Owenahincha Beach

Work has ground to a halt on Spingfield Monorail. I'm had a idea for a small South-west Ireland Co Cork HOn3. A more basic rather sparse set up  a simple beachside halt perhaps with a single siding. Set in Owenahincha Beach Co Cork with a fisherman cottage, simple halt a  smoke house & tea & ice cream shack. As if there was a narrow gauge line from Clonakilty to Leap via Rosscarbery & Glandore. Set in late 1950's  summer with a few holiday makers, perhaps even a young Father Jack from Father Ted & some Nuns.

IMG_2548.JPG.2d5c32a37adfff10a172efc2f5a18f22.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG.6e12b18da58cd0e1718710a37dbbb118.JPG

Edited by Angliacan
  • Like 6

Been in the spares box & found a rather ancient Airfix Thatched Cottage well 3 walls & a roof, think with some other parts will become  fisherman or crofter cottage. Keeping up the tradition of a Airfix/Dapol modified structure.  The Tea/Ice Cream structure I'm using a FOS Scale craftsman building as a guide, as i got FOS scale Building a month set so fancy making as many buildings as I can using the kits as a template of more buildings.  Got a few things on order a Woodland scenic Smokehouse to make a small Kipper smokehouse, plus some Peterpig & Sgt mess parts & figures, both 15mm & 20mm.  The corgi bus will make a railbus on a kato chassis. As I want this Cakebox to operate, I have also a shoebox which is going to become another station on the line at Glandore.

Need to lok at a few wagon not sure what route to take with them. Perhaps some TT scale wagons on a n gauge underframe, even some shapeways TT wagons. 

Waiting for the orders to come so I can plan the placement of the scene. As I said i want to keep it a lot simpler than the previous 2 Cakeboxes, as Cabbage was a very cluttered scene.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Have been collecting for this layout. Done a bit of work over last few months. So have been doing a it in small stages. This going to be a layout which can be operated even simple rather than a diorama. 

The Fishermans Cottage is complete but needs painting. The Cafe Tea's & Ice Cream is basic walls . Some of the rolling stock has come Shapeways HO NG stuff. The plan is to do a few different sized MIcro of Stations on the freelance line Owenahincha Halt been the smallest. I plan to have at least 3 locos a Kerr Stewart Steam loco, but on a Kato chassis & sideskirts. a small Railbus & Freight Van, as seen in the photo Kato chassis Corgi Ford  box van modified which can pull a single wagon. 

The most complete building so far is the Smokehouse a Woodland Scenic small whitemetal kit, along with a PeterPig 15mm shed. I know I shouldn't have really painted any of the figures, but I wanted one in the open smokehouse doorway as a bit of a view blocker.  As can be seen in the following photo. I also painted the Nun & Priest with orphans on holiday which will be on the Halt platform.

11.1_20.jpg.47ba13ef29522e10f8cb3f2c57f37c23.jpg

The next photo is mainly the Smokehouse with it workers & some fishermen. The Smokehouse worker with various boxes of smoked kippers are PeterPig 15mm figures 2 have new longer legs, seen around the smokehouse. The fisherman lifting the fishbox is a skier but without ski's & poles a fishbox is idea as he has a welly boots & a woolly hat. Also in the scene are a couple of Sgt Mess 20mm items the row boat & handcart. The Kipper box around are from a small crate pile cut about, The Woodland Scenics Smokehouse is a good small item which I bought S/H so the stove was missing I had to stratchbuild a small stove from plastic parts.

IMG_4049.jpg.abde09752a4be6ff2ece40da147c77ff.jpg

Edited by Angliacan
  • Like 2