wye junctions

arff999

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe there's a clue in his avatar?

According to his RMweb profile he is building a model of Lincoln Central in 00, part of which is featured in the August 2019 Railway Modeller.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

as has been described before, not specifically a 'turning' Y-junction, but east of Edinburgh Waverley there was the Abbeyhill Triangle - lines coming off the ECML heading to Leith etc. but was used for turning steam locos after the closure of Haymarket/St.Margarets sheds. Not sure when some of the lines were lifted ('80s sometime?) so cannot be used for that anymore. I think any turning would now be done using the former 'Suburban' loop?

39 minutes ago, keefer said:

... not specifically a 'turning' Y-junction, but east of Edinburgh Waverley there was the Abbeyhill Triangle - lines coming off the ECML heading to Leith etc. but was used for turning steam locos after the closure of Haymarket/St.Margarets sheds. 

Dalry Road shed did not have a turntable for a long time - at least since before WW2 (LMS Engine Sheds Vol Five) or possible before WW1 (OS 1:2500 map 1914). There was a 60 foot table at Princes Street station, but engines were usually turned on the Dalry Junction-Coltbridge Junction-Slateford Junction triangle (LMS Engine Sheds Vol Five).

• Informative/Useful 2

On 31/07/2019 at 10:05, Flying Pig said:

I'm pretty sure the OP meant triangular junctions and it's a pity they haven't returned to confirm that. 

Sorry been a little busy 

yes I did mean a triangular junction.

John 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2019 at 20:13, Trog said:

Northampton Steam shed was built in a triangle, and there was a deliberate turning triangle built at Wolverton for the Royal train.

Tondu (GWR) was built in a triangle but it was a roundhouse!

https://maps.nls.uk/view/135197407

On 06/08/2019 at 13:37, St Enodoc said:

According to his RMweb profile he is building a model of Lincoln Central in 00, part of which is featured in the August 2019 Railway Modeller.

13 hours ago, arff999 said:

Sorry been a little busy 

yes I did mean a triangular junction.

John 

This junction?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/114649047

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Shipley station was used to turn trains on occasion. Perhaps most notably the Deltic Prototype and a dynamometer car on the 1950s.

Also prior to platforms being built on the Leeds Skipton line any services between these two points had to use the other platforms and complete a reversal as part of this process.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

There's still an (accidental) triangle at Didcot but steam railtours are equally likely to use the GWS turntable in the event that they want to turn around in the vicinity.

I'm not sure the Swindon-Oxford side of the triangle is used much by trains.  Maybe freight, certainly not any scheduled passenger services.  Swindon-Oxford by train always involves a change of train and direction.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

There's still an (accidental) triangle at Didcot but steam railtours are equally likely to use the GWS turntable in the event that they want to turn around in the vicinity.

I'm not sure the Swindon-Oxford side of the triangle is used much by trains.  Maybe freight, certainly not any scheduled passenger services.  Swindon-Oxford by train always involves a change of train and direction.

There are in fact two triangles at Didcot - one inside the other, which is probably rather unusual.   Engines on steam specials used to be turned on the Chester Line triangle in the days before there was a turntable on the GWS site.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Used frequently by GW trains using Didcot Parkway and going via Oxford:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/DIDCWCJ?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

EDIT

Sorry only uses part of it. (the inside triangle's east curve)

Second Edit

Only found one train going W-N recently (6M50) and that was several days ago

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Barmouth Junction had a triangle, which ended up principally for turning engines. Saved building a larger turntable at Barmouth. Talyllyn had a triangular layout but not sure if turning engines was ever a major purpose.

• Agree 1

I see someone mentioned Tolcarne Junction earlier in the thread.

Just for complete completeness there was also a proper triangular junction at the other end of the Newquay- Chasewater line.

Edited by LBRJ
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LBRJ said:

I see someone mentioned Tolcarne Junction earlier in the thread.

Just for complete completeness there was also a proper triangular junction at the other end of the Newquay- Chasewater line.

Yes, but the two only co-existed for a very short time - around a year - before the original triangle at Tolcarn was removed.  And when the Tolcarn triangle was reinstated in 1931 it was 7 years after the Blackwater Jcn one had been removed.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 04/08/2019 at 15:40, melmerby said:

In the immediate Birmingham area there are three tri-angular junctions

Soho, Perry Barr & Lifford as well as one further out at Water Orton (Sutton Park Line.)

Others around Walsall etc.

Indeed. Walsall's Ryecroft junction split into four - L-R

The Midland route to Birchills, Willenhall etc.

The Cannock line to Bloxwich, Cannock etc

The South Staffs line to Pelsall, Brownhills and Lichfield

The Midland to Aldridge, Sutton Park and Water Orton

There was then a double track line from the Midland from Aldridge diverging towards Willenhallat Lichfield Road Jn, crossing over the South Staffs and the Cannock, then trailing in at North Walsall Jn.

There was also the triangle where, dropping down the South Staffs from Wednesbury you could either run straight on towards Pleck Jn and Walsall, or turn right at Bescot Curve Jn and head towards Bescot joining the line from Walsall, which formed the third part of the triangle.  Both of these triangles were regularly used for turning steam locos instead of using turntables at Bescot and Ryecroft sheds.    

From a model point of view my dad once built a double junction as described, for his model tram layout. He used bullhead rail on PCB sleepers also using more bullhead to represent the double-headed appearance of tramway rail. The problem he faced after he had built it was to try and wire it up, and in the end I believe one of the curves was double insulate and never used. Of course that was in the early 1980s when there wasn'rt really DCC and frog juicers !!    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking through the RCH Junction Diagrams.

There aren't many pages that don't have a triangular junction!

Some more around Brum:

Proof House-Stechford-Aston-Proof House is a Triangle

Grand Jns-St Andrews-Landor St- Grand jns is another

Hatton has a Triangular junction

Nuneaton has had 2 in the past

SVR at Bewdley split into two, one line going north to join the OWWR and another south also to the OWWR, forming a triangle

There was another on the Halesowen railway to the Canal Basin.

At Tipton connecting to the Princes End line.

etc. etc.

531102915_3-way60-800.jpg.91aed71317d2fe5788cac690e96d657d.jpg

You mean one of these?

I haven't wired this one myself yet. I think you can simplify it by picking the straight through top/bottom pair of double junctions as one circuit and just put reversers on the LH double junction section. You'll  have to decide up front if you want to allow multiple practical routes to operate simultaneously, because that will mean that you have to separate the DCC wiring for each half of the double track. Then treat them as two separate single track triangles split up in top/bottom and LH turnouts as above. I'll have to photograph the undersides in the next day or so and post those.  I've wired every frog separately, so I've hopefully allowed for every possible situation.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert
removed duplicate picture

On 10/08/2019 at 12:13, Trog said:

Northampton Steam shed was built in a triangle ...

Ayr shed was also inside a triangle formed by Newton Junction, Hawkhill Junction and Blackhouse Junction.