Interfrigo Ferry Van

grahame

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

No info, Paul, I'm afraid. There is a photo on Page 18 of 'Freight Train Formations', by David Ratcliffe, which shows a pair of MAV Refrigerated Vans behind a brace of Class 76. The photo dates from July 1974.

HI

Sorry missed this comment earlier. 

That is the very picture that inspired me to build the model.

Cheers

Paul

13 hours ago, 47137 said:

I have some models of these wagons by ACME in H0 scale. I could take some measurements or try for some better pics if this will help.

Thanks. Those pics are very useful and help confirm the roof shape - that there is a flat top section (rather than a peak) and several angled slopes to the sides.

G

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, grahame said:

Thanks. Those pics are very useful and help confirm the roof shape - that there is a flat top section (rather than a peak) and several angled slopes to the sides.

G

Yes, it's a funny shape. There is a level strip along the centre, and two angled strips each side of this. The ends are sloping but flat across the width of the roof.

Then, below all this, there is a narrow strip all round. This last strip is vertical at the ends, but sloping along the sides. Maybe you could omit this last strip in N gauge.

I took this photo outdoors in brilliant sunshine, then tweaked to try to show the shape.

- Richard.

DSCF9529.jpg.160a94379e4338f60e55dcbd96aa7787.jpg

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

It appears to have a electrical jumper on the right hand end of the buffer beam.

It looks like a UIC ETH cable, did they have electrical refrigeration equipment? 

4 hours ago, jonhall said:

No, thats a ferry van. I haven't had the enthusiasm to look up the renumbering from the pre-UIC to UIC numbers.

Jon

The big anchor symbol is a bit of a give away!  Diag E183

14 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

A general comment.  Most insulated vans tended to work to the 'Green Markets' of large urban centres, or to the main goods yard. However, for many years, the emigré Italian communities (and posssibly also the Greeks) would import fresh grapes from their region of origin, which they would press to make their daily wine. Thus, Interfrigo vans bringing these grapes would be seen in places like Luton, Bedford and Peterborough.

Like this pair in Luton IIRC the grapes were loaded stuffed into the van with no packaging as they were for pressing as mentioned. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryitalianinterfrigo/e27252bfd

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/07/2019 at 17:47, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Although not the same type I have started work in a Hungarian Interfrigo van. It’s currently stalled as I can’t find and roof or under frame detail photos.

i think it’s diagram E620/1/2 and there is one photo of the type in David Larkin’s book Working Wagons Volume 2 bottom of page 51. At the top of the same page is the type I think Grahame is referring to.

Photo of progress so far

F6C0A322-6891-411E-8641-BB72402BED1D.jpeg.8da012c73335314305fc44e33a3095b6.jpeg

Does anyone have any further information on this type?

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I have attached a copy of an older diagram (S.P.V. 6183 rev.3) which might be of some interest as it shows more detail of the end access platform arrangement, but not, unfortunately, the roof or underframe detail.

Diagram S.F.V. 6183 rev.3.doc

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 47137 said:

Yes, it's a funny shape. There is a level strip along the centre, and two angled strips each side of this. The ends are sloping but flat across the width of the roof.

Then, below all this, there is a narrow strip all round. This last strip is vertical at the ends, but sloping along the sides. Maybe you could omit this last strip in N gauge.

I took this photo outdoors in brilliant sunshine, then tweaked to try to show the shape.

- Richard.

DSCF9529.jpg.160a94379e4338f60e55dcbd96aa7787.jpg

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the photo - it does help show the roof shape and make it easier to understand how it could be modelled.

I'm playing around with the shapes with the idea of putting it through my cutter to see if it is viable to make it that way.

More after I play with the shapes and settings, won't be tomorrow as I am at hospital most of the day and anticipate being to tired once I get home to do much.

Thanks

Phil H

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

Although not the same type I have started work in a Hungarian Interfrigo van. It’s currently stalled as I can’t find and roof or under frame detail photos.

i think it’s diagram E620/1/2 and there is one photo of the type in David Larkin’s book Working Wagons Volume 2 bottom of page 51. At the top of the same page is the type I think Grahame is referring to.

Photo of progress so far

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

please can i suggest starting a separate threat about your MAV refrigerator van, to split the content from Grahames interfrigo build?

Jon

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I remember seeing some of these in Liverpool (Edge Hill?) in the late 1970s or early 1980s. I don't know what they were doing there but looked like they were stored.

Jason

Transfesa, who were part of Interfrigo, had their own depot at Wavertree; a lot of seasonal fruit and veg used insulated vans, in preference to Transfesa's blue ventilated vans.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

Transfesa, who were part of Interfrigo, had their own depot at Wavertree; a lot of seasonal fruit and veg used insulated vans, in preference to Transfesa's blue ventilated vans.

Ah. That makes sense now. There was a building not far from Edge Hill called Transfesa House. On Wavertree Road. Near the bridge. I think it's a builders merchants now.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Photo of progress so far

F6C0A322-6891-411E-8641-BB72402BED1D.jpeg.8da012c73335314305fc44e33a3095b6.jpeg

Cheers

Paul

Here are some notes I've taken from David Ratcliffe's book, "International Train Ferry Wagons in Colour" publ Ian Allan 2009 (page 16):

Dual braked

10.5 m over headstocks

6.6 m wheelbase

A metre of the interior was taken up by the ice bunkers, limiting them to a 19 tonne payload

Used in Britain mainly to carry soft fruits from Italy and central Europe to 

- Hither Green, Continental Freight Depot

- Offord & Buckden, Superior International

- Stratford, London International Freight Terminal

These wagons were registered to Hungarian Railways, and built by VEB Waggonbau Dessau in East Germany

1960s build, several batches.

This is an excellent book but unfortunately the photo of these wagons is probably the weakest photo in the whole book and not really of any help for modelling.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I gained a Marlin HO model of this type of Interfrigo wagon.

I will be extracting the measurments off the model and doing a scale drawing over the next few days.

After that I will be having a go at scratch building an N Scale model from the drawings.

Thanks

Phil H

• 4 months later...

I've finally received the axle/wheel parts and have got around to making a start on the sole-bars/underframe deck.

However, underframe details (brake cylinder, dynamo, handbrake, etc) I have is rather sketchy. I was wondering if anyone with the OO/HO model could post up a few pics of the underside to help ascertain what there is and where it is located.

Thanks in anticipation.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, grahame said:

I've finally received the axle/wheel parts and have got around to making a start on the sole-bars/underframe deck.

However, underframe details (brake cylinder, dynamo, handbrake, etc) I have is rather sketchy. I was wondering if anyone with the OO/HO model could post up a few pics of the underside to help ascertain what there is and where it is located.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Grahame,

I'll take photos shortly and post them later.

Thanks

Phil H

29 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

I'll take photos shortly and post them later.

Excellent - many thanks.

I've made the sole-bars/underframe decks and fitted the axle assemblies for three wagons. The van (NGS kit) in the pic below is to check what will be the buffer and sole-bar height - looks like it's spot on;

DSC_8953.JPG.599e1491d4dbda43f9d0d1b569b2588c.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks.

As I suspected, there seems to be very little underframe details (no batteries, truss rods, and so on) just a couple of what appear to be cylinders (brake actuator and reservoir?) and rods, and a dynamo run off one axle box end. It should keep the fabrication down. The edge steps might be more tricky and fragile.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, grahame said:

Thanks.

As I suspected, there seems to be very little underframe details (no batteries, truss rods, and so on) just a couple of what appear to be cylinders (brake actuator and reservoir?) and rods, and a dynamo run off one axle box end. It should keep the fabrication down. The edge steps might be more tricky and fragile.

Hi

I usually make my steps from wire and drill holes to securely attach them.

Belgian_e423.jpg.1530aa811a8ff9cb19ebc6cbb3de6e55.jpg

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

I was a little worried about the height of the Interfrigo wagon model being too high while I was starting to build the roof, but it seems to be on a par with a Farish VGA van.

DSC_8973.JPG.a3504905102b1bfc0a53e24f8a579dd1.JPG

I need to get some cosmetic axle boxes and brakes. One of the axle boxes is different to the rest - presumably it is the one connected and driving the dynamo:

305253544_IF11A.jpg.f70880a286a99927da494c11dc3bf554.jpg