DCC Ready 30850 Lord Nelson.

atom3624

All I can say is 'THANK YOU RAILS'.

Don't know why Hornby don't produce 3-option locomotives like other (newer) producers / retailers are doing now.

DCC Ready  /  DCC  /  DCC Sound.

FINALLY have managed to locate a Lord Nelson as I want it - DCC Ready.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

As an N Gauge modeller I am intrigued.

Are you saying that Hornby don't just stick a blanking panel in their DCC loco and call it DC?

They actually use a different PCB in the DC loco?

Thanks,

John P

Others will correct me but ...

I THINK that normally a DCC FITTED locomotive - with or without sound - CAN run on DC.

This model CANNOT.

You have to disconnect the DCC chip and insert a blanking plate.

If that is all which is required - which I hope is correct - then it is relatively simple - just unplug and fit the blanking plate - run on DC.

This implies there is NO CHANGE to the PCB.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jpendle said:

Are you saying that Hornby don't just stick a blanking panel in their DCC loco and call it DC? 

Thanks,

John P 

It's mostly that the last few factory fitted TTS models have had DC running disabled on their decoders out of the factory combined with Hornby doing specific somewhat desired running numbers/names as TTS fitted only. Wouldn't be quite so silly if like Dapol DCC fitted models they actually included a blanking plug to fit if desired.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2019 at 06:31, Kaput said:

Wouldn't be quite so silly if like Dapol DCC fitted models they actually included a blanking plug to fit if desired.

Do they not do this anymore? The TTS king I bought came with a blanking plug. 

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2019 at 04:41, jpendle said:

Thanks,

John P

They do use the same PCB with a blanking plug for DC models but I think the OP was referring to the fact that Lord Nelson was released by Hornby as a TTS fitted model only. Rails have removed this as they quite often do with new releases to enable people to buy it cheaper without the parts they won’t use and then they sell the decoder separately. It’s a good way to do it. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Corrected content
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Do they not do this anymore? The TTS king I bought came with a blanking plug. 

Neither my TTS fitted Tornado or Maude came with a blanking plug so it seems to be something they've stopped.

The TTS Sound removed is a special Rails do from time to time - very clever.

It's unfortunate Hornby are so short-sighted they cannot throw what will be £0.50 or less blanking plug into the box of a £150.00 locomotive.

As my OP mentioned, I reckon they're missing the plot not offering all 3 options on each locomotive.

It could arrive at the retailer as DCC ready, they supply DCC or TTS chips extra to them and they're added in accordance with the purchasers' requirements.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought mine last week at £119.50 and it said 'last few left'. Checking their website now it looks like they've run out as it's not coming up in the search.

• RMweb Gold

Well of course you could ask any retailer of choice for a price on any de-TTS moduled model.You might be pleasantly surprised at the response.....as I was recently with a different Hornby release.No,it wasn’t Rails to be absolutely fair and not my place to reveal the source concerned. The point of posting this is to point out that it does pay to ask.A refusal isn’t going to cause damage,is it ?

• Like 2