accepted bracket arrangement. Maybe a regional or era specific thing? Or me misremembering a possibly non-authoritative reference? 

• RMweb Gold

Junction signals on permissive block lines were indeed arranged with arms on the same post, to be read top to bottom left to right.  But Pete's layout cannot possibly be permissive block as this can only be used for freight only lines subject to a 15mph speed limit; Pete has a passenger station and a halt so his railway carries passengers,  therefore absolute block is in place and the junction signals have two posts on a bracket, the higher indicating the primary route.

3 hours ago, petejones said:

Yeah I'd like to get the signalling correct. Not sure how I will fit the trap points in at the moment. Will ponder over the next day or so.

Simplest way to arrange trap points is to use a single slip for the goods yard exit, replacing the point between the two sidings.  The other siding needs a proper Peco trap point.   You could have one at the goods yard end as well, but it will move the point inside the yard to the left by about 4 inches and lose space.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/07/2019 at 02:43, petejones said:

How about this? It's a slightly wider board as I think I can salvage another 40cm baseboard, increasing the size to 200cm x 120cm:

v.2.1.jpg

I've not caught up with this topic for the past few days but it's coming along nicely and I think the loop (or double ended siding) will improve operating possibilities. I'm not sure what you gain by widening the board apart from the ability to use your level crossing. That could in any case be located to the right of the halt which is possibly a more natural location for it (a level crossing with a crossing keeper's cottage and an adjoining halt could make a very pleasant scenic vignette)  You'll probably need to conceal part of both 180 degree curves in any case so the bit of straight track each side won't change that much.

I take the point of using that extra width to modify the shape of the oval but, against that, a wider board will be more unwieldly

The only other suggestion I'd make is to place the halt platform on the siding side of the track . That would avoid having it right on the edge of the board. 

It occurs to me looking at this that there'd be nothing to stop you operating the layout, when the mood takes you, as a terrminus with the running line acting as the fiddle yard - there's no rule that says fiddle yards have to be bare bones. In that case the halt siding becomes a handy loco release*. I'm not saying that would be the best way to operate this, simply that, with a bit of lateral thinking,  you can get a lot of operation out of even the simplest layout. 

Looking at the suggested signalling; if the loop is a passing loop would it be normal for there to be only one platform and if the  loop is therefore only used by goods traffic  would it need trap points at all? Surely the passenger line would be protected by the pointwork and a goods only line doesn't need to be protected. 

* The U shaped 2ft gauge Great Bush Railway (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bush_Railway ) operates in just this way. The main terminus has a run round loop but at the other end there's just a short siding so train comes in, other loco leaves the siding, backs on to the train and takes it out after which the first loco shunts into the siding and waits for the next train. There is also a passing loop allowing two trains to operate but that's not relevant to this.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Thanks 1