Blacksboat

60B

So, using offcuts from the "Isla Street", I am intening (famous last words ;)) to build a model of Blacksboat on the long closed GNSR Craigelachie - Boat of Garten line. I haven't decided on a specific era but I guess the station stayed the same during BR steam and diesel days. My intention is to use this layout at college whilst I research "Isla Street" and to show rolling stock as it becomes available. Reading through "The Whisky Spirit" by Ron Smith a couple of interesting things have popped up:

- an LMS 2P on an inspection saloon at Ballindalloch

- a photo of Blacksboat station (with a coach body on the platform).

But, a number of details I can not acetane:

- what was the coach body on the platform?

- the book mentions K2s and B12s (J36s appeared as well), great but no numbers or even dates.

- A reference to a "saloon type coach" used on a normal passenger train is made and the loco is 62771 but what could the coach be?

- Speaking of coaches, photos show what I think are of LMS origin(possibly p2 or 3) but I can't identify them.

So, using offcuts from the "Isla Street", I am intening (famous last words wink.gif) to build a model of Blacksboat on the long closed GNSR Craigelachie - Boat of Garten line. I haven't decided on a specific era but I guess the station stayed the same during BR steam and diesel days. My intention is to use this layout at college whilst I research "Isla Street" and to show rolling stock as it becomes available. Reading through "The Whisky Spirit" by Ron Smith a couple of interesting things have popped up:

- an LMS 2P on an inspection saloon at Ballindalloch

- a photo of Blacksboat station (with a coach body on the platform).

But, a number of details I can not acetane:

- what was the coach body on the platform?

- the book mentions K2s and B12s (J36s appeared as well), great but no numbers or even dates.

- A reference to a "saloon type coach" used on a normal passenger train is made and the loco is 62771 but what could the coach be?

- Speaking of coaches, photos show what I think are of LMS origin(possibly p2 or 3) but I can't identify them.

I will have to delve deep for the "true" answer but I do know that when the GNSR decided not to continue with the steam railmotors they converted the passenger sections from each into saloons which were so popular that more (another two I think) were constructed.

Just how long they all lasted I am not sure but from memory they were very long lived, perhaps it may be one of them.

I do not have the book (it's now on the list) but I also have many photographs of D40s with 2 ex LMS coaches in Carmine & Cream running on the Deeside line.

I am no coach expert so I will need to sit and compare the photos to LMS coach diagrams, then try and sort out BR number allocations etc, although I rekon one is a brake third.

It's something I need to do before Guildex in September. as it is my intention to purchase them both from Sidelines this year for later construction.

regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart, I was thinking a Brake third given the nature of the line. The mention of the saloon suggests BR days as the loco is carrying a BR number. There is plenty of seemingly anecedotal evidence of "shenanigans" going on (no doubt they did happen) and of a railbus with knackered gearbox.

So a deep rummage through the GNSRA website last night turned up, nothing. Not one pic of Blacksboat to be seen (a few of Advie). Still no closer to identifying the coach body on the platform. It appears to be similar to one still standing but appears to be a 6w full brake. No doubt that they have drawings do I will fire off a letter to whom it concerns soon. This may sound anti-progress but I have found that nu-cast do a D40.

This view of the station was taken in 2005. I seem to remember that the station building was on the market at the time. If you wish I can also post pictures of the elevations of the goods shed.

Hi, Bill. Thanks for that photo. The other photos would be most useful as the one on railscot is of one side only. Looking at google earth, I see no evidence of a signal box which makes me think the turnout for the shed was a ground frame with a fpl lock.

So a deep rummage through the GNSRA website last night turned up, nothing. Not one pic of Blacksboat to be seen (a few of Advie). Still no closer to identifying the coach body on the platform. It appears to be similar to one still standing but appears to be a 6w full brake. No doubt that they have drawings do I will fire off a letter to whom it concerns soon. This may sound anti-progress but I have found that nu-cast do a D40.

Pity you aren't in 7mm, Invertrain do a kit for the station building in their 'Highland Castings' range. Might be worth getting in touch to see where the info came from though.

Phil T.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I'm assuming that you have the book :-

Speyside Railways

Rosemary Burgess and Robert Kinghorn

Abredeen University Press - 1988

ISBN 0-08-036411-x

If you have..

Is the photo of Blacksboat on page 50 the same photo as in the book 'The Whiskey Spirit' that you have?

Thanks

Hi Phil, will call tommorrow. Thanks for the photos Bill. I spotted this on Keith Fenwicks site and am wondering where to begin (Brassmasters universal cleminson and the book on GNS coaching stock): http://www.keithf49.me.uk/Gallery%20diag%2041/slides/Image1-196.html

Phil, no I don't as this was far more whimsical than most layouts.

The coach on the platform is similar to this: http://www.keithf49.me.uk/Gallery%20diag%2060/slides/Image1-1.html though the duckets were at the far end of the coach.

Success!!! Had a poke through the book on GNSR coaching stock and the mysterious appears to be a Diagram 58 Full Brake: http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=851 . Didn't have the money for the book though I will probably pick it up at a later point as a number of GNS vehicles found their way into departmental work (esp. 4 and 6 wheeled). Picked up "The Speyside Line" which provides a neat plan of the station.

Also, looking at this: http://www.gnsra.org.uk/images/gallery/GB03_near_Knockando_House_Halt_andthe_locoa_bit_blurredis_possibly_62267_in_this_1950s_Speyside_shot_733.jpg

It appears that the set is a period 3 Corridor Brake Third and possibly a Corridor Third.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the further I dig, more problems occur.

From the railcar site:

"By August 3rd '59 79970 was out of use with a fractured frame, the services were being operated by 40648 with one LMS saloon."

Now, when I see saloon mentioned, I immediately go to inspection salons. Though with a handful of stops that required steps, perhaps a inspection saloon with its powered steps isn't so far fetched.

Speaking of saloons, I have solved the mystery of the saloon coach. It is a GNS daig 22. They were seen on Speyside at times though both transfereed to the St. Combs line where they finished 53/54.

Further reading on railcar about the Whickham says:

"Again steam came to the rescue, with 2Ps 40622/48 and 2MT 78052 using one BSK"

Which appears to be the typical solution even through the diesel years.

Guest Natalie Graham

There is a great video "Steam on the Speyside Line". I see it has made it to DVD and there is a copy on eBay at the moment. Well worth having if you are interested in that line.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great video "Steam on the Speyside Line". I see it has made it to DVD and there is a copy on eBay at the moment. Well worth having if you are interested in that line.

Agreed, worth every penny if interested in the GNSR, I purchased the video some years ago and it has become a treasured posession which I still watch (when allowed!!) on a regular basis.

A D40 and the two ex LMS coaches in carmine and cream mentioned in an earlier post appear often.

regards

Stewart

Archived