petejones

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You've put a headshunt in and traffic can now be shunted between the mileage and cattle roads without fouling other operations, but not between those roads and the Goods Shed road, which sort of negates half of it's purpose.

How important is it to stay clear of the running line when it's just a branch line? When I was researching Diss in Norfolk, they used to shunt onto the running line and that's an express route into London. At Crymmych Arms, the headshunt (not sure if it is a headshunt as the plan in Railways of Pembrokeshire states it has a wagon capacity of 5) is only accessible from the one mileage siding, not the one adjacent to the goods shed. Another plan in the same book, Letterson, doesn't have a headshunt at all, just a short length of track between the running line and the sidings. Boncath originally had a couple of headshunts, but they were removed in the 1940s.

• Agree 1

I managed to construct the baseboard frame on Sunday - it took a few hours, but it's very sturdy and lightweight (I can pick it up with one hand). There may be a little more weight added as I need to add a ply bed for the river and I may need to add some cross-struts on which to fix the point motors, but it will still be light. In the third pic, you can see a couple of the craftfoam panels dropped into place. As I ended up making the frame slightly wider than originally planned (it's 130cm rather than 120cm), I will need to add thin lengths of craftfoam down the one edge or perhaps down the centre between the panels. I will fix these onto the frame using decorators caulk from Wickes as it seems to work well and is only £1 a tube.

The total cost for this baseboard so far is £71.21 ( I even included the cost of all 76 screws!).

2019.08.12-01.jpg

2019.08.12-02.jpg

2019.08.12-03.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to leave fiddling with the track plan for now and crack on with the baseboard, work out the wiring runs so I can drill some holes in the struts (or more likely carve out some channels in the tops of the struts so I can thread wiring through below the foam panels). However, below is the latest plan.

1. I finally realised what The Johnster meant about protecting the goods siding with a signal, so added that in (No.3 signal on the plan). I think this is called an advanced signal?
  2. I'm happy for the weighbridge to be at the entrance to the yard as it was like this at Diss and Henllan.
  3. I want to add a station house (or maybe half a station house) to the right of the lower platform as a lot of the stations along the Cardi Bach had one.
  4. I will try and source a smaller goods shed (or possibly scratch build or kit bash one).

v.4.28.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2019 at 00:32, petejones said:

How important is it to stay clear of the running line when it's just a branch line? When I was researching Diss in Norfolk, they used to shunt onto the running line and that's an express route into London. At Crymmych Arms, the headshunt (not sure if it is a headshunt as the plan in Railways of Pembrokeshire states it has a wagon capacity of 5) is only accessible from the one mileage siding, not the one adjacent to the goods shed. Another plan in the same book, Letterson, doesn't have a headshunt at all, just a short length of track between the running line and the sidings. Boncath originally had a couple of headshunts, but they were removed in the 1940s.

Depends on the timetable.  If you can book a space on the running line for your pickup to shunt then fine; Diss may be on a main line but it's not the busiest!

On a single track branch with passing stations like this, blocking the main line entails blocking the section; the signalman cannot release a train into the section from the station or accept one from the next box.  it is very easy on such a line for delays to escalate in both directions.  One thinks of traffic as being light and the scene as bucolic, but this is because such a line has low capacity, and actually many were worked at a good percentage of this capacity.  At a passing station, nothing much happens for ages and then there's a flurry of intense activity as trains arrive in rapid succession from both directions, set off together, and the silence descends again.

• Thanks 1

No further progress on the baseboard this week, but I did some more model making/kit bashing and also had an idea for the track plan. I managed to join the goods siding back onto the main line on the right, then followed a couple of suggestions to do with the mileage sidings/cattle dock/weighbridge. For now, I removed the private siding.

On making the changes to the track plan, I figured I need an advanced starter beyond the points on the right, just after the crossing?

v.5.2.jpg

for what is a simple testing layout I am amazed how foamed up  people are being with regards to prototypical operations.

surely all you need is a basic oval and maybe a siding for programming?  no flim flam just a board with the set track.  its now getting on for a full on layout topic build unless the design brief goalposts have changed mid-thread?  weve now got signals platforms bridges buildings cranes etc.   seems more like a nice little full on layout to me.  fine if that's now what the brief is. 

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

seems more like a nice little full on layout to me.  fine if that's now what the brief is. 

I should probably start a new thread for this layout now, but yeah you're right in that the scope of the original soon went out of the window! I guess I was after some help in creating an interesting layout on a rectangular board as that's all I can fit in my room. I'm also here to learn about the prototype as well as how to build a layout. I've tried a few times before but failed for various reasons. Changing to OO has certainly helped as I found N to be too fiddly for my needs.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• petejones changed the title to Simple OO Gauge Test Layout