Ashington - Modelling the Blyth & Tyne

Ragtag

289104515_BlythTyne.png.0ceb4fb5a23e74efa6b70e709611b2ed.pngA return of passenger services to the Blyth & Tyne line has long been discussed, and after much umming and ahhing I've decided to build a layout that exists in a fictional scenario where the line was reopened when first suggested in the early 1990s. At the moment I envision the layout spanning from c.1998 to the present day but with 3 distinct operation periods - Northern Spirit/Arriva Trains Northern, Northern Rail and Northern. Stock-wise I think the real thing would be heavily reliant on Pacer-power so the layout will be too, although the odd Sprinter will also put in appearances.

I've mocked up a route map to show my current thoughts on how things might work. This assumes that SENRUG's proposed extension to Newbiggin hasn't been built (yet) but that passenger facilities were constructed at Woodhorn. The limited service would seem to suggest that this station was not the tourist magnet it was expected to be by some parties.

I've chosen to model Ashington, which in this scenario manages an hourly off-peak service to Newcastle rising in frequency to every 30 mins in peak times. Also attached is a first look at the relatively simple track plan. We assume that the Butterwell branch (veering off at the top right) has remained open (allowing the loop north from Ashington past Linton and onto the ECML north of Pegswood). The scenery will be relatively complex to construct with the lines passing under Wansbeck Square, adjacent to an underground car park, before continuing beneath a road bridge. The ramp from the square down to the station car park will run along the layout's backscene with the Presto's/Wilko's building forming most of the backscene itself.

The only significant change to the prototype trackplan is the addition of an extra crossover at the south end of the layout - this is to allow freight trains from the Butterwell branch (largely opencast coal) to bypass any trains which may be standing in Platform 1. Across the period modelled the line would see a decent selection of freight traffic including shipping coal out, Alcan powders in, Alcan ingots out, shipping coal in in more recent years and most recently of all shipping biomass in.

I did add a short stabling siding for a DMU at the south end of the station to add some visual interest but I'm not convinced that this is entirely necessary, nor am I convinced that it works in its current location (being almost entirely off-scene).

Ashington.jpg.b3b5f768bf0a5956e3caf82bcca28a4e.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

You could add in earlier years a foot ex with pre season friendly to Ashington AFC!

Its a nice design and has potential to capture the prototype, what scale/gauge will it be?

My thoughts would be to have the main to main crossovers under the bridge as they were, the single line to Number one loop/Butterwell and the line into Ashington Colliery as a turn back siding for the units!

FF/FGA are available from Bachmann but not the C type flat containers for the ingots, Hornby or Lima PCA can be modified with the additional filler added at the centre! Alas the unfitted locals hoppers PAO would need a scratch build.

Mark Saunders 

• Like 1

Hi chaps - the scale will be 4mm to standard 00 gauge. The football special is a nice idea, and one I hadn't considered.

The crossover under the bridge remains and can just about be made out on the plan, the one to the south end of the platforms is just an additional one. The colliery line was actually my intended reversing point for the units, but the additional crossover would also allow for an in-platform reversal as is common at Castleford. 

Meanwhile, here are some prototype photos from this week.

The ramp up to the square. The gates on the right will form the entrance to Platform 2.

20190714_134001.jpg.8b7cad234c61f627918e429abe790bff.jpg

A further view along Platform 2.

20190714_134019.jpg.5073709983a5e974b045ccd3d3bb9f60.jpg

There is actually still a platform under all that vegetation.

20190714_134105.jpg.ac06c79962f4a75cecf99beb1808e703.jpg

20190714_134111.jpg.c2407c8d96c443f8a3fbfb3317c1443c.jpg

The footbridge forms part of the square, showing the stairs down onto Platform 1. The new station building will reside roughly where the security fence is.

20190714_134148.jpg.8193a2f5a14a4fcf32c41d4d9bea7bbf.jpg

20190719_171759.jpg.5c8b850332c0ac7447561b6845d2c9f7.jpg

A little detail on the ramp - up to Wansbeck Square, down to the car park.

20190719_171806.jpg.1f315078c284281fe7dc79638da463cc.jpg

Detail around the platform ends. I rather like the run-down look of this area and will be keeping it as-is.

20190719_171825.jpg.e74e9b2e396e5006f7fa3c7bca065eba.jpg

The building which will form the backscene, with the overgrown platform in the foreground again.

20190719_172515.jpg.568370f1b1e5adafd9a0b7bbcbb7b7d8.jpg

• Like 7

I like the idea of this layout and look forward to see how it develops. When the line does re-open, it will be interesting to compare the real thing to your model!

One aspect to consider is how disabled access would be provided, even 5-10 years ago this would have been a requirement. On one side the existing ramp would likely be used. That might form the only access to the platform, although a new stair could be provided from the footbridge. On your proposed station building side, the double flight of stairs would make putting in a lift more difficult. One option would be to extend the footbridge around the corner of the brick building and then provide a new stair with lift. The brick building itself almost looks like a lift shaft so perhaps that could be taken over and the stairs modified to suit. 

Hope this is useful 

Nick 

Hi Ragtag,

as a former resident of Ashington and Area Freight Assistant for the Blyth Area

i look foward to seeing this develop.

I would prefer to see access to the stabling siding from the other direction.

It would cost an extra point but operationally i think it would be better.

Do not forget the potential to use 153s and a 37 on an Inspection Saloon.

Regards,

Trev.

7 hours ago, stivesnick said:

I like the idea of this layout and look forward to see how it develops. When the line does re-open, it will be interesting to compare the real thing to your model!

One aspect to consider is how disabled access would be provided, even 5-10 years ago this would have been a requirement. On one side the existing ramp would likely be used. That might form the only access to the platform, although a new stair could be provided from the footbridge. On your proposed station building side, the double flight of stairs would make putting in a lift more difficult. One option would be to extend the footbridge around the corner of the brick building and then provide a new stair with lift. The brick building itself almost looks like a lift shaft so perhaps that could be taken over and the stairs modified to suit. 

Hope this is useful 

Nick 

Hi Nick, both platforms actually do have level access as it stands, there is a pedestrian route around the front of the buildings (they back onto the station car park) to allow wheelchair access from one to the other via the road bridge (dark grey on the plan) - a similar arrangement in fact to Tynemouth Metro but a much shorter route.

Edited by Ragtag

4 hours ago, Sludger said:

Hi Ragtag,

as a former resident of Ashington and Area Freight Assistant for the Blyth Area

i look foward to seeing this develop.

I would prefer to see access to the stabling siding from the other direction.

It would cost an extra point but operationally i think it would be better.

Do not forget the potential to use 153s and a 37 on an Inspection Saloon.

Regards,

Trev.

Hi Trev,

thanks for the feedback - it's difficult to fit any sort of stabling in from the other direction without interfering with existing infrastructure which gives the area its character (e.g. the pillars supporting the square above).

I suppose it could be possible if the disused section of platform was demolished, something like:

377793693_Ashingtonv2.jpg.004ed884fddd12d6500a352b3d203b18.jpg

In reality I think any sort of stabling would be far more likely to occur along the line to either Lynemouth or Linton where there's ample space for such a siding (I believe Northern did a similar thing at Chathill) - I suppose its a toss-up between trying to be prototypical vs. operational interest.

I have a Northern 153 somewhere, must hunt it out.

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 2

The thing to remember of course is that it is your railway.

Go your own way but most importantly enjoy it.

One thing i recall from all those years ago were the number of

complaints we used to get about fumes from the class 56s in the

offices above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2019 at 22:57, Ragtag said:

A return of passenger services to the Blyth & Tyne line has long been discussed

Fascinating project Ragtag, I'll be following with interest. As someone who has a peripheral input in the ABT scheme in my professional life I can assure you that the reopening is going to happen! As ever, the difficulty is in serving Ashington and Bedlington with one service, so interesting to see your proposals! I know you haven't suggested this but I think a return to Newbiggin is highly unlikely but, if you do change our mind, remember.... It's your trainset!! :)

• Like 1

I agree completely, especially with such good bus service from Newbiggin - I was a little surprised to see that SENRUG had even suggested it.

Out of interest, what is it that makes serving both Ashington and Bedlington so challenging? I seem to recall that at one time the proposal was Ashington-Bedlington-Morpeth-Newcastle but I can't imagine that would be any faster than the bus would.

Another option I'm considering is adding a small DMU shed akin to that at Sheffield. Whilst clearly it's less realistic, especially with Heaton actually being on the line's route into Newcastle, it would definitely add some operational interest.

1219712505_Ashingtonmod.jpg.06c5ba8afcbb87344c8e3d6355fd7105.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 1

No!

Ragtag, please don't do another not really required diesel depot! If you want to add some operating interest, how about assuming that the route is being re-opened in sections and that some sidings are still needed for some engineering trains to help complete the works. You could base some track machines or short engineers trains for signalling cables etc. 

Just a thought.

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This looks like a very interesting project. Living in SE Northumberland I've held a great interest in the B&T for many years.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Here is a photo from 1999 showing a Class 37 with aluminium ingots at West Sleekburn

img20181216_16242549.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

This looks like a very interesting project. Living in SE Northumberland I've held a great interest in the B&T for many years.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks Alcanman - I grew up next to the line so remember well the variety of freight traffic and traction that it used to see (although the photos of the rake of NSE coaches came as a surprise!). I think I'll be starting with the powder tanks whilst I figure out the best way to model the ingot carriers. Alas the vee-type PCAs seem to be getting rather expensive for what they are as and when they turn up - may need to be a respray job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stivesnick said:

No!

Ragtag, please don't do another not really required diesel depot! If you want to add some operating interest, how about assuming that the route is being re-opened in sections and that some sidings are still needed for some engineering trains to help complete the works. You could base some track machines or short engineers trains for signalling cables etc. 

Just a thought.

Nick 

Hi Nick - I did ponder a small Network Rail depot similar to that found adjacent to Morpeth station - the issue is getting a building in as a scenic break whilst still having space for some sidings.

I took a quick look at the sidings idea and if I extend a little further along the garage wall I can use a transverse scenic break and fit some sidings in for a small NR depot. 

28307018_Ashingtonmod2.jpg.f39cfaa7eef0812385da6aafe2724f84.jpg

Still feels a bit contrived to me, not sure it's any better than the DMU depot inspired by https://www.flickr.com/photos/manofyorkshire/8568527822 (not my photo)

Sheffield DMU Depot with Pacer 142026 on Shed.

• 1 month later...

After a lot of toing and froing on this I think I've reached a compromise I can live with. No DMU depot, but a small infrastructure depot plus a stabling siding for DMUs - something akin to that at Morpeth. This should strike a balance between realism and operational interest with the added bonus of letting me run my Serco and Network Rail stock as well as room to display a few more road vehicles.

511710175_Ashingtonmod4.jpg.80846cf17e0da734f8d0b4a487d20349.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on the routes serving Ashington and have arrived at the following as a rough idea of timetable. 

Morpeth - Metro Centre

Morpeth - Pegswood - Ashington - Bedlington - all stations to Newcastle - Metro Centre

Frequency: once per hour (once per 2 hours if in italics)

Stock:

Northern Spirit era: Ashington-Newcastle operated by Class 142, Morpeth - Metro Centre operated by Class 156

Northern Rail era: Ashington-Newcastle operated by Class 142, Morpeth - Metro Centre operated by Class 156

Northern Trains era: operated by Class 156/155

Northern Connect: Berwick - Newcastle

Berwick - Chathill - Alnmouth - Widdrington - Morpeth - Ashington - Bedlington - Northumberland Park - Newcastle

Frequency: once per hour

Stock:

Northern Spirit era: Class 158

Northern Rail era: Class 158

Northern Trains era: Class 195

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I'd have thought 158s would be pretty much confined to Trans-Pennine in the Northern Spirit era... I would suggest 156s would be more "prototypical"...

They would have been, yes. However one of the main issues as I understand it with getting a regular local service running to Berwick is pathing it against the intercity services - hence why most stations north of Morpeth see around 3 trains a day stopping. The 158's superior line speed make it a better choice than the 156 in that regard - if 156s were capable of being routed in I suspect someone would have tried by now. Of course I may not run it in the Northern Spirit era at all, as I say its just a rough idea for now.

• Agree 1