Class 43 TTS valenta decoders - set up

70E

Just installing these with upgraded speakers. Im not familiar with the sound set up on double headed diesels. 

If I set them up with separate addresses and double head can I still control the sounds separately especially starting or shutting down the engines independently or will they work as if they both had the same address?

Hope that makes sense?

Many Thanks

Is it Hornby TTS you are asking about?

If that's the case I set mine to the same address to enable 128 speed steps (as TTS consists only allow 28 speed steps).  Then on the rear power car I reduced all the horn CV's to 0 so that only the front  power car horns play. That trick works perfectly.

I believe more expensive sound projects on Loksound decoders (e.g. Legomanbiffo) are cleverly programmed to play horns only in forward direction of travel.

But for the price I'm more than happy with my TTS. 

Edit:   Ah, just seen your topic title now refers to TTS!

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I believe more expensive sound projects on Loksound decoders (e.g. Legomanbiffo) are cleverly programmed to play horns only in forward direction of travel.

Biff's Valenta does indeed do that. It also delays the engine start at one end, which is prototypical.

6 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

If that's the case I set mine to the same address to enable 128 speed steps (as TTS consists only allow 28 speed steps).  Then on the rear power car I reduced all the horn CV's to 0 so that only the front  power car horns play. That trick works perfectly.

I didn't think TTS supported advanced consists at all?

If I am correct about this, only basic consists would be available & these are managed by the command system, not the decoders. Number of speed steps would therefore depend on the control system.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Biff's Valenta does indeed do that. It also delays the engine start at one end, which is prototypical.

I didn't think TTS supported advanced consists at all?

If I am correct about this, only basic consists would be available & these are managed by the command system, not the decoders. Number of speed steps would therefore depend on the control system.

Yes Pete, that's correct.  TTS decoders don't support advanced consists, only "old style" consists (NCE's terminology). 

That's why I have set my TTS 2 x Class 20s to the same address as well as TTS HST power cars as I prefer the superior control of 128 speed steps.   These are the only traction units which I "double head".

My NCE Powercab won't allow 128 speed steps for an "old style" consist.

I have advance consisted a few of Bif's Loksound Hornby 153 + Bachmann 150 DMU combination quite well but that's another story - and another thread.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Changed wording for clarification
  • Like 1

The only way I know to run TTS sound functions separately in a consist is using Hornby Railmaster which is a software fudge method that allows any decoder to run in a consist. Both loco elements are controlled by the pseudo consist address from either throttle, but each individual loco throttles can control their sounds, including engine start .