Scotrail Inter7city Power Cars

JohnC

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2019 at 01:49, falken_gt4 said:

Just received mine, very detailed but a couple of things have left me disappointed.

• The lights are very dark so when they are not lit the lenses just look too dark and blend into the front dark blue whereas the real one has light grey inserts behind the lenses giving them some proper contrast.
  • The roof is a very shiny black, like a record vinyl. The real one is very matt and slightly greyer.

It also has the twin fans from the Brush Cooling System poking through the grills for the Voith cooler that are fitted to FGW/GWR power cars, not the single bigger fan.

The rest of the model is very nice though, just a bit underwhelmed with the lack of accuracy on very obvious things.

Edit: below is a comparison highlighting both problems. Going back to Hornby as it's too much modification work to do on a new model.

Hornby Scotrail HST.jpg

Wow.  With expectations like that I suspect you are going to be returning an awful lot of models back to their manufacturers.

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Wow.  With expectations like that I suspect you are going to be returning an awful lot of models back to their manufacturers.

Darius

To be fair to the guy, having the roof gloss black when it should be matt is a very noticeable mistake.  For £260, I don't blame him

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, 47423 said:

They should have twin fans as they are all ex WR cars. 

I'm afraid not, as the original cooler groups were replaced with the Voith Single Fan system upon refurbishment back in 2007-2009. The Cross Country / East Coast / Grand Central and Network Rail examples received a twin fan arrangement designed by Brush. 

Here is the cooler group of 43143 (now with ScotRail) at Penzance back in it's FGW days. This of course means that the Hornby model is unfortunately wrong. 

Screenshot_2019-08-25_at_23_28_29.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

To be fair to the guy, having the roof gloss black when it should be matt is a very noticeable mistake.  For £260, I don't blame him

I actually like the gloss finish. It makes it more realistic as the trains in real are gloss (albeit not the roof so much). If  punters are so concerned by the roof surely you could just give it a quick coat of Humbrol Matt varnish?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bart2day said:

I actually like the gloss finish. It makes it more realistic as the trains in real are gloss (albeit not the roof so much). If  punters are so concerned by the roof surely you could just give it a quick coat of Humbrol Matt varnish?

Yes but these days “modellers” are very reticent to do any actual modelling. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to do that! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bart2day said:

Absolutely, but why not just get it correct in the first place?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

having the roof gloss black when it should be matt is a very noticeable mistake. 

10 hours ago, bart2day said:

Excuse my ignorance, but were the rooves matt or gloss off production? If the latter, then the model is correct, and can be toned down with a little soot weathering.

20 hours ago, surfsup said:

I'm afraid not, as the original cooler groups were replaced with the Voith Single Fan system upon refurbishment back in 2007-2009. The Cross Country / East Coast / Grand Central and Network Rail examples received a twin fan arrangement designed by Brush. 

Here is the cooler group of 43143 (now with ScotRail) at Penzance back in it's FGW days. This of course means that the Hornby model is unfortunately wrong. 

My mistake, sorry

On 25/08/2019 at 12:05, Darius43 said:

Darius

lol, I hear you bud, but this is the first train model I have bought that I have been disappointed in. It is for a static display as well so the light lenses blending in takes away the character of the face of the HST and the roof being gloss black (and not matt grey) looks almost unpainted plastic.

I was going to strip it down, colour in the light inserts of the body light grey to lighten up the lenses and matt clear the roofs but for £260 to do that and the roofs of the mk3s as well is a lot of work that I don’t have the time for as I have a backlog of other aircraft models to do! Was just wanting a hassle free set that would be nice in a diorama and is just isn’t for me, just sharing my opinion is all.

Cheers

Andy (falken_gt4)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/08/2019 at 23:32, surfsup said:

Thinking I can probably design and 3D print that, I don't know if you can buy them?

7 hours ago, falken_gt4 said:

Thinking I can probably design and 3D print that, I don't know if you can buy them?

That's not a bad shout at all, and is something I was thinking of looking at doing too. I'm going to give experimenting with my Dapol 68 roof fans a go first though. 

But if it's possible to 3D print them, I would certainly take a fair few for my FGW Power Cars. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 01:49, falken_gt4 said:

Just received mine, very detailed but a couple of things have left me disappointed.

• The lights are very dark so when they are not lit the lenses just look too dark and blend into the front dark blue whereas the real one has light grey inserts behind the lenses giving them some proper contrast.
  • The roof is a very shiny black, like a record vinyl. The real one is very matt and slightly greyer.

It also has the twin fans from the Brush Cooling System poking through the grills for the Voith cooler that are fitted to FGW/GWR power cars, not the single bigger fan.

The rest of the model is very nice though, just a bit underwhelmed with the lack of accuracy on very obvious things.

Edit: below is a comparison highlighting both problems. Going back to Hornby as it's too much modification work to do on a new model.

Hornby Scotrail HST.jpg

The dark lenses are easily corrected by adding a small bit of white pair around the outside then reassemble. 

B84A364A-42BE-40AA-9748-800904F55655.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/08/2019 at 18:29, 47423 said:

They should have twin fans as they are all ex WR cars. 

I thought GWR ones had the single fan, EC and XC ones had the twin fans, not that I have looked at the roof lately.

I am down Laira tomorrow so will try and have a look at a few.

Edit-

Surfsup has already covered it.

Edited by royaloak

On 07/09/2019 at 15:33, magic_monkey09 said:

The dark lenses are easily corrected by adding a small bit of white pair around the outside then reassemble. 

B84A364A-42BE-40AA-9748-800904F55655.jpeg

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing, glad to see it would have worked out. What an improvement, real oversight by Hornby that.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Hilux . Was getting confused over various descriptions in Hornby Catalogue . Must admit do like my Powercars that are currently teamed up with some Unbranded Joueff mk3s. I'm assuming crew training for the moment !

I got to say, though I hate gloss! In this instance I could downgrade the hatred to a mild dislike as to see Hornby have captures the difference in finish to the vinyl on the side and the painted ends is truly brilliant work. If I ever get a post in Edinburgh or St Andrews, I shall be certain to buy this HST!