Iain Rice Layout

In AN APPROACH TO MODEL RAILWAY LAYOUT DESIGN - Finescale in Small Spaces (which I have lent out but has never been returned!) Iain has a layout plan of a quay/pier into a Scottish loch, or possibly the sea. Can anyone remember the name Iain gave it so I can Google to see if anyone has scanned it and placed it on the Web.

Many thanks.

Edited by Guest
Typo

• RMweb Premium

It's not in 'Approach to Model Railway Layout Design,' it's in one of his other books, 'Light Railway Layout Designs.'

It's Gairloch* on the Wester Ross railway, about 10' x 3' in 4mm scale

I've had a quick search for the layout plan & I can't see it online anywhere, but if you're still struggling to find it, drop me a PM. 

(* Not to be confused with the Gairloch & Wester Ross Railway, which is an extensive 009 layout built by Stan Williams & the late Roger Christian)

HTH

Moxy

• Agree 2

Thank you both for replying. Gairloch rings a bell.

I’ve had a quick look but can’t find the Light Railway book either. I have it but have moved house so no idea where it currently is. 

• RMweb Premium

It could be "Shotley South Quay" which features a harbour - but Iain has set in Suffolk.

There is a very London scene, set next to the Thames - "Paradise fields".

Flicking through after a gap of many years, I am captivated by some of those lovely designs - I always fancied building Hemyock as a Bucolic GWR BLT.

There isn't much call for an exhibition layout in this part of Spain!

It’s Gairloch.

It must be one of the very few Rice track plans that isn’t online. 

Will have to order another copy of the Light Railway book just to get the plan. Ho hum. 

• RMweb Gold

It's definitely Gairloch. I've toyed with the idea of building that one myself for many years. Either complete or just the quay bit, Walthers transfer shed kit would be perfect for the fish shed with a more modern feel. If you feel like a scratch build the one at Mevagissey would be just right for a steam eira layout. Then of course there is the possibility of a spot of lighthouse building and the harbour wall and..............you get the picture, as I said I've really toyed with building this one and I'm tempted to do it in P4 as well. 

Regards Lez.Z.     

• Like 3