Hornby TTS Decoders No Longer Enabled On DC Mode?

BritishRail60062

Hi folks,

I have a new problem on my hands and yes this is new to me in this case and I will explain why. In the past, I have had no problems in running or testing DCC fitted model trains on a traditional DC layout or in my case a traditional loop of track and I have many model trains that have either a Hornby or a ESU chip in them and in the past both of them have worked fine in the past when I have bought brand new DCC fitted model trains. Now I am fully aware that TTS sound cannot and WILL NOT work in DC mode and I am going be getting a NCE DCC Controller in the next month at least. The model train I am having problems with is the new Hornby TTS Class 60 because despite the fact that Hornby state in their manual that although the sounds will not work on DC. The motor control is still available and has been the case in the past. 

So here is my question on this? Have Hornby cunningly disabled DC mode under CV29 on this model now? Because the model won't move under DC and I do not yet have a DCC controller to enable DC mode under CV29. I have a very strong feeling that Hornby have disabled DC mode which in my opinion is just plain daft because not everyone has or wants DCC but they may like the model train that has a DCC TTS decoder fitted like this 60044 model that I have does. I already sent one back as it arrived factory damaged with a large scratch on one of the cabs and I bought this one from another model railway dealer. But it won't move on DC.

I have an 8 pin blanking plug which if the model was second hand wouldn't be a problem to fit upon disconnecting the decoder but I cannot do this because the model is brand new and it is still under warranty. I simply won't run the risk of making the warranty void. With no thanks to Hornby deliberately disabling DC mode on their new TTS Class 60 DB Schenker model there is no way without using a DCC controller (which I do not currently have) it is possible to know if the model train works or not. 

Has anyone else had this problem? Because this is new to me and I have never had this problem before when I have purchased DCC fitted model trains brand new in the past ;).

I would appreciate any advice and thanks for reading.

All the best

Ash.

7 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I have a very strong feeling that Hornby have disabled DC mode which in my opinion is just plain daft because not everyone has or wants DCC but they may like the model train that has a DCC TTS decoder fitted like this 60044 model that I have does.

Sorry, I cannot help you with your problem.

But I am curious to know why you think that anyone who doesn't have or want DCC would want to pay extra for DCC sound right now. I have only one DCC-fitted loco, and that was because that's all that was available. Otherwise, I buy DC, and will fit my own choice of decoder if I ever progress to DCC. But buying DCC adds to the cost of a model, and sound adds even more, which seems strange if you cannot make use of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, truffy said:

Sorry, I cannot help you with your problem.

But I am curious to know why you think that anyone who doesn't have or want DCC would want to pay extra for DCC sound right now. I have only one DCC-fitted loco, and that was because that's all that was available. Otherwise, I buy DC, and will fit my own choice of decoder if I ever progress to DCC. But buying DCC adds to the cost of a model, and sound adds even more, which seems strange if you cannot make use of it.

Hi Nigel,

Come to think of it. I don't know why Hornby didn't issue this model in DCC ready format (which I prefer) and DCC fitted with the TTS sound model like this one. I was kind of forced to get it with TTS DCC sound because I couldn't buy it without sound. Hornby in the past did DCC ready and fitted models of their Class 153 and HST models and others. Other makes like Farish/Bachmann do two versions with or without DCC/DCC Sound on some of their models. If Hornby did this model without sound, I would have later on added an ESU LokSound V5 from Legomanbiffo as I prefer his sounds. But the sound is not my issue here. Its the fact that Hornby have either mistakenly disabled the DC mode or have cunningly disabled it in attempt to make people buy a DCC controller in order to use it (I hope that the latter is not the case as it is bad practice in my opinion).

Personally I like Hornby, so I will go easy on them and put it down to a genuine mistake on their part. As for DCC decoders. Personally I like ESU or Lenz as I do tend to find them very reliable and robust decoders in my opinion :).

All the best

Ash.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's a two minute job to remove the 8 pin decoder plug and fit a blanking plug - it should then run on DC - this alone, should not invalidate the warranty, and you can then check the model at least works. One you have a DCC controller you can then set CV29 to enable DC running - if found necessary. 

HTH

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

It's a two minute job to remove the 8 pin decoder plug and fit a blanking plug - it should then run on DC - this alone, should not invalidate the warranty, and you can then check the model at least works. One you have a DCC controller you can then set CV29 to enable DC running - if found necessary. 

HTH

Cheers mate. In truth I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do this incase I did void the warranty but I will give it a try. I am happy to use a planking plug if that means a working model at the end of the day ;). That way, I won't have to scramble around to get a DCC controller. 

All the best

Ash.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Cheers mate. In truth I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do this incase I did void the warranty but I will give it a try. I am happy to use a planking plug if that means a working model at the end of the day ;). That way, I won't have to scramble around to get a DCC controller. 

All the best

Ash.

It might be that the model is not functioning on either DC or DCC. Sorry to state the obvious and apologies in advance for and if a mistaken suggestion.This model is the first release for many years in this livery / form so it’s understandable why one would want to buy it. It should work on DC.and there is nothing from Hornby to suggest it won’t. Contact them directly on Monday morning for advice .

I use a Gaugemaster dc controller an have two TTS models which work fine without sound and two Loksound Hornby which work with sound,though limited.Will be interesting to see how you proceed. Please let us know.

Well, well well. I have some good news although it has left me a bit miffed with Hornby. I put in the blanking plug and I am pleased to say that the model train does work perfectly fine. It appears that DC mode has been disabled by Hornby on this occasion in regards to 60044's situation.

4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It might be that the model is not functioning on either DC or DCC. Sorry to state the obvious and apologies in advance for and if a mistaken suggestion.This model is the first release for many years in this livery / form so it’s understandable why one would want to buy it. It should work on DC.and there is nothing from Hornby to suggest it won’t. Contact them directly on Monday morning for advice .

I use a Gaugemaster dc controller an have two TTS models which work fine without sound and two Loksound Hornby which work with sound,though limited.Will be interesting to see how you proceed. Please let us know.

Hello Ian. No bother at all buddy, infact I appreciate any help on this matter but I am rather disappointed with Hornby on this occasion because I have two other Class 60's with LokSound V4 decoders and they work a treat on both modes without a flinch. I used to own a TTS Class 47 in the large logo blue and that worked fine on DC albeit muted which I didn't mind as long as it worked okay ;).

I am a bit miffed with Hornby on this occasion because I am lucky to have 33 years of model train experience up my sleeve and had the instinct to try the blanking plate method once I was clear that it wouldn't invalidate the warranty on the model train by doing this. The model is fine and I will enable DC mode myself once I get my hands on an NCE powercab controller. You have good taste in quality as far as Gaugemaster is concerned mate because I used to have their Model D twin track controller and that was almost bulletproof and could handle any OO gauge model train I could throw at it metaphorically speaking. Even the power hungry Heljan models didn't even make it flinch. But then Gaugemaster is like the Bentley of model train controllers (or atleast in my opinion) ;)

All the best

Ash.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Nile said:

Or it could be the decoder is faulty. Unless you test it with a DCC system you cannot be sure.

That could be a possibility too mate because I thought this was the case with the first model I had hence no response on DC which considering I had some TTS models in the past that did work on DC in passive mode (no sound). This was abnormal from the previous experiences I have had. Until I get the NCE PowerCab controller. I won't be able to diagnose the decoder is at fault or if DC mode is turned off :).

In truth. I am a bit of a Hornby fanboy and have been a loyal Hornby customer for about 3 decades as I am at the tail end of my 30's and I try to see the best in Hornby as well as defend them. But sadly. I cannot do this on this occasion and I will tell you why. Most of us on here have a lot of experience in the model railway field and kind of know what to do to fix most things. Now what about if this happened with a rookie that has little to no experience in the model train field and that they were not confident with using a blanking plug and only have a DC layout? 

A hiccup like this would probably put them off buying a nice model train like the Hornby Class 60 in the future because of Hornby's error of disabling the DC mode. I would have probably put it down to that the decoder could have been faulty but this is the second model of the same Class 60 as I sent the first one back as I thought it was a faulty decoder in the first place. So this begs the question that is it quite possible that I bought two models of the TTS sound Class 60 with faulty decoders then from two different suppliers? Because if this is the case, then that would surely put the Hornby's quality control into question? :).

Just some food for thought?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

this is the second model of the same Class 60 as I sent the first one back as I thought it was a faulty decoder

That's interesting, and does indicate something odd going on. It would be useful to know about other peoples experience with this model. Probably most buyers haven't tried it on DC. Hopefully Hornby can resolve this for you if it is their error, we await their response on Monday.

• Agree 2

I've seen this on R7146 08 TTS decoder. Think it's a recently released product. Didn't run on DC as CV29 had a value of 02 (normal direction of travel, 128 speed steps, DCC running only, short address.) Changing the value to 06 worked. However, one improvement is that my DCC setup was able to read back CV values from the TTS decoder, this hasn't been the case with earlier TTS decoders.

Unless the loco is supplied DCC (dumb or sound) then my preferred method of DCC install is to put the decoder in an ESU decoder tester, and run it with a low voltage / amperage DC power supply. If the motor and lights on the decoder tester work then I swap to DCC power from a programming track output, testing the motor, lights and sound functions. If it passes then it gets installed into the loco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nile said:

That's interesting, and does indicate something odd going on. It would be useful to know about other peoples experience with this model. Probably most buyers haven't tried it on DC. Hopefully Hornby can resolve this for you if it is their error, we await their response on Monday.

I too hope that Hornby will get on top of this because as a Hornby loyalist that's on the brink of a fanboy. I only want the best for Hornby because in my opinion. Hornby is like the Toyota/Lexus of the model train market in OO gauge. They can and often do produce some cracking model trains when they put their minds to it. I too will forward to their feedback. I am happy to fix CV29 myself when I get my DCC controller from NCE next month. So I only need to change the decimal place from 02 to 06 to enable DC mode.

35 minutes ago, Amand said:

I've seen this on R7146 08 TTS decoder. Think it's a recently released product. Didn't run on DC as CV29 had a value of 02 (normal direction of travel, 128 speed steps, DCC running only, short address.) Changing the value to 06 worked. However, one improvement is that my DCC setup was able to read back CV values from the TTS decoder, this hasn't been the case with earlier TTS decoders.

Unless the loco is supplied DCC (dumb or sound) then my preferred method of DCC install is to put the decoder in an ESU decoder tester, and run it with a low voltage / amperage DC power supply. If the motor and lights on the decoder tester work then I swap to DCC power from a programming track output, testing the motor, lights and sound functions. If it passes then it gets installed into the loco.

That's a point. Does this now mean that all newer TTS decoders including those fitted inside RTR models now have DC mode disabled by default? Whilst this won't be an issue with those that only use DCC. But what about those that do not use DCC and those that may take that model fitted with a decoder to their friends DC layout thinking that DC mode is enabled by default only to find out that the model is dead useless on DC because DC mode was turned off by Hornby? I will be getting a DCC test station soon myself as I think I am going to need one for the future once I get my NCE Powercab :).

9 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I too hope that Hornby will get on top of this because as a Hornby loyalist that's on the brink of a fanboy. I only want the best for Hornby because in my opinion. Hornby is like the Toyota/Lexus of the model train market in OO gauge. They can and often do produce some cracking model trains when they put their minds to it. I too will forward to their feedback. I am happy to fix CV29 myself when I get my DCC controller from NCE next month. So I only need to change the decimal place from 02 to 06 to enable DC mode.

That's a point. Does this now mean that all newer TTS decoders including those fitted inside RTR models now have DC mode disabled by default? Whilst this won't be an issue with those that only use DCC. But what about those that do not use DCC and those that may take that model fitted with a decoder to their friends DC layout thinking that DC mode is enabled by default only to find out that the model is dead useless on DC because DC mode was turned off by Hornby? I will be getting a DCC test station soon myself as I think I am going to need one for the future once I get my NCE Powercab :).

The NCE throttle will guide you through the process, you don't need to know the value of CV29, *from memory* it will ask as part of the decoder programming. Of course you could also set the value separately. I suggest that you refer to the 2mm DCC calculator web page http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm it explains the CV29 values and what affect they have on the way a decoder responds.

There could potentially be another issue with locos not responding to a DC power supply. Say a model shop had a test track that only had DC power available, and a customer asked to see the loco running before they commit to a purchase, then the loco could be deemed to be faulty?  Maybe Hornby have issued a statement to their stockists alerting them to this? At the very least there should be a sticker on the decoder packaging saying that DC running needs to be enable, similar to the health warning on packets of cancer sticks (sorry, cigarettes.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Amand said:

The NCE throttle will guide you through the process, you don't need to know the value of CV29, *from memory* it will ask as part of the decoder programming. Of course you could also set the value separately. I suggest that you refer to the 2mm DCC calculator web page http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm it explains the CV29 values and what affect they have on the way a decoder responds.

There could potentially be another issue with locos not responding to a DC power supply. Say a model shop had a test track that only had DC power available, and a customer asked to see the loco running before they commit to a purchase, then the loco could be deemed to be faulty?  Maybe Hornby have issued a statement to their stockists alerting them to this? At the very least there should be a sticker on the decoder packaging saying that DC running needs to be enable, similar to the health warning on packets of cancer sticks (sorry, cigarettes.)

Well we do have retail members of this forum who do test before delivery.The way forward is to ask one of these for their observation on the model. So far other than this unfortunate event there had been nothing from one of them..I suspect that if there had been,it would have been posted by now..Try a pm to Little Dan of Derails.He is the obvious choice of contact.He would soon tell you if there had been issues with this 60.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amand said:

Thanks for that. I will let the NCE Powercab handle the settings of the decoder in that case. Its been a while since I used one that I forgot about its unique features on this function. So maybe that will take care of the problem with DC mode :). I agree that if Hornby has chosen to disable DC mode by default then maybe they should state this in the instructions and on the model train box for TTS fitted models and also inform all official Hornby authorised outlets as then they can alert any potential customers like myself that do not currently use DCC. It would make life easier for everyone and all I wanted to do and expect to do is be able to do a basic running session of the model train when I buy it new without any fuss or the hassle of getting someone to enable it on DC mode before I use it.

10 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well we do have retail members of this forum who do test before delivery.The way forward is to ask one of these for their observation on the model. So far other than this unfortunate event there had been nothing from one of them..I suspect that if there had been,it would have been posted by now..Try a pm to Little Dan of Derails.He is the obvious choice of contact.He would soon tell you if there had been issues with this 60.

To be honest mate. I was surprised that Hornby made this move to disable DC mode by default considering that in the past. This function was not default on the older TTS models and I could use "muted" on DC with no issues and I have never had a problem with a brand new Hornby Class 60 before this model. I will have to assume that the newer TTS models and decoders are set with DC turned off as default and that it would need to be manually enabled in the future? I don't mind doing this as I am going to be getting an NCE Powercab for a model railway that I am going to start building in September that is called "Bloomfield Lea Road" and its a fictional UK/Irish layout :). At least I now what to do with the TTS decoders/fitted models if they don't work straight out of the box and I don't need to send the Class 60 back to Rails of Sheffield of whom I have used for years and was the dealer I bought the second Class 60 from :)

All the best

Ash.

11 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I have noticed recently when fitting stay alives to TTS decoders that DC running is already disabled, for me this is a benefit because I don't want the DC running to be on, but I can see that for a few people this could be a problem.

Richard

I can understand the benefits of having DC mode turned off as default as when I used TCS decoders in around 2008/2009. I had a few scary rides with those and some random runaways in the process as well. I had to literally catch a few model trains with my hands to stop them flying off the board and smashing onto the concrete floor when the decoder chose to throw a wobbly on me for no apparent reason. So whilst I respect its benefits for those that do not use analogue 12 volts DC. I think it should be enabled as default on RTR model trains with DCC/TTS decoders fitted and standalone decoders for rookies that don't have much experience with using DCC at first because it would make life easier for all of us ;).

• RMweb Premium

The INTERCITY livery HST power cars from last year didn't work on DCC as released, a change of CV29 was needed, despite the paperwork quite clearly stating that they did work on DC (no noise, just movement & lights.)

Seems to be a Hornby policy rather than a mistake with a particular model.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

The INTERCITY livery HST power cars from last year didn't work on DCC as released, a change of CV29 was needed, despite the paperwork quite clearly stating that they did work on DC (no noise, just movement & lights.)

Seems to be a Hornby policy rather than a mistake with a particular model.

Cheers,

Phil.

Interesting.It presumably is factory set in China.In that case it may even be a situation that....given lack of rigour in QC control......Hornby UK are unaware of. I would be doubtful of it being policy.Rather a lack of communication.

Probably best to check the model works on DC before paying for it.   Most reputable dealers and quite a few rogues will test locos before you complete the purchase.  It may well be a mis communication with DC running disabled due to problems with running DCC models on DC reported on other threads, very poor low speed control etc, but presumably even with DC running disabled a Relco will still do the chip a power of no good.

• Agree 1

We too had issues when testing the new Class 60's before selling. The locos appeared to be dead. Then with a delay as I had left the first one on the test track it kicked into life. The only way I could describe the delay was that the loco had gone into "start up" mode. The rest of the batch were exactly the same. Happy to report that the ones we sold, we asked the purchasers to return immediately in case there was a fault. No one has returned them and have said that there were no issues running on DCC.

We then tried a Class 20 TTS and there was no issue testing on Analogue control.

I suspect that Hornby may not be aware of this issue. If as many purchasers have identified these "faulty" locos they may have had a higher than usual amount of Returns. I will ring Margate QC tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just plonked my class 60 on my analogue test track and it does not move. Placed it on my dcc programming track, read CV29 as 2.

Then placed the loco on the dcc layout and it ran perfectly sound and all on address 3

Keith

• Informative/Useful 2

I believe the J36 TTS is the same, i.e. cannot run on DC with chip in. The only way is to remove the chip. This is either a weird mistake in programming, or a ploy by Hornby to get people to buy a DCC controller because its less hastle (that is cynical of me, but...).

IF Hornby are doing this, they should really be issuing models with a DCC fitted or DCC ready option; it is unacceptable to have to dismantle a model for it to work AT ALL on DC, and there will be some models that are inherently desirable.

I've always been against 'popular' models being issued sound fitted; I was annoyed when Clun Castle was released just as a sound model for example.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I believe the J36 TTS is the same, i.e. cannot run on DC with chip in. The only way is to remove the chip. This is either a weird mistake in programming, or a ploy by Hornby to get people to buy a DCC controller because its less hastle (that is cynical of me, but...).

IF Hornby are doing this, they should really be issuing models with a DCC fitted or DCC ready option; it is unacceptable to have to dismantle a model for it to work AT ALL on DC, and there will be some models that are inherently desirable.

I've always been against 'popular' models being issued sound fitted; I was annoyed when Clun Castle was released just as a sound model for example.

I honestly believe,like Widnes Model Centre,that it’s an unintentional error created without Hornby’s prior knowledge at the factory in China. This has just slipped through the net probably due to lack of due diligence once again with QC.I suspect they know zero about it.They will in the morning though.

6 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Probably best to check the model works on DC before paying for it.   Most reputable dealers and quite a few rogues will test locos before you complete the purchase.  It may well be a mis communication with DC running disabled due to problems with running DCC models on DC reported on other threads, very poor low speed control etc, but presumably even with DC running disabled a Relco will still do the chip a power of no good.

Unfortunately where I live. There is no local model train store here in Derry and Enniskillen is too far and there is no model train store in Belfast either. That means I have to rely on online shopping for my model train needs unless a model train shop does open here in Derry although I would have expected a model train shop in Belfast but this is not the case sadly.

6 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

We too had issues when testing the new Class 60's before selling. The locos appeared to be dead. Then with a delay as I had left the first one on the test track it kicked into life. The only way I could describe the delay was that the loco had gone into "start up" mode. The rest of the batch were exactly the same. Happy to report that the ones we sold, we asked the purchasers to return immediately in case there was a fault. No one has returned them and have said that there were no issues running on DCC.

We then tried a Class 20 TTS and there was no issue testing on Analogue control.

I suspect that Hornby may not be aware of this issue. If as many purchasers have identified these "faulty" locos they may have had a higher than usual amount of Returns. I will ring Margate QC tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer.

That's a point. Does that mean that these Class 60's had DC mode enabled and then a delay of 2 minutes before the model starts to move or even respond? That's fair enough for me because my two LokSound Hornby Class 60's have a delay whilst the start up sounds play etc on DC mode. But if this is the case with the TTS Class 60 then surely the lights should come out to let me know that power is getting into the model. That would make things a lot easier for us. Its when the model doesn't respond at all that signifies that either DC mode is disabled or the decoder is dead which is my concern on this occasion :).

6 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

I've just plonked my class 60 on my analogue test track and it does not move. Placed it on my dcc programming track, read CV29 as 2.

Then placed the loco on the dcc layout and it ran perfectly sound and all on address 3

Keith

Thanks for that Keith. I am pleased that I am not alone on this unfortunate experience and that indicates that DC mode is disabled by default on these models which is not usually the case :).

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I am sure that this is a genuine mistake from Hornby this time because although there could be an element of truth that it is quite possible that Hornby could have done this to get more sales and move people into the DCC market but I am doubtful and I will explain why I think this way. Its bad business practice for a start because that could deter people from buying TTS/DCC fitted models in the future which would only have a negative effect on the sales of that model. I am quite cynical on a lot of things as that comes with my age unfortunately. But my instincts are telling me that this is just a genuine mistake from Hornby on this occasion and I am doubtful that it would be something deliberately done. Communication has slipped somewhere between Hornby UK and Hornby China when the models were made. 

23 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I honestly believe,like Widnes Model Centre,that it’s an unintentional error created without Hornby’s prior knowledge at the factory in China. This has just slipped through the net probably due to lack of due diligence once again with QC.I suspect they know zero about it.They will in the morning though.

I totally agree with you buddy. Once Hornby are alerted to this issue. They are usually quite swift on dealing with these problems and they can alert all of their outlets and official stockists to the problem. Then the stockists can either check each of their models and manually enable DC mode on each of their models or send them all back to Hornby to rectify this problem :).

We'll just have to wait and see what Hornby will say on this issue next week.

All the best

Ash.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1