wye junctions

arff999

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

531102915_3-way60-800.jpg.91aed71317d2fe5788cac690e96d657d.jpg

You mean one of these?

I haven't wired this one myself yet. I think you can simplify it by picking the straight through top/bottom pair of double junctions as one circuit and just put reversers on the LH double junction section. You'll  have to decide up front if you want to allow multiple practical routes to operate simultaneously, because that will mean that you have to separate the DCC wiring for each half of the double track. Then treat them as two separate single track triangles split up in top/bottom and LH turnouts as above. I'll have to photograph the undersides in the next day or so and post those.  I've wired every frog separately, so I've hopefully allowed for every possible situation.

Andy

You need a form of interlocking (mechanical or electrical) to stop conflicts being set, of which there are several with a triangular junction.

There is a maximum of three routes that can be set simultaneously, (the three outer tracks only) any others are conflicts.

Once you have sorted  that the wiring should become a little easier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

You need a form of interlocking (mechanical or electrical) to stop conflicts being set, of which there are several with a triangular junction.

There is a maximum of three routes that can be set simultaneously, (the three outer tracks only) any others are conflicts.

Once you have sorted  that the wiring should become a little easier.

I was wrong in my too quick to post statement. There are a lot of constraints, especially around the crossing frog polarities. In the street running case, there is also the traffic lights logic to consider. That's why I'm going to be using small (fortunately also cheap) embedded computers for controlling the complicated junctions. I think If all 3 outer routes run simultaneously, then the break already shown between the straight sections is also needed. 

Of course, I also have to live that long. :(

Andy

PS do you want to see the Grand Union?

841378398_GUmilledbase1-800.jpg.64b6beb94934a46dbc1e309a67c8fe3a.jpg

Here is the roadway base for the GU without the rail fitted.  The front half has the full width street and pavement, the rear half just the track base.

1164047965_GUXingclose-600.jpg.80c79eeb6b47d4e3a7a4ecbf98cb49b4.jpg

This is a close up of the rail installed in the centre crossings. The underside is below

66426931_GUwirredunder1.jpg.ba8ebfcbdcf43087f6069ad5d9419d17.jpg

This shows the connections to the various powered frogs and running rails. The centre wiring (16 90 deg frogs) was so complicated with wires crossing that I made up a PCB to keep the wiring flat and make it easy and reliable.

489224244_GUprogress-700.jpg.912a2cabf7e814c413ed90328add0497.jpg

And finally, here is the base being test fitted into a future city block layout

Andy

I guess I should put this into a separate topic. But I'm not sure which part of the forum would be most appropriate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

I guess I should put this into a separate topic. But I'm not sure which part of the forum would be most appropriate?

If it's a road tramway, in the tramway modelling section of the forum:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/142-trams-tramway-modelling/

Quite a few European tramways have/had "Grand Unions" but a railway equivalent is hard to find.

The Chicago "L" has a threequarter one.CTA_loop_junction.jpg

There is another track, just off the bottom of the screen

tower18r-t.jpg

Edited by melmerby
better picture
  • Like 2

Just west of Bristol Parkway is a 4-way Wye, where you can get from any point of the compass (North / East / South / West) to any other point:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5155291,-2.5583017,1231m/data=!3m1!1e3

Stewart's Lane has a Wye suitable for turning, which probably gets used on specials from time to time.

Selhurst Depot contains the makings of a Wye.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

Just west of Bristol Parkway is a 4-way Wye, where you can get from any point of the compass (North / East / South / West) to any other point:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5155291,-2.5583017,1231m/data=!3m1!1e3

Stewart's Lane has a Wye suitable for turning, which probably gets used on specials from time to time.

Selhurst Depot contains the makings of a Wye.

It's not a Grand Union though, it doesn't have double track on all the cord lines.