wye junctions

arff999

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sails said:

A wye junction, question might be better answered in the DCC forum, I'd be interested to here the answers, not something I suspect you see modelled that much.

Mark

Wye.JPG

Not many prototypes in the UK, at  least not purpose-built for turning stock. The only ones I can think of are the one at Valley, Anglesey, of fairly recent construction, and Aberystwyth shed, where one replaced the turntable.

Outside of North America, Spain was probably the biggest user, as Talgo sets had to be turned in their entirety.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

"Frog Juicer" or "Auto Reverser" - pretty much the same thing except that the Auto Reverser is specifically designed to switch the "polarity" of two rails at the same time.

If the OP is talking about Y points then the old Code 100 electrofrog Y point does indeed need to be handled differently because the point blades don't have isolators built into the rails with links underneath that can be cut. So if you want to feed the frog from an external switch you have to cut through the rails. There might be other points in the Peco electrofrog range with the same issue.

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Not many prototypes in the UK, at  least not purpose-built for turning stock. The only ones I can think of are the one at Valley, Anglesey, of fairly recent construction, and Aberystwyth shed, where one replaced the turntable.

Outside of North America, Spain was probably the biggest user, as Talgo sets had to be turned in their entirety.

Hatton:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hatton,+Warwick/@52.295217,-1.6792188,641m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870cbd2cc67c5f7:0x82fef6b111f31116!8m2!3d52.300713!4d-1.6462357

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Peterborough (GNR/LNER ) shed had a triangle instead of a turntable for turning engines.

Triangular junctions were quite common - for example on the GWR/WR main line out of Paddington there were triangular junctions at West Ealing/Hanwell,  Slough, Reading, Didcot (2), Thingley Jcn, Bristol East Depot/North Somerset Jcn and North Somerset Jcn/Temple Meads East, then another one just past Temple Meads at Bedminster.  That meant there were 5 triangular junctions - counting the two at Didcot separately - in the first 53 miles out of Paddington.  And as there are now what amounts to two separate triangular junctions at Reading there are still 5 in that distance with both. Reading and Didcot nowadays having a second triangular junction within a larger triangular junction.  

With at one time 9 triangular junctions between Paddington and Bedminster that gave almost as big an average as Paddington - Didcot with = 1 every 13 miles instead of  =1 every ten miles.

In fact overall, helped somewhat after the Grouping, the GWR had a considerable number of triangular junctions with the following immediately coming to mind - Greenford,  Bradford Jcn, Westbury,  Stoke Gifford/Filton(2),  Plymouth (3 - incl one part GWR/part SR), Newport (2 on running lines), Cardiff,  Swansea Loop, Carmarthen, Pontypool Road,  Abergavenny (joint with the LNWR/LMS),  Hereford (2 - partially joint with LMS constituents), Shrewsbury, Worcester, various in the Birmingham and Wolverhampton areas, several inherited from the South Wales grouped companies such as Carerphilly(2) and Pontypridd.   

But among all that lot there weren't very many which fit the image of a typical US wye with all three junctions pretty close together - Bradford junction came reasonably close (all three junctions controlled by one signalbox lever frame) as did the Cornwall Junction triangle at Plymouth although each junction there was worked by a separate signal box.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

In the immediate Birmingham area there are three tri-angular junctions

Soho, Perry Barr & Lifford as well as one further out at Water Orton (Sutton Park Line.)

Others around Walsall etc.

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

In the immediate Birmingham area there are three tri-angular junctions

Soho, Perry Barr & Lifford as well as one further out at Water Orton (Sutton Park Line.)

Others around Walsall etc.

I should have remembered the first two, having lived not far from one of them

Richard

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I should have remembered the first two, having lived not far from one of them

Richard

There are plenty of others but UK ones are not specifically turning wyes which are still common in the US, especially in yards.

There are still plenty of turntables as well.

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

There are plenty of others but UK ones are not specifically turning wyes which are still common in the US, especially in yards.

There are still plenty of turntables as well.

I don't think it has ever been determined exactly what the OP was asking about

Richard

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RLWP said:

I don't think it has ever been determined exactly what the OP was asking about

Richard

OP didn't reply to the clarification questions and we meantime, as usual, have gone walkabout!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But among all that lot there weren't very many which fit the image of a typical US wye with all three junctions pretty close together - Bradford junction came reasonably close (all three junctions controlled by one signalbox lever frame) as did the Cornwall Junction triangle at Plymouth although each junction there was worked by a separate signal box.

Tolcarn Junction, just outside Newquay in Cornwall, was controlled by one box. Two of the legs were running lines (the main route to Par and the secondary route to Chacewater) and the third was used mainly for loco turning - there being no turntable at Newquay itself (I know you know this, Mike - just adding to your list for the information of others).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1