Storing models and transfer to layout

Morning all,

I am slowly getting to the point of starting to build a new N gauge layout, the first in years. Because if space it is going to have to be portable, which means all the trains will need to be removed when it’s dismantled.

I don’t want to be putting locos, carriages and wagons into individual boxes every time, I want to minimise the handling. Plus keeping wagons and coaches in fixed rakes, possibly up to seven or nine coaches if possible. I am guessing fixed half-sets would be another option. 

I am assuming this is a similar problem to that faced by exhibition layouts, so how do people do it? I mean both storing when the railway isn’t running and moving them to the layout without handling or damage? Any thoughts/pics of what has been done would be welcomed.

Richie

• RMweb Gold

For N gauge stock, and for a mainly home-based layout, you could consider square section cable conduit to keep your rakes in.

If you roll the train out of the conduit onto a 2mm wagon railer then the process of adding stock to the layout should be easy.

Reverse the process to remove the stock.

• Thanks 1

While it wouldn't work for your needs, I use specially made foam inserts in the A3 Really Useful storage boxes.  Screenshots here but he's a really busy guy these days.

I tried cutting my own foam but that didn't work for me.  Either I bought the wrong foam or my technique for cutting was rubbish.  The JB Models versions are pro made.  If I had the dosh, I'd buy a whole load more to future-proof me.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have seen at a show,  individual "cassettes" that is a U of ply with track running down it, and a hinged bar each end that dropped down to stop things sliding out.  you drove the train on, with the far end bar in place, dropped the near end bar. lifted it up, swapped it round, and replaced the cassette to drive back the other way.

For transport elsewhere a 4th piece of ply with foam bonded on was dropped into place over the cassette, the top piece had foamed ply ends that stopped trains escaping, and the bars swung back over the top to hold the top on and provide handles .. very clever it was...

I'm thinking of using this myself.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

While it wouldn't work for your needs, I use specially made foam inserts in the A3 Really Useful storage boxes.

I use foamboard faced with self-adhesive foam sheet.  Dead easy to cut to the required sizes/shapes to make separators and packing pieces to fit inside appropriately sized really useful boxes.  I buy all the stuff - including the RUBs - at my local Hobbycraft, though I'm sure some diligent shopping around online would uncover lower-cost sources.  Maybe not quite as protective a shaped foam inserts but so far they've done the job I require of them, which is primarily to provide a safe home for my stock when it's not on the layout.  (I don't tend to leave stock on the layout between operating sessions - partly because it lives in the spare bedroom which the missus also uses for drying and ironing the laundry.  Plus, of course, we use it for guests.)

If I ever get round to cassette-ising my fiddle yard I'll probably adopt something akin to the system outlined by TheQ. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The JB inserts are widely available on eBay still. He does exhibitions, but is cash only, which has prevented me giving him loads of money!

In similar vein I've got a couple of self-contained boxes from Avocations like this one which seem good, you get 5 inserts like this:

48322459752_8b043437b6_z.jpgUntitled by njee20, on Flickr

48322459787_84b53c92e0_z.jpgUntitled by njee20, on Flickr

It won't help you with semi-permanently coupled rakes, but IMO they're a bit of a anyway, they just get a bit unwieldy both on and off the layout. I find these more versatile than the JB ones as they just have loads of self adhesive foam squares, so you can customise the slot lengths. They do some which have slots cut and then have self adhesive bits (which I use), or you can get totally customisable ones. The pairs of ATW mk3s are coupled using bar couplers, and as you can see they fit really nicely. You can stand stuff on its wheels (like the 66 with the Megafrets) or on its side. The case itself is cardboard and whilst it seems quite tough I'm not sure I'd want to (for example) carry it in and out of lots of exhibitions in the pouring rain. That's definitely a plus for Really Useful Boxes.

My concern with using conduit or similar to store entire rakes is what you then do once they're removed from the layout. You can fit covers to the conduit, but unless they're pretty tight stuff is liable to slop around and get damaged.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My stock, albeit 00 gauge is stored in simple "cassettes" which can be lifted and placed on shelving.

Coaches and freight wagons use a 36" length of track on a wooden 9mm timber with Pasticard sides. (a bit Heath Robinson but it functions well; there are many other ways to construct these)

Locomotives reside on 12" lengths using the same principle with the addition of an LED indicator and bare 2.5mm copper wire pick-ups on each cassette.

To use the cassette, it is placed at the end of the running lines on the lowered section of baseboard which my traverser runs across. The loco cassettes receive power via the pick up wires making contact with brass slotted head bolts set in the lowered section of baseboard. In the absence of a turntable, the cassettes are also useful for turning engines.

Just be aware to keep the cassette level and support locomotives when raising as any tendency for the loco to move may put strain on the gearing.

Edited by Right Away
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I’ll investigate things more. The cable conduit sounds a logical idea I just wonder if it’s strong enough. Having said that it could be mounted to a piece of wood the same length I suppose. Moving them off the layout is no major issue as I have some shelves that they will sit on and I may be able to come up with something that keeps the dust out and makes them stackable too. I’ll give that some thought!

Richie

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

My concern with using conduit or similar to store entire rakes is what you then do once they're removed from the layout. You can fit covers to the conduit, but unless they're pretty tight stuff is liable to slop around and get damaged.

Yes that’s a valid point. I suspect it would need something with fold up sides that has foam to keep things in position and stop movement?

• RMweb Gold

Depends on how much handling you need to do of course.  The fact that you have limited space may work to your advantage in this sense, in that this lends itself to short trains of fewer vehicles, which of course mean less handling.  60 wagon coal trains are onerous in this respect.  

What sort of couplings are you thinking of using?  Probably the best if stock has to be picked up frequently is the Hornby-Dublo/Peco 'Simplex' type that enable a vehicle to be lifted directly upwards off the track which performs the uncoupling action, but these are not used much these days.  

My layout is fortunately permanently erected (this, and a position in the living area of the home, properly heated, dry, and ventilated, are minimum requirements for me but I appreciate that you've had to compromise in order to have a layout at all), but space limitations and timetable requirements are opposing issues which cannot be fully resolved, so some stock has to be lifted off and put on conveniently located shelves.  The autos and short passenger trains are handled, while the freight, mineral, and parcels stock is able to permanently sit in the fiddle yard.  In a perfect world, which it isn't, all the stock would be on the track all the time!

You need to develop methods of picking the stock up without damaging; coaches must be handled by the body sides away from detail, and steam locos are usually best picked up by the outside edge of the running plate with your fingers away from handrails or motion.  Some people use silk or cotton gloves, which I think is a bit OTT, but you need to have clean and dry hand, and obviously be a bit careful.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kris said:

Another vote here for JB inserts. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264372167148?ViewItem=&item=264372167148 

They work well from my experience.

Cheers Kris. Great for storage, but unfortunately they don't get me around the handling aspect.

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Whilst expensive, I use the Track Safe Travel system. First rate. 

Thanks Roy, unfortunately for the number I need it takes it outside my budget. But what a fantastic system.

17 hours ago, njee20 said:

Mill Lane Sidings do MDF ones, here, but they're very short; 3 coaches only.

Thanks. That’s something like I was thinking. It also has the advantage of keeping dust away.

17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You need to develop methods of picking the stock up without damaging; coaches must be handled by the body sides away from detail, and steam locos are usually best picked up by the outside edge of the running plate with your fingers away from handrails or motion.

Yes, this is exactly my point. I need to avoid finger marks, damage, and constant lifting on and off.

• RMweb Gold

Keep a pack of wet wipes by the operating position and give your fingers a wipe before picking up anything with a gloss or eggshell finish.  I don't like gloss finishes, which eases the problem for me, but general cleanliness is definitely next to general modelling godliness; just don't look at my workbench!

• RMweb Gold

I use KR cases - https://www.krmulticase.com/railways

They're designed for wargaming, where the players have to transport their armies to games, but they've also done sets for OO and N gauge stock. It's all modular, with different size and type cases for storing the filled trays, and their customer service was pretty good when one flightcase turned up damaged. Admittedly I only use them for storage, not having an exhibition layout, I'm not sure the cardboard cases would stand up to the rigours of exhibition use, but the hard-shell flightcases would be fine.